Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:19 pm 

I'm curious about all you guys and how you got into air gunning. I suppose someone had a thread on this before, still I'm sure there is lots that haven't been shared =).
For me, I woke up Christmas morning at 10 years old and there was the best present a boy could want under the tree, a break barrel 177 air rifle!
It was a cheap Chinese one from peaveymart or princess auto, but to me it was beautiful! I got lucky too, cause I won the lottery on accuracy and power. There wasn't a barn swallow or sparrow that wasn't in mortal danger on our farm! My dad especially didn't like barn swallows because of the mess they made, so it was my job to get rid of them. I shot it every day, hunted birds and squirrels and rabbits and gophers. Shot a pile of em. My cousin got an air rifle too and we were the deadly duo =). We'd ride our bikes with our air rifles out to the gopher pasture and spend the day or we'd go hunting rabbits on this big hill of new little trees and dead falls that was full of them. Learned how to skin and stretch the hides and mom would cook them in sweet and sour sauce.
Then somehow I eventually left air gunning behind, started shooting 22 rifle more then hunting big game, elk moose deer.
Wasn't til I was married and had kids and life started getting too stressful that I ended up returning to my love for the sport. Got a Crosman 1322 for an early Christmas present, started reading Bob Sterne's and Doc Sharptail's threads on modding the crosman guns and pretty soon I was hooked! A whole new world opened up and a great new hobby!
I've enjoyed so much reading everyone's posts on here and the cool projects and new guns and great mods. Someday I hope to get into Field target shooting!

OK, it's all your turns now. =)
Let's hear the stories!

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 pm 

It all started with the rare trip out with my Father and a friend of his doing some target shooting out at Shawnigan Lake (north of Victoria) with a single shot .22 Cooey rifle.

Many years later (after my Father had moved far, far away) my need to reconnect to that old memory led me to air guns and I have been buying and selling them and using them ever since....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm 

lol~ a nice start, Wes!

Actually I put on my story in the introduce section while I joined the forum ~

A further extension is long time ago while I was still a little kid, I had some memory about my elder cousin leaded me to the lake and bush near his home in my visit and showed me the air rifle (I know nothing about it until now it should be some kind of under level multi pump single shot with 5 shots clip magazine...).... We shot the birds and the lake, but not able to bring anything home for dinner ~ [emoji16]

Then a long time blank period until I got an airsoft pistol as gift from a friend of my parents in senior high school age ... Then I gave it to my best friend when I came to Canada as I know I can't bring it with me in the plane....

Then another long time of blank for many years until about a year before, while I shop online for body cream in Wal-Mart.ca, I found it sell air guns too by accident!! And got my MP5.... Then in order to know more, I found this forum (I googled questions about my BB gun, and many answers linked to this forum... ) and so lucky I joined it and met so many great guys here and learnt so much too!!

Just hope I can have more time and freedom to shoot shoot shoot ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am 

Great stories! =)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 am 

Had a Diana48 years ago , still got it started shooting more regularly again about 15 years ago, got a100s & aas410 .Out just about every day after pigeon squirrels rabbits .Know all farmers around can shoot almost anywhere I like. Just love it . Good shooting .
wesb2007 wrote:
I'm curious about all you guys and how you got into air gunning. I suppose someone had a thread on this before, still I'm sure there is lots that haven't been shared =).
For me, I woke up Christmas morning at 10 years old and there was the best present a boy could want under the tree, a break barrel 177 air rifle!
It was a cheap Chinese one from peaveymart or princess auto, but to me it was beautiful! I got lucky too, cause I won the lottery on accuracy and power. There wasn't a barn swallow or sparrow that wasn't in mortal danger on our farm! My dad especially didn't like barn swallows because of the mess they made, so it was my job to get rid of them. I shot it every day, hunted birds and squirrels and rabbits and gophers. Shot a pile of em. My cousin got an air rifle too and we were the deadly duo =). We'd ride our bikes with our air rifles out to the gopher pasture and spend the day or we'd go hunting rabbits on this big hill of new little trees and dead falls that was full of them. Learned how to skin and stretch the hides and mom would cook them in sweet and sour sauce.
Then somehow I eventually left air gunning behind, started shooting 22 rifle more then hunting big game, elk moose deer.
Wasn't til I was married and had kids and life started getting too stressful that I ended up returning to my love for the sport. Got a Crosman 1322 for an early Christmas present, started reading Bob Sterne's and Doc Sharptail's threads on modding the crosman guns and pretty soon I was hooked! A whole new world opened up and a great new hobby!
I've enjoyed so much reading everyone's posts on here and the cool projects and new guns and great mods. Someday I hope to get into Field target shooting!

