Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Have had many break barrel springers so entertaining the thought of getting a fixed barrel.Two contenders really TX 200 in carbine 13" barrel and rifle in 16" Any difference in accuracy or hold sensitivity.Cocking may be a little tougher. Same question in regards to the HW77K and full sized all FAC version don't want the others.I have mostly .22 calibers so perhaps in .177 Both are fairly heavy as is my HW80K/.22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm 

no barrel droop.
like a B5-1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 pm 

This is a good video...I was thinking of under levers myself....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJR5fKJXe4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 pm 

Chop fingers off if you don't hold barrel

under-leaver crank is better with the 16" plus in since it gives you more leverage and make it easier to cock.

HW97K is a very good rifle too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 pm 

HW97K way too heavy to roam about hunting...........I wish someone made a straight 6X scope like Hawk once did with MAP reticle.Don't need these big 3x9 4x12 scopes on most hunting guns.Start out with a 9lb HW80K then add huge glass and you have a 11lb club.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 am 

For the one confused,as the OP the handling/hold sensitivity, accuracy and weight are important for a hunting gun.A railroad tie may be fine off the bench but not in the field.Form and function.If either under lever is as awkward as a HW80K it's NFG.The scope reference is about added unnecessary weight.Simple really.Easier on the hernia may be a R7/HW30S Macarri kitted in .177 with 4X glass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:34 am 

I own both 97K and a TX200HC. The carbine cocking effort is on the hard side, though it and the 97K are quite accurate. They also weigh about the same. Both have superb triggers. Great for target shooting, though I wouldn't want to spend a day humping through the woods with either unless they were fitted with a sling. I find zero difference in accuracy between the two, and they're both exceptionally well made. Flip a coin, can't go wrong with either. RC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am 

From what I understand the TX200 has a smaller loading port than the 97 or 77 but a Lothar Walther barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm 

Pioneer2 wrote:
From what I understand the TX200 has a smaller loading port than the 97 or 77 but a Lothar Walther barrel.

Right, the TX200 port only opens to the side it's designed to be shot while the HW has full top access. I don't think it matters who makes the barrel. Bother are equally as accurate.

Daisy 953
Baikal IZH-61
Crosman 1077
Pioneer 6432 (B2)
Bunch of pistols

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:28 pm 

I've shot both the TX200 MKlll in carbine and standard length. They are both accurate and I used the same hold for the two; seeing no difference between the the shorter barrel of the carbine. The only difference is the cocking effort is 5 pounds more on the carbine and you will have approximately 3 less inches in length to play with in the carbine making it about a pound lighter. With a scope on both, they are still quite heavy.
The Hw77 is another great underlever, fixed barrel springer that you cannot go wrong with. A friend lent me one to use at the range one night and I was impressed with the stock, rekord trigger and accuracy out to 50 yards. It was easily comparable to my TX as the groupings at 50 yards was just under 1" Mind you, the weight of this rifle was very close to the TX and the cocking effort is roughly the same.
5 years ago when I had to make a decision between the 2 springers, I simply tossed a coin in favor of the TX. To this day, I'm still shooting it and it hasn't disappointed one bit. Like the posts before this, you cannot go wrong with either.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:08 am 

Guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.Medium weight FAC power and pinpoint accuracy.The HW77 is supposed to be none hold sensitive.The R7/HW30S/though not FAC [ back to brake barrels] would be ideal except for the history of galling the compression tube with the barrel linkage .A problem HW has never addressed.Also prevalent on the HW50 and to some extent on the HW95's.Macarri makes a spacer of sorts but this should be design fixed at the factory IMO.Don't just keep making them as is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am 

I think the only issue is weight. All the top accuracy springers seem to be 8+ lbs.

Daisy 953
Baikal IZH-61
Crosman 1077
Pioneer 6432 (B2)
Bunch of pistols

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

If you are considering an under lever for range shooting.. weight isn't an issue. If you are worried because you feel an underlever is too heavy for roaming when hunting, you could always:

-get a sling for the rifle
-forget the underlevers and stick with a break barrel(HW95, HW50 or similar Dianas)
-work out so the rifle doesn't feel as heavy
-buy a PCP(and associated equipment)
-buy a 22 and use Subsonics

The TX200 and HW97/77 are excellent, accurate rifles. You cant go wrong with either