Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 pm 

I learned I must hold the barrel to the stock while loading a break barrel springer. But I don't quiet understand why I need to do so...

Hmmm, I know it's for preventing the barrel smash back, but I don't know why it would smash back...

Hmmm, I know the spring causes that, but I don't understand what causes the spring to malfunction... A failed safety or something else?

And the single hand ( usually not the major hand ) holding the barrel casually can have enough strength to stop that if the barrel just smashing back? Especially for some high power springers, we use all our effort from the arms, waist to the hips to cock it, and once it smashing.... Oh my god....

I once hit by my HW40 while I was cocking it but my hand slipped before the slide closed... and it smashed back and hit my face...oh...painnnnn....

Sent from my LG cellphone

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:54 pm 

The sear may not have caught the piston well, or the trigger gets pulled by accident, or peep mod the trigger so it's barely holding and the sears slip. Especially so in a B18 (like a Crosman) using the washer/bearing mod, or a longer than oem adj screw.
Either way the barrel swings up and the breech block stops but the barrel keeps going and ooops. Then you have to bend the barrel back down and it'll always bug you that you did it and your barrel is no longer perfect. It's like a crashed car that's fixed, it may look as good as you long as you don't look too close, and may function as well, but it'll bug you knowing that it was damaged.
The other is the risk of personal injury, like fingers pinched. I guess it's possible but it closes too slowly to catch me, plus the breech moves away when this happens so not sure how it can get you.
I hold the gun by the stock while loading, but if the gun is not trustworthy then I simply hold it by the barrel instead. Like cock w/ my left hand, then reach round with my right and grab the barrel ~ mid way. This way if/when the gun lets go it'll just push the receiver/stock into my under arm. Or keep the butt on your hip.
Another thing that happens with a sketchy trigger is the gun will fire when you close the barrel. That thud can be enough for the sear to slip off. The actual safety often fails altogether when a washer/bearing is done, or may seem to work but pulling a bit harder and it may fire. The anti-beartrap only protects you from pulling the trigger by accident, so for all the other above mentioned scenarios it's useless. It's also super annoying b/c it prevents you from uncocking the gun. Imagine having a firearm that you cannot uncock... It's also in the way when working on the gun, a pita to put back in and it's ugly. So I rip that puppy out and trash it. It's false security which is imo more dangerous than not having it.
Under or side lever springers are different, those can mangle your fingers and nobody is fast enough to avoid it, so w/ those I'd always hold the lever no matter what. I actually go a step further, I refuse to shoot them at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm 

I ALWAYS hold the barrel...just in case...it just FEELS safer.....For me....once the barrel is cocked....its loaded....with or without a pellet.....because of the potential of serious.....or not so serious harm ..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:45 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Either way the barrel swings up and the breech block stops but the barrel keeps going and ooops. Then you have to bend the barrel back down and it'll always bug you that you did it and your barrel is no longer perfect. It's like a crashed car that's fixed, it may look as good as you long as you don't look too close, and may function as well, but it'll bug you knowing that it was damaged.

Oh, yeah, I remember I saw the pictures that the owner has the rifle with a barrel points upwards...

Chevota wrote:
I actually go a step further, I refuse to shoot them at all.

[emoji29][emoji29] you went too far away ~ cheers ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Oh, yeah, I remember I saw the pictures that the owner has the rifle with a barrel points upwards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhmZxHOAgOI

video: trigger pull from open cocked position

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 pm 

No problem ~ just need to re zero the sight ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:48 pm 

Oh man, the breech of my B3-2 undercock is terrifying... I don't EVER put a pellet in without holding the lever.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 am 

holy crap!

i just watched that video ^^^ in youtube's slowest setting (.25 speed) and it's still sooo fast!

the vid is 3 seconds long and i swear +2.85 seconds of it is him just standing there with a bent barrel.

time to eat my wheaties!

maybe somewhere with the know-how could break (<<see what i did there?) that video down for time. (?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 pm 

Thinking about my HW45, it's a springer too... but looks the trigger part won't be engaged before you finish loading and close the top cover (to push down the sear) again, right?

So how about other break barrel pistols? Like Hatsan mod-25, Trail NP etc.... but how to hold the barrel and the grips of a springer pistol to avoid the accident then?!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Thinking about my HW45, it's a springer too... but looks the trigger part won't be engaged before you finish loading and close the top cover (to push down the sear) again, right?

So how about other break barrel pistols? Like Hatsan mod-25, Trail NP etc.... but how to hold the barrel and the grips of a springer pistol to avoid the accident then?!

You put the grip of the gun up against your chest/stomach/leg while holding the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

I think of this pose too, but thinking it's just too close to the head / face.... And if something happens.....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 am 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&t ... I1iVqmYTvM:

That makes it very clear why you should ALWAYS hold the barrel or underlever on any springer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 am 

YepYep wrote:
I think of this pose too, but thinking it's just too close to the head / face.... And if something happens.....

Really what will happen? You worry too much and the what ifs. It's a airgun, your just holding the barrel just incase the sear doesn't catch. Keeping the barrel from flying up and bending or finger while loading. It's not going to explode. And also why its a must to keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction all the time. 4 important rules. Wear your PPE ( personal protection equipment ) Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, only put the finger in the trigger only when you're ready to shoot. Know your target and beyond.

And under levers are like the Garand thumb. Do it right and its okay. Do it wrong and lose some of your thumb.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 am 

Yeah, that's right. Handle with care and follow the rules. It's essential and safely.

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender