Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm 

Shopping for a competitive HFT gun.

Looking at the TX200 but this spring kit by Vortek is confusing me.
Why would I want to add it? Doesn't a stock TX200 in .177 cal shoot at 12 foot pounds already?

This same description says the kit will get your TX200 to 12FPE AND 15-17FPE.
Must be a typo about the 12FPE, right?
https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/vortek-v ... -tune.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:35 pm 

I don't have a TX200, but what I read is that this kit ''Give your TX200 and Pro-Sport over 12+ ft-lbs of energy'', and also ''Users can expect 15-17 FPE after installation'', so I don't see a typo there.

They also state that ''This kit is engineered to produce the smooth, consistent velocities and eliminate spring harmonic noise... and your air rifle will perform exceptionally smooth during lock-up, and quiet the close of the cycle''. So I guess there's more to it than just the power increase. I don't know if the TX200 is a ''twangy'' rifle, but this kit seems to smooth the cocking/firing cycle as well as upping the power. Up to you to determine if you need a smoother and/or more powerful rifle 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm 

The vortek kit smooths out the shot cycle significantly. Quiets it down as well. The stock setup is rather clunky. Having said this, there are better kits if you can get your hands on them. Custom tuning has been suggested to me which is probably the best route if your going to compete. I'd definitely put a kit in your tx200.

opps, everything airmec said. All true.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:24 pm 

I got the description wrong. Thanks for pointing out the syntax.

My question now is; do the other rifles I'm comparing to the TX200 also need an upgrade to be competitive out of the box?
A tuning might be down the road but I'm starting out and would like opinions on which of these three .177 under levers are closest to match ready out of the box.

Weihrauch HW97k
Walther LGU
AA TX200

They are all close in price unless it has to be upgraded with a $$$ kit.
All are well loved by their owners but one seems to get the 'shoots great right out of the box' comment more than the others.
To me, velocity is less important than repeatable accuracy, as in one shot at 40mm kill zone at 55 yards for HFT.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 pm 

I can only speak for the TX, it is night and day difference. Stock configuration is accurate but harsh. Night and day with the vortek kit. When you see one of the kits you'll understand why. Other than ther spring itself all the metal parts are replaced with delrin, or some other high quality plastic. The stock spring will probably last longer but a small price to pay for the improved shooting characteristics. Once again night and day. I have to believe the other worthy two, the LGU and 97 are the same. Just do it. You will not regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am 

Thanks for the dose of reality.
Maybe I'm dreaming a top tier springer can compete next to PCP guns like Steyr, FX and BSA.

There's a club meeting at the end of the month and one member is hosting an 'introduction to HFT' in Chilliwack BC on August 12 at the Chilliwack R&G Club I plan on attending. Perhaps I'll get a chance to shoot one of these top tier underlever springers. I've shot a BSA and FX Streamline PCP and they were just perfect but $$$ and I've got a $$ budget.

Looking at this Gamo Coyote PCP with a BSA barrel and it seems to good to be true at under $400 if and when it becomes available.
But can a $$ PCP match a $$$ PCP? Us cheapskates want to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

Just sharing my experience with the TX200 and the HW97KT, and the Gamo Coyote..

I used to have the TX200hc in 22 and the Gamo, and still have the HW97k in the blackline configuration (black synthetic). All are in 22 cal btw. I equipped the TX with the Vortek since I felt it a bit harsh during the firing cycle and a bit "Twangy" . Cycle smoothed out significantly and after sight picture holds still. Then I purchase the HW97.. Shot it out of the box and to my surprise, it does pellet on pellet grouping with the smoother trigger (to my opinion). There's a bit of "shake" after each shot but if you hold it correctly, the pellet goes to where you point it. I bought a Vortek kit for the HW but up to now I haven't installed it since I feel there's no need for it yet.. HW rifle shoots almost as accurate as some of my PCP's if done right... The Gamo I used to have is very accurate as well but a bit heavy. I sold it to get my AirArms S410 which is another very accurate rifle. Goodluck on your search! ;-)

Pushtone wrote:
I got the description wrong. Thanks for pointing out the syntax.

My question now is; do the other rifles I'm comparing to the TX200 also need an upgrade to be competitive out of the box?
A tuning might be down the road but I'm starting out and would like opinions on which of these three .177 under levers are closest to match ready out of the box.

Weihrauch HW97k
Walther LGU
AA TX200

They are all close in price unless it has to be upgraded with a $$$ kit.
All are well loved by their owners but one seems to get the 'shoots great right out of the box' comment more than the others.
To me, velocity is less important than repeatable accuracy, as in one shot at 40mm kill zone at 55 yards for HFT.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

Perfect, that is several of the guns I'm looking at. Very helpfull. Thx
I keep going back and forth between the underlevers and PCP.

Spring guns represent a lower cost to entry when it comes to HFT but it seems like there are lower priced PCP's coming out all the time...

The Coyote was fitted with a BSA barrel in 2017 (comparable to the BSA Buccaneer) would be a huge bargain at around $400.

The Walther 1250 would be the next on the performance/bargain list with some impressive known performance at $650. Under rated IMO.

Next is the Air Arms S200 at $750.

And from there it jumps up to $1300 for the FX Streamline which I shot once and has useful features like power adjuster.

Did I miss anything worthy between $400 - 1300?

BTW sorry to start a thread about a springer and then end with PCP's. Sign of the times. Sales of spring guns must be falling off I'd think, especially in N. America

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 pm 

Not is only the pcp is expensive but the pump and air tanks which you can not do without.

The 3 UL springers will do their part. Up to you to do yours.

AA S400, and the 510 are valid pcp options. There are people out there using marauders.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Not is only the pcp is expensive but the pump and air tanks which you can not do without.

Exactly, which leaves less for a scope.
I'm just put off that 'the smoothest shooting' underlever needs a $100 kit to really be smooth.

I went to my first HFT meet last month. I was hoping to see someone using a springer but no, all PCP. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm 

I have mostly PCP's but still keep my HW97k blackline. There's a truth in saying " Not all who could shoot a PCP accurately could shoot a springer as accurately, but those who can easily shoot a springer would find it easier to shoot a PCP". I agree to this based on my airgunning experience.

Pushtone wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Exactly, which leaves less for a scope.
I'm just put off that 'the smoothest shooting' underlever needs a $100 kit to really be smooth.

I went to my first HFT meet last month. I was hoping to see someone using a springer but no, all PCP. :idea: