Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope ring liner
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:08 pm 

I have some UTG Weaver mounts that I am moving around. They have (had...) a nasty, sticky liner film that got all rucked up and is now in the bin. Is some sort of liner between mount and scope tube necessary and if so, what should I replace it with - thick paper maybe? A thin sheet of rubber would be similar to what came off but don't have it.

Post subject: Re: Scope ring liner
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 pm 

I used a small piece of masking tape on my last mounting... So far so good as I didn't remove the scope from that gun yet, so I don't know if this is a good idea or not...

But at the time, I can't find any other better stuff in the house and looks anything on it between the mount and the scope to avoid metal to metal contact is better than nothing, right?

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:44 pm 

Yes, I was thinking of putting some black electrical tape onto the scope tube...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Yes, I was thinking of putting some black electrical tape onto the scope tube...

Ive done that w/o any damage to the scope. Well put a strip in the scope ring, and cut the overhang off with a pair of small cuticle scissors.

I think they just do that to prevent ring marks on the scope tube on cheaper rings. Because my FX didn't come with any.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

But I think masking tape would be better as the masking tape will be removed easily when you don't need it...

But the adhesive on electric tape looks more difficult to remove and will stick on the surface when you remove the tape afterwards....

And, isn't that too thick?!

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
DDtank wrote:

Ive done that w/o any damage to the scope. Well put a strip in the scope ring, and cut the overhang off with a pair of small cuticle scissors.

I think they just do that to prevent ring marks on the scope tube on cheaper rings. Because my FX didn't come with any.
So if there is a mark, we should always blame the mounts, right?! =)

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 pm 

YepYep wrote:
But I think masking tape would be better as the masking tape will be removed easily when you don't need it...

But the adhesive on electric tape looks more difficult to remove and will stick on the surface when you remove the tape afterwards....

And, isn't that too thick?!

Your thinking painters tape. Masking tape glue when gets warm. Is no different than electrical. Also how ofter are you planning to take it off to worry about residue?

A rag and alcohol would take it off. The gaps ive seen with UTG and other rings. The thickness of electrical tape wouldnt matter.

When I did the trial on the KADHAR scope i used electrical tape and left no marks on the scope tube.

A properly machined ring should close with almost even gap between and not folded pieve of psper 3 times gaps.

My FX. At 15ft lbs and i had a even gap less than a sheet of paper on each side.

Using proper tools like a torque wrench to prevent over tightening helps. Marks are normally caused by too much tightening and off maching.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 pm 

YepYep wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
DDtank wrote:

So if there is a mark, we should always blame the mounts, right?! =)

Well plenty of cheap out of spec rings out there. And paper thin scope tubes.

If you got a quality gun with a quality scope. Why cheap out on rings?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 am 

Yep ~ there is a reason why a set of good rings costs as much as 10 times than the cheap one you can find in eBay ~

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 am 

I've never had problems with UTG rings. Black hockey tape is more cloth like and doesn't leave a messy residue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 am 

Just thinking how about the white sealing tape we use on the water pipe treads before connecting it to other connectors?!

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:18 pm 

The tape they put on rings these days is cool stuff and grips a scope very well. Imo they made it b/c some scopes were slipping within the rings and it's not an easy fix. I've never had one slip but people have told me theirs have and all of those did not have said tape. Curious how your tape went south, did you get chemicals on it? I would never ever use generic electrical tape, not even on electrical wires b/c it just sux! I use the rubber elect tape which is much more expensive but it works, and in this case I believe it would be ideal. It's likely far too thick as-is, but you simply stretch it until thin enough. I have no doubt one layer stretched to fit would work better than the orig tape. If you shim the scope, and most all springers need that, then I rekon you could put one layer down as a shim first. The stuff I buy is 3M 130C and I think like $30 a roll? There are others, like a local hardware store has some generic 1/2" wide stuff for ~$5.
A thin bicycle inner tube is another source of rubber sheet. Some people have used loctite, but if I were to use that I think I'd only use thread sealer which doesn't harden. I forget the # but I recall 56x or 57x? 577 maybe? Not the white stuff tho, I hate it! Whatever it is it's a bit rubbery when dry which imo would be better on a springer since shock won't hurt it and come removal time it should come off easier. Silicone sealant should work too. It make take a loong time to cure the parts of it deep in there but if it fails it'll be very easy to clean off. I just use the oem tape or metal to metal and have had no issues, but I tune the guns so that violent reverse recoil is reduced. To boost whatever you use I suggest sanding the surfaces. Mounts seem to be rather slick so whatever is going to have a tough time sticking it, and of course remove any trace of oil before doing this and try to keep oil away from it after. No point in getting it working only to have oil soak in and break the rubber to metal bond.
I would not use any other tape either, Teflon, masking, Duct etc. Some good Duct maybe, like Gorilla Tape may work for a period of time? Gorilla is the only brand I use after trying many other brands and always being dissapointed.
The UTG mounts are the best for the $ imo. Good looks, strength and clamping force. Hard to beat at any price.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

The original tape came off because I wanted to switch the scope to different mounts. It was a thin sticky layer and got mangled when I twisted and prised out the scope. At least the coating on the tube didn't get pulled off, I have had that happen before with a cheapo scope.
I think I will use electrical tape to line the rings, it's going on a rimfire so won't slip around but probably best to have something between tube and mount.