Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Is This Fixable?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 am 

I attempted to remove the sharp edges that were cutting the pellets as I pushed them in, but I got a little carried away with the dremel and took off way too much metal.Is this fixable or do I need a new barrel? I don't think the breech block is removable from the barrel on this non pal phantom .177.

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 138.03 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is This Fixable?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 am 

Could put something in the barrel and mix up JB weld fill the hole. And smooth out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am 

you did remove a bit too much and it wasn't done evenly as well, but you should be fine
what you really do need is a new breach seal... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Could put something in the barrel and mix up JB weld fill the hole. And smooth out.

I was thinking of jb weld.I'll wait a bit to see if anyone's fixed this before I try the jb.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am 

Ace wrote:
you did remove a bit too much and it wasn't done evenly as well, but you should be fine
what you really do need is a new breach seal... :wink:

It shoots okay except I lost about 30 fps after my "fix" :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am 

what your fps? 470fps or 720fps ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am 

Just an observation . If it were clipping pellets would it not have been the cylinder side that was cutting them ? I can not resolve how smoothing the barrel side would prevent this .

:drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am 

This might work for future reference, works on the muzzle end, don’t see why it couldn’t on the breech end.

Look up barrel crowning with a brass screw in a drill.

I’ve crowned a couple chopped airgun barrels and recrowned a few powderburning barrels this way and so far I’ve had good results in accuracy. Found a round head brass screw, had to cut a flat head groove in it (it was originally a Roberson). Chucked it in the drill, used some valve grind compound on the head and rotated in a circular motion, keeping it as even as possible and made sure not to grind to deep. End result is an even recess.
I did an old sporterized 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser recently that was not giving promising accuracy, patterning like a shotgun at 100 yards. After the recrown, I’m easily nailing silhouettes at 500 meters, open sights, original trigger.

Good luck and keep us posted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm 

Justmyluck wrote:
I attempted to remove the sharp edges that were cutting the pellets as I pushed them in, but I got a little carried away with the dremel and took off way too much metal.Is this fixable or do I need a new barrel? I don't think the breech block is removable from the barrel on this non pal phantom .177.

Bit more than needed. A new breech seal after doing this to remove burr's and smooth the cuts.

This is a crowning method we do on muzzleloading rifles and smoothbores costing many thousands of $$.

It will work on this 'breeching' as well. I would use crocus cloth - or 1500 grip wet/dry paper for your gun. Turn it frequently to make it perfectly symmetrical.

Your finger tip will work just fine, with such small holes. Using a tapered cone-shaped tool wrapped with paper or cloth will also work in the barrel's entrance, but your thumb will be best
on the O-ring seat's edges. Go very softly and carefully - checking often and you will do a perfect job. a small tuft of cotton- cloth or batting in the bore to pull out with tweesers or dental pick
will make cleanup & not ruining your bore easier.

Attachments:
PB141918_zpsbd7b72c5.jpg
PB141918_zpsbd7b72c5.jpg [ 58.89 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
PB241922_zpsb5cca558.jpg
PB241922_zpsb5cca558.jpg [ 56.42 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
PB241921.jpg
PB241921.jpg [ 88.32 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 pm 

Well, it seemed like a little more than I wanted to attempt and since I was going to Thunder Bay for the day anyway I got a hold of mycrosman and he fixed it, for a tin of Destroyers. After I took this pic I reinstalled the barrel and the pellets sit perfectly flush with the opening.Nice.Also I no longer have the slight barrel droop and there's 15 fps more than before I mangled the barrel. A triple play and I thought the barrel was toast.Glad I checked on here.Thanks everyone.

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 138.03 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 36.61 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:22 am 

Looks great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm 

you lost fps because from your pic you can clearly see your breach seal is completely flat with the block face
your seal should always protrude slightly higher then the block face that's what gives you a good seal.... :wink:
as you can now see from the second pic, slightly protruding
if you would have just changed the seal you would have gotten your fps back

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 pm 

Ace wrote:
you lost fps because from your pic you can clearly see your breach seal is completely flat with the block face
your seal should always protrude slightly higher then the block face that's what gives you a good seal.... :wink:
as you can now see from the second pic, slightly protruding
if you would have just changed the seal you would have gotten your fps back

You are quite right.However, the reason I had such a thin seal was because any thicker than that and I would have severe barrel droop so I went with a very thin seal and had just a little droop.It isn't the original barrel so it didn't fit perfect and of course I messed up,the hole with a dremel.I now have NO barrel droop, a nice snug barrel lockup and my fps back. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:40 pm 

I need to know how He fixed it so nicely.
It's looks really well made I hope it last for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 pm 

Appear to have dressed off the breech - re-cut the seal groove and likely set the barrel back using a bushing in the pivot hole.
That's my guess.