Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:54 pm 

Starbucks cup or similiar
Dollorama model clay....$2.00 a brick...much cheaper than duct seal
Usual safe backstop....
When the cup is done...cut with scissors and peel it away...put clay in another cup....or small box, etc.
Cup keeps clay from scattering all over the floor...walls..etc.
Even soup cans filled with clay are a heck of a lot quieter than an empty can...

Attachments:
Copy of 2.JPG
Copy of 2.JPG [ 33.41 KiB | Viewed 3469 times ]
Copy of 1.JPG
Copy of 1.JPG [ 140.65 KiB | Viewed 3469 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Very cool idea!

What caliber / velocity / grain of pellet are you using with this? How deep do the pellets penetrate, or do they pass right through?

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Very cool idea!

What caliber / velocity / grain of pellet are you using with this? How deep do the pellets penetrate, or do they pass right through?

Cheers!

Avianmanor

.22 cal...wads or HP to avoid over penetration....which sprays clay all over.…
490 fps....of course proper distance reduces chance of shooting clear through.
30 feet with nonpal phantom....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 am 

clever! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am 

Issue I see. Unlike duct seal, it will not dry out. Modeling clay, got about 72 hours, before it fully dries. Gotta keep on wetting it, and keeping it seal in air tight containers. Being that It's enclosed you won't know, it dried out, till a hole in your wall.

Duct seal is only 3.18 CAD a plug.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Issue I see. Unlike duct seal, it will not dry out. Modeling clay, got about 72 hours, before it fully dries. Gotta keep on wetting it, and keeping it seal in air tight containers. Being that It's enclosed you won't know, it dried out, till a hole in your wall.

Actually the clay you see is three years old....never seen water....I always wrap it in a bread bag....air tight.....when I'm done...how much time can THAT take?....why would anyone leave it out in the air when not in use? How would I NOT know it may have dried out(which it WONT).. when I keep forming it into a new cup ? Day after day....So really there IS no issue. And its still only $2.00 at Dollarama.Enough to fill a cup......I draw 16 dime size circles on the cup with a dot in the middle and try to shoot out the dot completely.... with wadcutters....at various distances.....great when you're stuck inside..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 am 

I think leadslingers point is valid. Might take a while but If left alone clay will dry out where duct seal will never. The advantage clay would have is you can rejuvenate it by meading in some water. I think duct seal is the better option but it is good to see another viable solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Actually the clay you see is three years old....never seen water....I always wrap it in a bread bag....air tight.....when I'm done...how much time can THAT take?....why would anyone leave it out in the air when not in use? How would I NOT know it may have dried out(which it WONT).. when I keep forming it into a new cup ? Day after day....So really there IS no issue. And its still only $2.00 at Dollarama.Enough to fill a cup......I draw 16 dime size circles on the cup with a dot in the middle and try to shoot out the dot completely.... with wadcutters....at various distances.....great when you're stuck inside..

So not really not that much cheaper than duct seal. Some people forget.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:11 pm 

Yeah...I thought duct seal was way more than that.... $3.00 for duct seal is still a cheap, quick and easy fix for sound reduction....but $2.00 is better :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:47 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Starbucks? Cheap? :shock:
You've got almost $8 into that trap. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Yeah...I thought duct seal was way more than that.... $3.00 for duct seal is still a cheap, quick and easy fix for sound reduction....but $2.00 is better :D

Nope It's cheap. Home depot has it for 3.19 a plug, home hardware 3.49.

Be curious to do a penetration test to which is better. Duct seal vs Modeling clay.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am 

Try Butyl Rubber Tape, available at Auto Parts suppliers like Lordco, used for seating and sealing windshields ...... far more dense and elastic compared to clay or duct seal, and it will never dry out. A little more expensive than the other two products, but I’d wager it will have allot more stopping power. Just another option.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:08 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Try Butyl Rubber Tape, available at Auto Parts suppliers like Lordco, used for seating and sealing windshields ...... far more dense and elastic compared to clay or duct seal, and it will never dry out. A little more expensive than the other two products, but I’d wager it will have allot more stopping power. Just another option.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Between 10 and 20$ a roll depending on size and color.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:39 pm 

Actually I only shoot 490 fps indoors so huge stopping power is not required.You can't penetrate both sides of a coffee cup filled with clay at 30 feet with a non pal so I'm good.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 pm 

Just out of curiosity I picked up a roll of Butyl Rubber tape over the weekend and did a few experiments to check the stopping power - .22 15 grain pellets at 900 plus FPS don’t quite penetrate through a two inch thick chunk of the stuff, and appear undamaged upon removal. Yup, it’s expensive compared to clay and duct seal but works like a hot damn and is dead quiet- wasn’t thinking about saving a few bucks, just how effective it is compared to other products. FWIW.

Cheers!

Avianmanor