Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 pm 

Haven't had it over the screens yet. I'd kinda like to try the gravel pit tomorrow, if I can get out.
If not, it will be next week sometime, indoors.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 am 

Well, my new set of LEDs didn't really help my new chronograph, still getting lots of errors. Anyway I got a few readings on the Chaser, a high of 430fps and low of 411fps, with quite a few around 417 and some in the 420's. So not bad velocity, though it is kind of loud, so I'm guessing just like the cp1 this gun will be greatly improved in efficiency and quietness by either a few coils cut off the hammer spring or a oring stuck onto the back of the valve. Doc is right, the trigger adjustment screw needs some blue loctite or something to keep it from changing all the time.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:56 pm 

Took the gun down completely tonight. I wanted to get the trigger pull situation rectified, and I wanted to clean all the excess oil out of the valve.

I found a very basic gun in the internal workings. There is nothing to fly out on disassembly. I will say it once here. Take your time, and take it slow. Working over an old piece of short napped carpet helps keep things in control, and more importantly, in their correct re-assembly order.

This shows the extent of over lubrication on this gun. Dark green synthetic (I'm guessing silicone) oil drenched absolutely everything. Note cocking screw head on bottom of bolt. There is a small socket head screw in there to tension the movement of the bolt. I left it un-touched. It is likely loc-tited in place.

Front trigger adjustment screw. It is quite long- almost 3/8". I put three wraps of white Teflon plumber's tape around it, and it seems to have solved the backing-out problem. Safety is trigger block only. On a gun like this, the only proper safe carry is de-cocked. The sear can still trip even with this safety on.

Sear/trigger spring. This is the stock spring, and it is far too heavy for the task at hand. I replaced it with a small bbl spring that doesn't require 50 lbs of pull on the trigger. I have it down to 2-1/2 lbs now, and it safety checks well with a 6 lb rubber mallet bumping the rear of the tube. No accidental trip there. I have a bit of take up before the sear drag can be felt~ between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch.

No nonsense brass transfer port with one of it's o-ring seals. The other goes on the other end. Exhaust port on valve is milled flat for it.

Two views of the valve stem. That brass fitting comes right off the hardened stem with a very slight pull. Poppet return spring is very light and compresses easily with the fingers.

A somewhat blurry shot of the valve. Camera seen black and decided it wanted to do a 1/2 second exposure :rolleyes:
Note extremely short stroke on valve stem.

Sunday's are kind of pressed for time for me. I didn't photograph everything, or get to shoot.

The hammer is a long light weight thing that looks a cross between a 22-XX hammer and a QB-78 hammer- stretched out. There is a long hollowed out section in it's rear for the spring guide. Spring is about 4" long, and almost 1/2" in diameter. It is easily compressed- lot of coils there that I did not have time to count.

I'll have a bit more on this yet- hopefully some chronograph averages - within the next couple of days...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am 

Great pics and tips! Yep, I replaced the spring in my cp1 as well with a spring from a Bic lighter. Lot better. Looks like they used the same heavy one on these. Same valve and transfer port as the cp1 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:36 am 

Finally got the chaser over the chrony tonight. On a fresh Daisy CO-2 12 gram cart, I got the following:

After 2 shots with no pellet to clear the oil drop on the cart nose, average of 438.7 fps over 10 shots, using up the crosman 14.3 gr teardrop points. Extreme spread was 10.6 fps, and I didn't bother calculating mean spread, as it's gonna be fairly low anyways.

For a pistol in .22, that ain't bad at all. I'm getting 35-37 shots per cart before p.o.i. starts to drop.

Followed up on the trigger, and replaced the sear/trigger spring again- this time with a spring from a bic lighter. This is the spring that tensions the "gas button" and not the flint spring. Trigger is much better now, and there are now no surprises there with the teflon tape holding the adjuster screw from backing out.

