Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 am 

Thanks for sharing the velocities! Looks my reading was about right then with the Crosman hollow points.
The 13.43gr air arms pellets are made by jsb, so are I think identical, just like cometa pellets are also jsb made pellets.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 am 

The loudness may be a sign that a hammer spring shortening may be in order to gain efficiency and reduce muzzle report, as many have found effective with the Crosman 2240.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:54 am 

I know Frank has mentioned lefties getting left out on pistols. The Pp700sa will be ambidextrous but I was thinking if there is enough lefties out there, I should maybe make a FedEx order of right side bolt breeches for the Cp1 and Chaser? The breeches are interchangeable. If anyone wants one feel free to comment or pm me. Alternately I could possibly get some interchangeable breeches from Mrodair. They'd be more expensive, but the bolt could be switched from one side to the other when changing from pistol to carbine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 am 

This is getting interesting!

That's a decent pic of the gun and scope from shooter's perspective.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
The 13.43gr air arms pellets are made by jsb, so are I think identical, just like cometa pellets are also jsb made pellets.

The 13.43gr pellets you sent are labelled 'Falcon', also on the label is 'Quality Assured NSP Products' and 'Accuracy Plus', and on the back it says 'Made in Czech Republic'. JSB pellets are from the Czech Republic so maybe they are the same. What matters is if the gun 'likes' them - time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

If and when the Diana Chaser is available in Canada under 500 FPS in .177, it should sell very well including to me for my 25 foot indoor target shooting providing the decibel level is reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm 

Mostly positive reviews on this pistol on the Pyramyd Air site. I think most reference the .177 version on that page.
Took the plunge and bought one in .22. I'll probably have it here in a week or so. If I can get it to group anywhere near the Mk 1 Target I had on loan here, I'll be walking on sunshine :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm 

It's Here!

Details later when I have a chance to sit and compose, and of course. shoot... :mrgreen:

Very well made from what I can see. I am impressed with the build quality...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

Looking forward to your review =)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:02 am 

Well..... :mrgreen:

One of my better days.
I am much impressed with this little pistol. There is a lot to like here.
Excellent value.

Left view. Bolt and handle appear to be stainless. Note barrel thread protector ahead of front sight. Rearward palm swell is a bit different. No real foibles with it yet. It seems to help balance the pistol for one handed shooting. Safety is trigger block only from what I can see so far.
Bluing is evenly done. Mid-rise breech appears to be anodized aluminum.

Right view. Gas vent on side of tube. Piercing pin is part of valve assembly. I suppose this is a safety feature, to prevent frozen fingers on a prematurely loosened gas cap. It also precludes pressurizing the tube~ likely the original design intent. More on this later.
Short fore-grip is on the ergonomic side. My left fore finger has a tendency to rest against the front edge shooting 2 handed, or with the carbine/rifle stock. Nylon barley corn front sight.

First step on a new to me gun is to run a patch or 3 through the bore to make sure it's clean enough to shoot. Progressively cleaner paper towel wads. Quite a bit of yak fat in there. My .22 caliber patches are buried somewhere beyond my reach at present :rolleyes: For those interested in this sort of thing, they are "savvy-home" paper towels from Rexall. They are as soft as a patch, and the twist-em in to the bore ridges are good for bore swabbing. What I'm feeling with the cleaning rod is suspiciously like a choked bore. Will have to run a pellet through the bore on the rod to confirm this. I had to thread on an airline fitting to the end of the bbl to get it out of the breech- the brass fitting went into the vise to give me enough to pull against....

Rear sight. Elevation is the standard spring loaded turn-screw. This one is threaded r/h. Windage is like older adjustable scope mounts. Back off the screw on one side of the sight, and run up the other one on the opposite side. It's actually a lot easier to adjust this type of sight than to describe the operation. I had to bring her over to the right a bit to get zeroed.

Breech detail with the single shot tray out. Note "in the white" button. It is for a rare earth magnet on the bottom of the loading tray, and the 7 shot magazine to catch onto. The magnetic bond is not very strong~ which is sort of a moot point though. The bolt will hold both the tray or magazine in place as long as it's closed. Gun can be de-cocked same as 13/22-XX. Hold the bolt open, depress the trigger and slowly slide the bolt closed against the hammer spring tension.
Bbl retaining grub screws. The 2 front screws contact the bbl. Not sure what the rearward grub screw does. It's hole is not a through hole. Allen type breech screw holds the front of the breech against the tube.

