Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 am 

Do yoo think it's possible to start a successful business for everyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 am 

In a single word, no. I would equate the word success as profitable. There are many factor that can will influence the profitability of any business but the common elements is experience (in both market and business operations), perseverance, and hard-work. Most new business will not make any money in the first few years. Most people need money now. So no.

Daisy 953
Baikal IZH-61
Crosman 1077
Pioneer 6432 (B2)
Bunch of pistols

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:37 am 

I already have an organic food company and it was a long road for me to achieve success and good profit :) . From my own experience I can say that starting your own business is possible for everyone in fact but making it successful isn't for everyone because that demands really much work from you, long and hard, patience and great motivation, the last ones are important too because it's not only a long road but also a risky one too, you'll face different risks and fails often so these character features are really necessary for overcoming them and continuing your work.
The other important things for making any company profitable are having an interesting and competitive idea for it, creating a professional and strong work team, investing time and money in effective management system which will be the basis for successful functioning of your whole company as also in various tech innovations for improving the general quality of your work https://idapgroup.com/blog/devops-principles-explained-all-pros-and-cons/, developing an effective network for your clients/customers and partners and careful planning of your budget, especially for the first years. Oh, and good advertising is a necessary thing too, ignoring it is a popular big mistake for many startups.
So if you don't have clear goals and passion for your business idea, than it's really not for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 am 

In general, the best way to make a small fortune in your own business is to start with a large one.... :roll:

Few people have the dedication to work for 80-100 hours a week for little if any return.... If your business grows to the point you need employees, you spend additional hours working for free for the government collecting taxes and making payroll deductions and submitting them.... plus dealing with Employment Insurance and Workers Compensation regulations....

For that rare person with the drive to succeed on your own, and the work ethic required, it can be extremely rewarding.... but expect to put in huge amounts of time "for free", particularly for the first few years....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm 

I Did and I still do, it's not all glory 1$ come in one hand and 95 Cent go out the other
But I have no boss and I can work at my speed since I'm flat rate.

I'm Auto Mechanic it's dirty hard work but honest and rewarding, and I get to talk with lots of people in a week and that's cool.

To open a company you need to be a pro at what you want to open and have a ton of experience and lots of cash already in the bank you will sure need to be able to cover your bills for the next 4 to 5 years.

The rate of pay to hours worked, I make less then minimum salary but it's better then working in a mechanic shop having to work super fast stress out and never a thank you.

No I don't recoment everyone to open there own company leave it to the pro's that know there stuff and been working 20 plus years and have a ton of training.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 pm 

I think it depends on what type of ppl you are... Just like some are born salesman, and some never can do that....

I came to Canada about 20 years ago... And I went to the college nigh school for auto bodyshop and planned to open my own shop as this market will never be full... 20 years later, the market just getting bigger and still hard to find a good painter / mechanic / etc...

However, after I finished part of my cert ( you need to complete several courses and passed them all to get the final qualification certificate)... I already know I won't be able to open my shop... A totally qualified shop you have to deal too many matters... Of course you need to good at what you do, then.... holy-shxt... Environmental, government regulation, softwares, etc etc..... And I don't want to walk on the gray area like most of the other small shops do out there....

But that's good as then the course turned out for my interest class only and I did learnt many things I want to know ...

And I made a friend in the same class which just like me, from the same place and just landed soon... He's a good born body shop mechanic, honest, concentrated.... He finished all the course and started his business.... He borrowed the equipments and place from another small bodyshop... Maybe I can say 'self-employeed' ?! Then built up his reputation and made his business bigger and bigger... So far about 15 years, he owned his bodyshop completely and I can say he's a winner~

And me, I am just a good employee and stayed in the same company from an entry level hand pack worker to a department manager in the past 15 years. And the company developed from maybe just less than 10 injection molding machines to now 2 sites in the same area about 150 machines and over 500 emplyees... However it looks my friend surely has a better future prospects than me... I didn't jealous or upset for anything, I just know I am not that type and I can never did the same thing like my friend....