OK, it's all your turns now. =)
Let's hear the stories!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:05 am 

My first pellet gun experience was with a springer~ a Toz (Pre-Baikal Russian) something or other that was out fitted with a globe front, and aperture rear. I'm fairly certain it was a detuned rifle. I could hit bottle caps with it reliably at 15-20 yds, and they would not pierce- just simply dented them. There was a marksman 10-10 b.b. pistol in my history prior to that, but very un-remarkable....

I had always been, and still am a powder burner. Nothing has changed there.
The nice thing about airguns is they can be shot indoors, still quite cheaply. I'm still a single hole chaser, and the practice pays decent dividends.

Getting here was a bit different for me. There was no fuss about introducing myself, or not.
I had bought a 22-89 carbine and had locked the valve through over pumping :lol:
I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th CAF board iteration now .
Always something interesting here too.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 am 

Shot bow only the past twelve years. Shot them upstairs of my house, gun club, target shoots, 3D, hunting and back yard. Broke my shoulder 2 1/2 years ago playing hockey and had to have something to shoot in my house so got into pellet guns. Will always be into pellet guns now. Have not shot pellet guns since I was a teenager many years ago. Some play video games in the home and some of us shoot the real deal instead. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 am 

Well mom didn't like guns. So my uncle would make me wooden guns. I would shoot airguns at friends, but still wouldn't be able to own one. I think I coaxed dad to buy me a Marksman pump BB rifle. And then a Crosman 2100, and a Crosman 1008.

Living in the suburbs it was easier to shoot airguns in the backyard then a 22. I'm sure when I was younger I put pellets in other people sheds and such. Being careless.

Then I got into firearms, and air guns got low on the list. Then found that airguns over 500 fps required a license and registration ( LGR ) ATM, I never bothered getting back into them. When the LGR got removed, I got back into them.

When I live in my apartment, it was over a hour to the range so I bought airguns to shoot indoors. And tried to shoot at mom farm when I visited.

Now I live in the country and it's more acceptable. I try and shoot when its less windy. But there are limitations. If the neighbors are out doing yard work, or the grand kids are out. Or lately the neighbor been non stop yard sales and don't need some city people on a sunday drive freaking out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 am 

Even with the restrictions, it must be a relief to have more space to shoot hey!
Great to hear people's stories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Even with the restrictions, it must be a relief to have more space to shoot hey!
Great to hear people's stories.

Kinda when you got the space but really can't.

Well before he wasn't allowed to sell during the week, so I shoot during the weekend, and not shoot over the weekend when he sells. Now its every day. He would be the type of person to call the county on me, because it effecting his sales. But not come and talk to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 am 

Dang, that would be a disappointment to have such a neighbor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 am 

Dang! This guy is bad ~

And it's summer time... Sales will be non stop until it gets cold, right?

And no good to shoot outside in the winter, right?

And then this year is just past.... [emoji29]

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Dang, that would be a disappointment to have such a neighbor

Yes it is. Esp with the backyard I got. Nothing behind me, so really don't need a backstop, but I still shoot at a pellet trap or make bunkers for my spinners. I was fine with only shooting during the week. But the non stop selling, the random people showing up. Hes one to gossip. About the problem with his neighbors, or how I got a dangerous dog ( PFF because you wont meet her )

He shoots rats, but he already sued the other neighbors, so you never know. He hates my dog, because she wants him to play or meet him. They won't let me bring her over to meet. Or come over and meet.

Just one of those guys that need to mind his business.

Only solution is spending a grand and putting up a privacy fence. There won't need to worry about a guy with a gun, or my dog.

YepYep wrote:
Dang! This guy is bad ~

And it's summer time... Sales will be non stop until it gets cold, right?

And no good to shoot outside in the winter, right?

And then this year is just past.... [emoji29]

The neighbor he sued, works as accountant. She knew people in the county that made him purchase permits to sell during the week. But I'm guessing the judge said he can and since then, he been out every day with his bird feeder signs, or garage sale.

Winter I can shoot. I open up a window in the porch, and can shovel a path to a target. Little cold but do able.

But if I have to go into the city with the wife. My mother and step father lives next town over. They will come over to take out my dog, and he will come out side to check who they are, or what they are doing. Yes because thiefs will take out my dog and play with her.

I dunno hes a nice guy, just needs to mind his own.

I had a airgun go super sonic, and was LOUD, I just put my airgun away and waited. Figure he might call the cops. Yet wants me to kill the crows.
Also I was talking to the club president of my gun club, whom I bought my house from. He was telling me all about him, when he was redoing my house. Telling him to mow the lawn and such.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 pm 

Geez! Time to put in the fence I'd say!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm 

Yeah... Put the fence on and try to split the cost with your neighbor as it will do good to both of you ~ and usually we will do like that for the fence cost right?

~Target~