Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:50 pm 

Hello,

I am new to PCP airguns and have a serious doubt on my new purchase!

I got myself a Fx Royale 500, shot more than 1000 shots with it, Chrony it to 801fps MAX., 741fps MIN., 774fps AVG and 5.4fps STD deviation with JSB King Heavy MKII 33.9gr.

At 50 yards, shooting 10 shot strings, I just can't get more than 1 inch group, no real flyers problems, almost always forming a group, but never smaller than an inch, I do better with my Tx200mk3!!!

I cleaned the barrel several times, it seems to improve a bit for about 100 shots then it's back to 1 inch.

I though that a Fx airgun would be more accurate than that!

Is there something that I should know about PCP that is different than springers?

I don't consider myself to be a super shoother, but I think that Iam not the problem!

Any ideas, somebody??

Thank you!

Black JP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 pm 

Black JP wrote:
Hello,

I am new to PCP airguns and have a serious doubt on my new purchase!

I got myself a Fx Royale 500, shot more than 1000 shots with it, Chrony it to 801fps MAX., 741fps MIN., 774fps AVG and 5.4fps STD deviation with JSB King Heavy MKII 33.9gr.

At 50 yards, shooting 10 shot strings, I just can't get more than 1 inch group, no real flyers problems, almost always forming a group, but never smaller than an inch, I do better with my Tx200mk3!!!

I cleaned the barrel several times, it seems to improve a bit for about 100 shots then it's back to 1 inch.

I though that a Fx airgun would be more accurate than that!

Is there something that I should know about PCP that is different than springers?

I don't consider myself to be a super shoother, but I think that Iam not the problem!

Any ideas, somebody??

Thank you!

Black JP

Hi there. You’re likely going to get a lot of different suggestions from some very knowledgeable people here. Have you tried other pellets? I had a similar issue with an Air Arms S400, my standard go to jsb pellets didn’t produce great groups. Had to try 5 different pellets until I found the one that worked. Might be something you’ll need to consider?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:01 pm 

Hello fishguy,

Yes, I tried the JSB King 25.39gr and the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme 28.4gr. I tried these because they were recommended from several reviewers of the Fx 500, but the 33.9gr hold better in the winds so I choose to work with them....any suggestions on other pellets?

Thanks for the response!

Black JP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 pm 

Forget the wind for the time being. Being a .25 cal rifle, it should be shooting 850-900 fps. It's likely the JSB King Heavys are just too much for the rifle; experiment more with the recommended pellets and shoot on a day where the wind is at least consistent so you can shoot for groups. Obviously, a better option when experimenting with pellets in a new rifle is to test in a controlled environment (read indoor range). For many, that's not possible, so patience becomes the virtue.

If you're confident the issue is not you, I'm equally confident it's not the fine rifle you have chosen.

My $0.00. which is exactly what two cents is worth today.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:28 am 

Have you tried taking off the scope, rings etc. completely & remount ? Also have you tried a different scope altogether ? Possible shifting/floating/dancing reticule.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:57 am 

The ES of 60fps or7.75% is terrible. You'd expect a regulated gun to not be more than 1% ES.
That alone can be responsible for a 1" vertical spread according to Chairgun.
There is something wrong with the regulator. Send it back to get it fixed or replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Forget the wind for the time being. Being a .25 cal rifle, it should be shooting 850-900 fps. It's likely the JSB King Heavys are just too much for the rifle; experiment more with the recommended pellets and shoot on a day where the wind is at least consistent so you can shoot for groups. Obviously, a better option when experimenting with pellets in a new rifle is to test in a controlled environment (read indoor range). For many, that's not possible, so patience becomes the virtue.

If you're confident the issue is not you, I'm equally confident it's not the fine rifle you have chosen.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, I will try other pellets again!

Have a nice day!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
Have you tried taking off the scope, rings etc. completely & remount ? Also have you tried a different scope altogether ? Possible shifting/floating/dancing reticule.

Yes, I did! I am a fan of Hawke scope, all my scopes are Airmax 30mm, tried 3 different on it, did not change a thing. I am using FX no limit rings, zeroed the best I could with the rings, then fine tune with the turret, end of with 6 clicks elevation and 4 clicks windage.

Thanks for responding!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 am 

My take on this new air gun .25 one 1nch groups at 50 yards is very good
Up the fps and see what happens and of course use JSP pellets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am 

With just getting back into Air Guns and a totally noob on PCP's...
I'm asking here...isn't that much spread on your FPS rather large for a $1800 PCP?
I was thinking maybe 1-5 fps difference.Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 am 

I know nothing specifically about the FX Royale.... but if it is regulated and getting random velocities between 741-801 fps there is a SERIOUS problem with the gun.... Regulated PCPs should hold a 1-2% ES (in your case a max. of 16 fps) over the entire range of pressure between a full tank and setpoint, with unweighed pellets.... With weighed and sized pellets that should be 1% or less.... If you are shooting until the pressure drops below the regulator setpoint, then of course that would not apply, because you are operating the gun outside it's designed range....

I would agree that the 25.4 gr. JSB Kings, which should shoot about 880-900 fps in your gun (based on the 45 FPE it shoots with the 34 gr.) may be a better choice.... I would try those on a calm day and see what groups you get.... IMO an $1800 PCP should certainly be capable of under 1" groups at 50 yards from the bench in good conditions....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:03 pm 

If you bought the gun from Airgun Source and they repair your gun, they can just as easily turn up the repaired regulator and hammer spring a tad to enable you to shoot your preferred 34g pellets in the mid to upper 800 fps range.
They may refuse though due to warranty issues.
They're good guys just talk to them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:41 am 

I have the same gun, increase reg pressure to 150 and turn up the hammer spring and you can get 60FPE. The King Heavies need more speed than the 775 you're giving them, I've managed to get them over 900. The standard kings I think shoot slightly better, even up to 950 they're deadly accurate at 50m and excellent 1.5 inch average groups at 100m. I managed to shoot several groups under an inch at 100m with both kings and king heavies. Best being .643 5 shot group at 100m

I've bought a .22 ST barrel and the pellet probe/delrin guide (from fx400) for my 500 so I can shoot both calibers. Give this platform a bit of time to figure out, it's really amazing.

If you're unhappy with the regulator HUMA makes one, I ordered one a little while ago should be here in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:02 pm 

Glem - that is amazing accuracy. 1 1/2" and some down to 1" is really special for an air rifle.

Have you tested it with one of Bob's boat tails from NOE moulds - or does it have smooth twist barrel?

I don't know if the bullets are compatible with those. My Condor really likes the 51gr., but I have not shot it past 50 metes yet.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... jthuqorfg4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Cheers.

Rounded up, your two cents worth is worth allot more than you think!

I was equally disappointed and had some accuracy issues with my new Weihrauch HW-100S - turned out to be pellet weight. Once I got it nailed down to JSB 18g and above, the Weihrauch lived up to its reputation, becoming the most accurate rifle in my collection.

Your FPS spread however is not what it should be, and I agree with others this may be the root cause of your 1 inch groupings. Why don’t you chrony again with various pellets and see if there is any improvement.

Cheers!

Avisnmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*