Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: The Other Bug
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 am 

My other weakness ( I can hear wifey doing her Liz Taylor eyeball roll from here ) is steel tube Weaver rifle scopes.

It all started when I gave my wife a Squires Bingham 20-D rifle. She wanted a light weight scope for it, since the rifle weighed 6 3/4 lbs iron sighted.
I hummed and hawed around a bit, and found in a pawnshop a Weaver B-4 3/4" tube scope. I mounted it and sighted it in. Talk about love at first sight. That scope found a home on my 10-22, and Wife got a brand new Bushnell 4 X 32 rimfire scope. Everyone ended up happy. I've been keeping an eye out for the steel tube W's for close to 30 years now...

Anyways, here's a look at just the tip of the ice berg...

Left to right:

Weaver B-4 in good collector grade. (It's not the first one that started it all) Early version with steel eye-bell and open turrets. In 3/4" Weaver rings to Weaver base.

Weaver D-4. This is the only one I've seen that isn't roll stamped "Marksman". In original manufacture Burris steel 3/4" rimfire rings. (those rings cost more than the scope did)

Weaver K-3 60-B. It's in standard 1" Weaver clamshell rings.

Weaver K-4-1. This is an early version of the famed micro-track system. Shown in aluminum Leupold vertical split rings. It has a post and cross-hair reticle, which is very fast on running targets.

Weaver K-12-C-3. I believe this is a pre 1980 scope, which would make it's manufacture date a 2 year window. It lacks the El Paso roll-stamp mark. A/O from 50 FEET to 10000 yds. A very recent acquisition for me. :mrgreen: Haven't shot with it yet...

Weaver V-9-1. 3-9 X 38 mm A/O from about 40 yds to 1000 yds.

Accouterments across the top from left to right:

Weaver TO-10 tip-off adapter plate. Originally made for the Winchester 94-22, it fits any action that is dovetailed for tip-off rimfire style rings. It is notched for weaver style rings and has a rimfire dovetail groove as well.

UTG adapter riser from rimfire dovetail to Weaver picatinny.

Sun optics adapter plates for two piece mounting on a rimfire rail. Notched for Weaver style rings.

Standard Weaver 1" clamshell rings.

At top is a factory original scope caps for "B" series 3/4" scopes.

Most of these are built like tanks. I think I'm just a sucker for decent blued steel :rolleyes:

K-12 mounted on my 2100/13 and ready for sighting in:

K-3-60-B mounted:

Sun Optics adapter plates in use:

K-3 shoots like this:

That is a clean pull ring tab rivet take out at 12 meters. 8.2 gr R-10 Match by rws. About 560 fps.

Same pellet and distance. White rectangle is 1/4" dia.
Both shot off-hand, kneeling. I still got it! :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

Post subject: Re: The Other Bug
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 am 

Great collection and great offhand shooting! Sounds like you've got more of those in your closet as well! [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am 

Yeah I like retro K4's... I miss my K4 with the German post reticle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:33 am 

Here's a few reticles.

Fine cross-hair on a Weaver K-3 60B.

Tapered post and cross-wire on a K-4-1.

Picket post and square cross posts in another K-3 60B.

Reticle on top is easiest for me to use. Second from top reticle is good in low light/fast shooting conditions. Not really made for shooting for group. Bottom reticle strikes me as strictly for big game. I shot for group with it, and it grouped reasonably well.

13-77 carbine with fine cross-hairs K-3 aboard. On my scale, the whole works is 4 -3/4 lbs.

It groups like this at 12 meters and 8 pumps with the 8.44 JSB domes.
Grouse opener is just a shade over 5 weeks from now, and I think this rig is ready. Now just to clean the rust away from my off-hand :wink:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:24 am 

Nice collection, they don't make 'em like they used to!

How much would one of these typically set you back?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am 

PZAM wrote:
How much would one of these typically set you back?

It depends on where you are buying, and condition.
I get most of them at gun shows. Pricing can be all over the map.
I paid 40 for the K-3 shown on the carbine. It had been a bit of a show table drama queen, covered in various and assorted price tags.
Asked the vendor the price and gave him 40. I honestly think he wanted to get rid of it.
I think I paid 60 for the K-4.
The V-9 set me back 120, and was bought on CGN after a lot of discussion with the seller.
A good time to buy is in the last hour of a 2 day show. This is when sellers are a bit more amenable to reasonable bargaining....
The 3/4" tube rimfire scopes can be had anywhere from 5 bucks and up.

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:38 am 

That's less than I expected, thanks for the info.