Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Grouping success
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 pm 

My Benjamin .22 classic. Have had a lot of accuracy issues up till now. Worked on this gun for several weeks. Changed scopes, tuned the gun quite well, installed the heavy nitro gas piston, fixed up the barrel ears with spring steel and brass washers to reduce barrel wiggle.

Started playing around with various pellets again. My current go to had been baracuda match 21 grain, but have a variety on hand. Crosman 14 grain domes, jsb diabolo 18 grain, h&n hunter, the copper h&n, couple other h&n, then back to the baracuda once I did a bit of zeroing.

And then sent somewhere around 15-20 shots through the same 1" hole with 2 fliers.
The targets are 3", I'm setup in my basement shooting about 18 yards into a trap. Various holds on a bag then settled into an artilary hold with my wrist propped on the bag and gun in hand. That's when I shot the last picture.

No reason for posting this aside from wanting to share my excitement and disbelief that I've come so far with this gun. I've obviously found the right pellet and finally honed this beast in.
I'd really like to find someone locally who has a chrony and see how fast this thing is firing. It's gotta be pretty quick with that heavy nitro piston. It's not the np2, it's the higher power one.

Edit: to clarify on these pics. Two types of pellets in each target. Light pellets and heavy pellets. Light ones are up high, heavier ones are closer to the bull.

Attachments:
IMG_20180810_215402.jpg
IMG_20180810_215402.jpg [ 451.5 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]
IMG_20180810_215405.jpg
IMG_20180810_215405.jpg [ 484.28 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]
IMG_20180810_215407.jpg
IMG_20180810_215407.jpg [ 362.12 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

Last edited by Carpenter84 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Grouping success
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 pm 

The prized group.
One flier to the lower left, and one out the bottom. The rest in that center group. I didn't fully count, I stopped counting after 11 or 12. I was trying 5 group shots then moving on to not push my luck, I usually get a flier around 6 shots. But I just kept going... Over and over. No fliers. Then I just finally stopped after there was no paper left lol...

Attachments:
IMG_20180810_215207.jpg
IMG_20180810_215207.jpg [ 463.22 KiB | Viewed 3050 times ]

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:04 am 

Congrats!!

Maybe you just learnt how to shoot this beast after shooting that many shots and get the sense on this gun ~ [emoji16]

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 am 

I wondered that. That particular artilary hold, in that particular position I was sitting, I went back and tried a few more of the various pellets, shot all over again. Went back to the baracuda and it tightened right up again. The gun seems to want those heavy pellets. I'm hoping today to give it a few more hours practice. I ordered a bunch more pellets but won't arrive from Canada shooting supply and AGS till Tuesday. I ordered 400 more baracudas and ordered some jsb 25 grain and a different brand 25 grain. Cant remember which. See if I'll push my luck with heavier. That heavy nitro piston has some ridiculous power.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am 

Maybe that's why the springers are attractive...

I keep shooting my HW45 these days after re adjusted the trigger with a single lot of JSB pellet and won't plan to change to other lot until I can feel something then I will start the journey like you to choose a different weight different brand to see if I can find a better one to feed her...

It's hard and need longer time to find a good fit pellet for the springer... It's not like the SSP, you can just clamp it on the table and maybe half hour shooting you can finish the job...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 pm 

No, you need all day. Haha.
It's definitely an adventure.
I like various projects to keep my busy. But there has to be a very nice rose coloured light at the end of the tunnel. The Benjamin .22 (trail basically) is a really nice feeling gun. It's made me want to improve it, make it something desirable. And now that I'm starting to actually make good headway with it, it's exciting.

I don't think if I dropped a pcp on the table and within 15 minutes figured out how to shoot quarter sized groups at 18 yards I'll laugh and giggle in excitement like this gun makes me when everything falls into line. Now, I just need to see if it will keep doing that. It seems I'll figure something out then the next time I pull it out everything is completely different.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 pm 

[emoji482][emoji482]

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

Uhhg. Every time I sit down and shoot, everything changes.
I don't know what to make of anything anymore. I try to recreate my successful shoots as much as possible. But it doesn't matter.

Attachments:
File comment: Junk...
IMG_20180814_144237.jpg
IMG_20180814_144237.jpg [ 544.55 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm 

Carpenter84 wrote:
I don't think if I dropped a pcp on the table and within 15 minutes figured out how to shoot quarter sized groups at 18 yards I'll laugh and giggle in excitement like this gun makes me when everything falls into line.

