Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:10 pm 

Agreed that for the sub 500 guns the never dried out duct seal is the best.

Although I made some changes on my pellet trap recently... While chronying my 12fpe Pro Sport (shoots JSB Express at about 800fps) with the FX radar chrony, I have to shoot at the same spot in order the chrony can pick up each reading, and I found it's so easy to dig up a deep hole on the duct seal...

Winter coming, I have the kindling in the house for the fire place... And I found it's very good to use that wood pieces to filter the high power pellet... I used the thinner ones which in order the pellet can go through it and then making no much harm on the duct seals layer....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Tail Air Gunner wrote:
So I guess for my under 500 fps guns, dollar store modeling clay should be just fine?
It's a buck a brick

Well with my testing. I nearly blew thru a brick with a sub 500 FPS airgun. Which you would need to stack a few, and then sooner or later you will blow thru that, if you stack pellets, or shoot in the same area. Then it could dry out and become brittle. Pay 4$ more and get duct seal.. That will last you forever, and don't have to upgrade because you got more powerful airguns.

Good point tks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 pm 

I can visualize the clay as not working at all, if shooting groups. The clay moves aside as the pellet penetrates, leaving a permanent wound channel. More pellets in the same place will
merely deepen and enlarge the cavity.
Thus, in 3 shots, maybe 4, you would likely be completely through 2 blocks, set one in front of the other.
Some form of self-healing material would be much better. Duct seal seems to be the least expensive of those.
I prefer to use steel. The front opening is about 17" X 18" & a sheet of cardboard covers this, with targets stapled to the cardboad or attached with clips a the top.
the cardboard was removed to photograph. The box is 1/2" ply with hardwood I pine to hold the steel. The pellets are easily scooped out with a trowel.

Attachments:
IMG_2654 2.jpg
IMG_2654 2.jpg [ 271.63 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG [ 694.29 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG [ 646.7 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 pm 

Here's a side view for clarity on making this box. I've shot a bunch on it, no damage to the 3/16"
thick steel plate and I've used everything from high vel. .177's on up to my Condor with 51gr. cast bullets.
I expect sooner or MUCH later, to have to replace the side wood due to pellet splash particles, but not for
many years - likely never.

Attachments:
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG [ 547.59 KiB | Viewed 612 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 pm 

That's long lasting but looks too messy and I think it's a bit too noisy when shooting it indoors?!

The duct seal has another advantage we didn't talk about above, which is it absorbs the energy and the especially the noise when pellet hits on it.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:24 pm 

YepYep wrote:
That's long lasting but looks too messy and I think it's a bit too noisy when shooting it indoors?!

The duct seal has another advantage we didn't talk about above, which is it absorbs the energy and the especially the noise when pellet hits on it.

I got a 22LR trap, I get pellet bouncing out of the trap, with enough speed, to pink off the washer and furnace. Find them anywhere from 2 to 15feet back from the trap. Not sure why? I may hang up some cotton to catch the pellets from coming back.

And alot of paper pieces on the ground.. So I just got a bucket under to collect.

I wouldn't say it any more noisier, than the gun. But do notice more lead dust than using my duct seal trap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm 

I use to use a .22 long rifle trap when I shot indoors. I did a couple of things to make it perform the way I wanted it to.

I would put it against a wall and put a very heavy cushion behind it on the angled part that the pellets hit. I do mean a heavy cushion that I made myself, almost like a sand bag. The pellet made a dull thud on the back, not that ringing sound that is typical.

The other thing I did was cover the entire front of the trap with plastic tape that was quite pliable so it almost completely closed up once a pellet passed through it. I taped my paper targets to the tape on the front and made sure to shoot on the top three quarters of the face to avoid hitting the rounded part at the bottom that can bounce pellets back.

The trap was quiet and no dust got out. Once the front was shot up, I peeled the tape off, emptied the trap and then re-taped the front. No noise, no mess and no dust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 am 

Mac wrote:
I use to use a .22 long rifle trap when I shot indoors. I did a couple of things to make it perform the way I wanted it to.

I would put it against a wall and put a very heavy cushion behind it on the angled part that the pellets hit. I do mean a heavy cushion that I made myself, almost like a sand bag. The pellet made a dull thud on the back, not that ringing sound that is typical.

The other thing I did was cover the entire front of the trap with plastic tape that was quite pliable so it almost completely closed up once a pellet passed through it. I taped my paper targets to the tape on the front and made sure to shoot on the top three quarters of the face to avoid hitting the rounded part at the bottom that can bounce pellets back.

The trap was quiet and no dust got out. Once the front was shot up, I peeled the tape off, emptied the trap and then re-taped the front. No noise, no mess and no dust.

Thanks, I'll try that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:49 pm 

YepYep wrote:

Not noisy at all & no bounce outs - yet in hundreds or pellets shot into it. The sheet of cardboard likely stops any, but most are wedged in the corner of the upper plate and the
one underneath to back edge.

I've not shot any low powered pellet rifles, nor the handguns into this trap as of yet. P.A.L. rifles only.
My pistols are the only non P.A.L. guns I have right now on air or nitrogen.