A little bit sad is I looks can't in charge of my own career and depends on a good boss which looks a little bit hard especially you already is a manager and not as easy to meet a good boss like you were a normal operator or worker any more...

Sent from my LG cellphone

Daisy 953/3-9x40 AO Hawke Scope
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 pm 

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you both took the paths you were meant to take, and sure nothing to be ashamed of it. It's not everyone can be a manager either, especially being a good one.

As for me, I'm a lousy salesman for sure, lol, and will probably never make any money. But I do enjoy offering a service, and enjoy being able to provide something that hopefully people can enjoy for years and do it in a friendly way, and I enjoy you all, so why not? =)

If I manage to get the Snowpeak guns available in Canada and attract some new airgunners to the sport, I'll be happy, and I won't mind if that's all I accomplish. Guys like Raman at Canadashootingsupply.ca and Kelly at D&l Airgun are the real troopers, who've invested themselves and sacrificed for this sport and I sure wish them all the best, and that this sport grows enough that they have to hire on new workers to keep up!

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am 

Thanks Wes ~

Actually not really like my current job however as a supporter of a family, not easy to make transitions any more...

I like the job 20 years ago right before I left China to immigrate to Canada... I was an IT guy outsourced to Nortel China. Really happy everyday as the most word I heard was 'Thank You' ~ very rewardable as you did help ppl and they appreciated your help.... Of course, pays good and very nice working environment....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
As for me, I'm a lousy salesman for sure, lol, and will probably never make any money. But I do enjoy offering a service, and enjoy being able to provide something that hopefully people can enjoy for years and do it in a friendly way, and I enjoy you all, so why not? =)

If I manage to get the Snowpeak guns available in Canada and attract some new airgunners to the sport, I'll be happy, and I won't mind if that's all I accomplish.

We all see your effort and it did have a nice srart! Just keep on the good work and good luck!!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am 

Thanks =)
That does sound like it was a great job! Well, if retirement is not too far away, maybe that fresh start will happen yet, along with a lot of shooting those airguns!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 am 

Sometimes work is just the thing we do to put food on the table, and we find other ways to enjoy life outside work. Knowing we are providing a home for our children and opportunities to pursue their dreams can be a great joy too, but still, often those opportunities to do something we love are out there, we just need to dare to look and go for it when the time is ripe. =)
I'm 41 and have recently switched careers, went back to school and just finishing my Masters degree. It's weird starting over again, but exciting as well!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Thanks =)
That does sound like it was a great job! Well, if retirement is not too far away, maybe that fresh start will happen yet, along with a lot of shooting those airguns!

lol~ Selling air guns or working in this field doesn't means you will shoot a lot ~

Did you talk to Mr.Marvin? Once I asked him how do you feel about this gun.... His answer was 'I don't shoot ~' lol ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am 

I have a friend all he does is works.

Between 3 nursing homes, a few apartments, a garage he rents out, some Airbib. He has no real time to be a father. Or do anything. Hes like we should go shooting sometime and that as far as it gets.

Or I want to start a gun shop in the Valley. Has the license to start. Sure ill help, only because I got income coming in, and he does. So could sell for less, to sell more. And still come out on top.

I thought about buying a back hoe and renting it out. Only because I'm getting bored of this early retirement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 am 

What a busy life.... But sometimes life itself just pushing you, and you can't stop....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am 

YepYep wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:
Thanks =)

lol~ Selling air guns or working in this field doesn't means you will shoot a lot ~

Did you talk to Mr.Marvin? Once I asked him how do you feel about this gun.... His answer was 'I don't shoot ~' lol ~

True enough! I actually was referring to yourself, hoping that things would work out for you to be able to shoot more in the future, but I was probably overestimating your age since you have children etc. Yep, I don't get to shoot near enough!