This is a fun little pistol, and if you are willing to tinker, it will become a semi-serious shooter. :mrgreen:

The bolt closes hard over every pellet I put into it. Either the breech o-ring seal is grabbing the skirts, or there's a burr at the transfer port inlet inside the bore.

Like I said previously, I'm glad I bought it. It sort of fills the niche left behind by the absence of the old Mark 1.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 pm 

Thanks for sharing your results!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:33 pm 

lleader wrote:
Well Wes, My Chaser showed up a day early (yea!), but I was snoozing and didn't hear the mail dude so all I got was a card (boo!). Drove to the postal station and claimed it (yea!).

Didn't have a lot of time to play with it yet (boo!), but I did shoot a mag full of the 13.43gr (brand X? are they really JSBs?) averaging 428 fps. Also a mag full of 11.9gr RWS Hobbies averaging 452 fps.

The gun is fairly loud and I shoot in my townhouse basement, so since it was getting late I had to quit. I'm going to have to transfer one of my pistol scopes over to it because my old eyes just can't hack iron sights any more.
Sorry for letting this velocity slip my mind! Interesting to see the variance between guns. In the same ball park though with mine shooting around similar energy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 pm 

Here's a look at the carbine set up of the Chaser with a Blackhawk lace on comb riser. It makes rifle type scopes a more workable proposition with the low cut comb. There's a piece of foam pipe insulation underneath it. I'm going to get a few more of these.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 pm 

Nice! Looks good =)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:49 am 

Still doesn't want to shoot the meisters for some reason. Almost feels like the heads are too big- very tight fit.

Shot with an older Simmons 3-9 X 32 A/O at 12 M last night. She started spraying them all over the place. I suspect I may have to clean some pellet lead out of the bore, and get serious about finding a proper sized pellet for this gun.

On a sort of related note, I was shooting some old 14 gr (?) Boxer domes in my ancient phase 2 Medalist last week, and they shot exceptionally well. I haven't seen these pellets around, or mentioned for quite some time. Wonder if they are still in production. I should try what I have left of them in the Chaser after a good cleaning...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:28 am 

I've looked for those boxes of Crosman 22 domed and haven't found them. I've got the tins of 500 but it'd be nice to have the option of buying a box full.
Hope you find it's favorite pellet soon! On one of the Snowpeak guns I had personally I remember taking a tapered Dremel to the port as it was really hard loading. That really helped. I also recrowned one barrel and that tightened groups considerably as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 pm 

The crosman teardrop domes work well enough in it- apart from the 2/10 flyers, that is.

I think there is probably a bit of a shoulder in there that the wadcutters catch and distort on.

That was actually a pretty good session for me. I had gotten a bushnell laser bore sighter as part of a long term service award at work, and used the chaser as a test platform for it. It actually brought the gun dead on in terms of windage. Elevation at 12 M is a different kettle of fish though, and probably not in the bore sighters design. Test was shot with an early 60's Marlin 300-A 4 X 32 scope, and after final adjustment, it groups as well as the A/O Simmons.

Also learned that finger tight on the CO-2 cap is not enough for a proper seal. Cart will pierce, and leak down slow. It was empty within 5 minutes. Did a new cart with the lug lever pin in the cap, and the gun holds CO-2 just fine.

Will try a few things once I have the chaser apart for cleaning. One of the things on the list to get will be a decent bore light...
Also a bit of digging through the pile to do for .22 pellets. Will probably be back here with another report.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm 

Well Wes, this review brought me to a purchase.
Yippee be a nice winter basement shooter on days swmbo is curling lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm 

Good deal!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 pm 

For those interested, I've got a few Camo pistol grips. The stocks were supposed to be included but got missed in the shipment somehow.
I've got 3 or 4 left if anyone wants a pistol with Camo. If you want the stock later I can reserve one for you.
Here is the link.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/camo-diana- ... o2-pistol/
Here's the link to buy magazines as well
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/spare-magaz ... na-chaser/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next