Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 pm 

We are talking about the good reputation pellets, like JSB, RWS R10, H&N FTT / FM etc... so the pellet quality is no doubt the top choices, so just regarding the weight.... no matter domed or wadcutter, hollow point etc...

Talk about 177 first.

The lightest one would be a 7gr R10, and on the other side, we have 7.3gr (like JSB express RS), 7.8gr (express), then 8gr (the yellow tins), and maybe we put a 10gr monster / king etc as the heaviest...

We have flat trajectory of 177 caliber, and we will choose by the power of your gun first right? I don’t think you will use R10 on a 1000fps springer, right?

More powerful of your gun you will use more heavier pellets, right?

Then, for the pellets in similar weight, is there any fact or situation to choose a certain pellet to use? Like springer uses heavier pellets, and SSP uses lighter pellets etc??

And for a 1gr weight difference of pellet in the same gun, like 495fps rating to shoot in 10 yards, what’s the difference of these pellets would make?

And regarding this topic,maybe you would think about others to talk about and that’s welcomed!! Just want to know more~

Thanks for the input ~

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daisy 953/3-9x40 AO Hawke Scope
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 am 

I am relatively new to air guns and have asked myself many of the same questions. Most of my air guns are low powered air pistols and after recently buying myself a Chrony I ran a test on my Crosman 2300T using JSB 7.33 wadcutters and JSB 8.02 wadcutters. The average velocity on the 7.33 pellet was 481.0 fps and on the 8.02 pellet it was 465.7 fps which I think answers one of your questions. My 2300T likes these pellets and I now need to test others.
I also plan on running similar test on some of my other guns to see if they produce similar results - too many guns, so little time - LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am 

Many things to consider here.

In general for devices powered by compressed gas, heavier projectiles are more efficient, so for a given rifle, you're probably going to get more ft lbs with a heavier pellet. There is however a trade-off, because a heavier projectile is also going to drop more with range, so for closer distances a lighter, faster projectile might be a better idea. On the other hand, a lighter projectile also has lower section density, so while it might start off faster, it will lose velocity at a faster rate, so for longer ranges the heavier projectile might be easier to shoot. It really is a question of what you're using it for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that friction in the bore also makes a considerable difference, so the heavier projectile is not necessarily going to leave the barrel slower compared to a given lighter projectile.