Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: A Hi from Gord
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm 

Well, let's see . . . not posting much the past year and a half, but much is happening.

I'm building a new home, a small year round place and I thought I'd show you my new front yard! Here it is: (Yeah, it's a black and white shot, taken with my 4x5 Linhof, 180mm Nikkor-W f5.6, 1/125th at f22, on HP5 film developed in HC110. Yeah, I still do my own darkroom stuff.)

Now what does this have to do with airguns? Actually, quite a lot. I own 3.6 acres of semi-wilderness land on the Nechako River in Central BC, and have lots of deer, bear and moose, and even the occasional elk. And I have a .45 caliber SamYang. My yard is filled with alfalfa, blueberries, and saskatoons, and it has a trail right down to the river, where the animals drink. And it's just 18 yards from my front deck. Any further questions?

In any case, you should be seeing me more often here, because not only do I have the game trail, but I also have all that property to set up 3D and field targets. Yay!

Cheers and see you soon! (By the way, the Nechako is also one of the major waterfowl flyways in the province! :twisted: )

Daryl, it's time for a visit to the ranch!

Post subject: Re: A Hi from Gord
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 pm 

Welcome back, Gordo...
Not sure if I'm more more jealous of your new spread, or your 4x5 Linhof.
Congratulations on both.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 pm 

Congrats! Must be a dream come true!

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 pm 

Not quite the snap of forced TX-320 in 1-100 single shot Rodinal, but still nice. Good contrast control there. Did you shade under the enlarger?

180 is nice and wide on a 4 X 5. Looks like Linhof is gonna stay outta my price range for the next little while. I really should do the 6 X 6 Bronica Sq-A thing all over again.

All that river there and not a word about trout :P

Congrads on the property and camera. Nice seeing you here again...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 pm 

Nice little patch you have there Gordo I will be up in Vanderhoof next week love the middle of the province. 8)And that river has rainbows,whitefish dollyvarden,char and the longest sockeye salmon run Vancouver to the Nadina river about 1200km. Oh and the white sturgeon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 am 

Way to go, Gordo! Beautiful homestead and a gorgeous shot. I'd love to see more from that Linhof. (in the Bar & Grill forum, of course :wink: ).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm 

Thanks to all for your responses! Yup I'll do some Bar and Grilling on camera stuff on the forum as suggested, but now that I'm here I'll make a couple of photo comments . . . . here's one of my three Linhofs and the above shot was taken with this camera:

My actual studio cameras are Toyos, a 5x7 and 4x5 GX. I'll post them in the B&G forum later.

For Doc Sharptail, the larger the format (and your medium format Bronica is about the endgame of what I'm talking about before you enter large format) the smoother the gradation of tones. The beloved "snap" of old Tri-X is not so apparent in 4x5 and larger. . . . there is simply too much information on the negatives for that to happen unless you underexpose and extend devolpment time, and then you lose the gradation of large format.

And alas, new Tri-X is no longer "snappy", but just another fine grained fast film that has lost its character. To get that beloved photojournalist effect, I use 35mm and an old fashioned style film like Foma 400, and soup it in Rodinal. Comes close, but alas, it's not old Tri-X.

The Linhof above is wearing a 90mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon, which has about the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera; my 180 Nikkor has about the same angle of view as a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. Telephotos are really not used as such on 4x5; the longest lens that I have is a 400mm f8 Fuji, which has the same angle of view as an 85mm lens on a 35mm camera. To steady a long lens (say, a 2000mm lens on a 4x5 which would be like a 135mm lens on a 35mm camera, and which also btw doesn't exist) I doubt I could find a tripod which would steady such a beast and fit in the back of my pickup!

All this stuff will now be readily discussed in Bar and Grill as suggested by Edmonton!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:00 pm 

Welcome back Gordo! Sweet camera, scenery, and a big congrats on your new build. All the best!!

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 pm 

good to see you Gordo...nice setup bud... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 pm 

I have been out of the loop longer than I thought- especially if Tx 320 has degraded that much.
Lookin forward to this discussion being continued elsewhere... :wink:

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 am 

Welcome back, Gord…. 8)

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!