Now for the good stuff :mrgreen:

10 of the 14.3 grain crosman teardrop points went into a little over 3/4" on centers ( soda can is the 8 oz size ), at 12 meters offhand over the open irons. I had the pistol in the carbine stock, and shot from a combination of standing/kneeling. That is a very good performance considering my eyesight....

Haven't touched the trigger yet. Take-up is a shade on the long side. Weight is just slightly heavy by the time I get to the predictable sear drop.

One of the rear sight windage adjustment screws has a slightly torn slot- it shipped like that. Nothing really to complain about at all on this pistol. I'm glad I bought it. Work allowing, in the coming few days, I'll scoperize it and see what it will do from rest.
Gun seems to hit with a bit of authority. Haven't clocked it yet, but I'm guessing it will be close to the 460 fps listed in the manual. That manual is written in clear concise engrish. It doesn't cover the pull-weight adjusting screw on the trigger.
I got 37 good shots out of a 12 gram Daisy bulb before p.o.i. started to drop...

Pretty happy with this! I'll add on to this as I can...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 am 

Nice review. This is one pistol I’ve actually been wanting to get. I’m glad to hear it’s of decent quality.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 am 

Great review!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:32 am 

Spent a bit of time with the chaser tonight.
Some interesting points in no particular order:

The adjuster screw for the trigger takes a 1/16" allen key.
I had to remove the trigger guard to access the screw- my ring set keys are too short to reach through the guard. I'll have to hit P/A and get a set that is a bit longer.
Finding the sweet spot takes a bit of doing. This adjustment really should be done with the guard in place. The sides of the guard retain the loose fitting cross pins. The adjustment I arrived at is still a bit on the heavy side- about 3lbs. I do like to have a bit of take up to my triggers, so I'll leave it as is for now, until I find what the secondary adjuster screw does, and where the tension spring is.

At first glance, the trigger is a close copy of the old Canjar "A". The frame for the trigger group is welded to the bottom of the tube.
There is a lug on the rear tube cap that engages a notch in the stock. The guard screw, the guard, and the valve retainer screw must be removed in order to get the stock off. Once the screws are out, bump the front of the tube upwards, and then pull the tube forward so the rear lug will clear.

I didn't shoot it tonight. I did get the rear sight off, and checked a set of Redfield rimfire rings in the grooves, and everything fits. I've got a Weaver 29-S here that needs to be relieved of it's mount so it will fit on the chaser's rail in the Redfield rings.

Hope to have a bit more on this tomorrow night....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 am 

I couldn't get the gun to group with the old Sears version of the Weaver G-4. The non-centered reticle was adjusted too far out to hold a zero.
Ended up going to the 4-12X 40mm A/O Diamondback...

...which looks just a little incongruous on something that small.

Plenty of room under the high Burris signature zee's for the 7 shot rotary magazine.

It wants to shoot the 14.3 gr crosman teardrop "points". If it wasn't for those 2/10 flyers, these would be a reliable pellet. 12 Meters, 4X. 5 shots.

Not bad, especially for a bbl as short as this.

After 2 CO-2 bulbs, the gun is still spraying oil out the bore. I suppose the valve was filled with it....

The magazine seems to work reasonably well. I had one hang-up that was due to operator error, and not the fault of the gun or mag.
If you aren't familiar with operating a spring driven rotary pellet magazine, remember to open and close the bolt fully- so the magazine can index properly.

The only thing I can find that resembles a problem is that the trigger adjusting screw won't stay put in adjustment. I'm going to have to find some way to lock that screw once final adjustment has been made...

I think this gun is going to take a little bit of shooting in~ most new bores are like that.

All in all, still very impressed.

It looks like a cut-out went into the case foam for a comb riser. I hope some form of one becomes available in the near future. In the mean-time, nylon foam pipe insulation :rolleyes:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm 

Looking pretty good, for shooting. =)
I'll have to look back to see if you chronied it yet. I've got my new chrony finally working indoors so I'll have to test one and compare =).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next