I surly hope not. I would be appalled if I could only obtain quarter sized groups with a pcp at 18 yards under controlled conditions. Even 1/4" would not be acceptable in my book. Not off the bench.

With mid value springers it is quite the challenge to find consistency. Does not help if it is pal rated. Keep shooting and hope it comes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm 

I'm trying to keep shooting... But I can't understand how accuracy can be SOO dramatically different from one day to the next. How is that possible?

So, between my last target session and today's dismal result was, I pegged a rabbit last night. Clean head shot at about 7 yards. So that went well. Rifle was VERY carefully returned to the safe as to not bump the scope.
Same when removed today to sit down for another target session. The only difference in my setup is I didn't fully raise my bench.
It's capable of half and full height. I only had it at half height, kneeling on the floor instead of sitting on a stool. I also didn't use the tripod bag. But used an extremely similar bag sitting on top of another bag to raise it up to comfortable level. But the conditions of what was actually touching the rifle were exactly the same. Same hold position, same amount of contact surface, same trigger and shoulder hold. Only difference was the height. I even replicated how I hand held resting my wrist on the bag as an alternative.

Also tried moa adjustments, was able to somewhat re-zero by the last target. But not great.
Target progression was top left, bottom left, top 2nd row, bottom second row, top third row, etc etc.

It's all very frustrating...

I am starting to notice this scope might be slipping in accuracy. Is it possible the recoil is causing damage? All the screws are tight...

Anything standing out here to anyone...?

Uuhhhhhhhg...

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:33 pm 

Well, I see a pattern.
This madness is about 100 pellets. Top row, left to right. About 5 pellets each left to right, move up a foot, 5 more each, move up again, 5 more each. However, the poi's didn't change how I thought an unstable pellet would have. It's random, but consistent. Sending pellets through the same holes over and over in some odd pattern.

The grouping also seems to move left to right. I'm shooting around 1.5' below the target, 18 yards. The trap is on about a 10-15 degree angle away from le both to the right and up.

It will consistently hit the same random spots, with the odd litter stain off in the distance, but not that many, actually.
Two different tins of baracuda match (the post lady dropped off a very well times package from AGS and Canada shooting supply.)

The bottom row is a mix of jsb 18.1 for a test. Always fairly consistently high and right. But will also spread right out all over.

My random piles in the middle are just cause I didn't want to go change the paper. I noted my aim point.

I replicated the setup as yesterday in some of the middle clusters. I think my issue the other day was the bags were too flimbsy. The gun seems to want a firm hold again...

This gun is moodier than my wife...

Attachments:
IMG_20180814_172339.jpg
IMG_20180814_172339.jpg [ 602.36 KiB | Viewed 2855 times ]

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:34 pm 

Sorry for the sideways photo.

The only thing I can still think of is a spiraling pellet...

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 pm 

If it can repeatedly hitting the same hole, although this hole not on the bullseye, or not the same hole from the beginning, I believe the accuracy of the gun is good.

It's impossible to hit the same hole randomly... Just like in the battle field, the best way to avoid killed by a bomb is hiding yourself in the hole made by a previous landed bomb....

And it will be the problem of the shooter...

When you can copy the same condition of your previous shot, the pellet just landed on the hole made by that previous shot... Isn't that correct?!

How long did you married? :) maybe you just need more time to stay with your gun...

Or try come closer....

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 pm 

Hahaha. Been married 6 years. I shoot as often as I can. I do wish I could spend more time with my gun. It's becoming expensive, tho...

Being a random pattern, but a consistently random pattern would suggest accuracy. It does not hit the same hole twice in a row. I just feel at 18 yards it's quite a spread... When I've gone from putting 20 pellets in a quarter sized hole to creating a 2" consistent spread. This gun is VERY moody...
There HAS to be a way to calm it down... I just don't have any idea what that is....

I ordered the jsb 25 grain monsters. Those were in the package that arrived today with the baracudas. But it was a crap shoot to see if the gun wanted a heavier pellets. Preliminary results are mixed...
Maybe I need to go back to the jsb 18.1's and start from there again.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm 

So I took the scope off to try my makeshift open sight again. Wasn't terribly successful. Mainly because I can't see through the sight... So I put the scope back on. Shot twice. Each time closer to the bull. No adjustment. Next 30 shots right on target... Sigh...

Open sight is lower left. All others are scope after zero adjustments...

Attachment:
tenor (1).gif
tenor (1).gif [ 230.26 KiB | Viewed 2847 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_20180814_200458.jpg
IMG_20180814_200458.jpg [ 541.94 KiB | Viewed 2847 times ]

Some other junk rifles