Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Don Cothran build
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 pm 

Mr. Yep, inasmuch as I would like to shoot it w/o a silencer, I am wont not to because of my neighbors. I did test it once with and without a silencer at 15 yards and there was no difference in the POI nor on the precision. Well, 15 yards is not that conclusive, really, that is why I am trying to extend my range to 20 to 25. We do have a 500 meter gun range here but it is just too windy out there, so I do not bother to go there to test my airguns.

Furthermore and as you can see, my shooting table is not actually the greatest, lol, so I have to give it my best to steady my aim. At 25 yards and at 6x magnification, I can already detect eyebox issues because my not-so-comfy position is causing detriments in my aiming.

Yes, probably my accuracy would improve bereft of a silencer but I have 2 airguns (my AA S5 and CCS 2400KT with a 24" barrel) in the Philippines that shoot much better suppressed.

Oh, I wish the trigger on my 1377 was as sweet as the Blue Fork! With the Magnum Airgun Parts Super Thick Sear, the BF trigger is really great but dangerous in the wrong hands! It is literally a hair, single stage trigger with not the slightest slack nor creep. The DC trigger is not bad either as it exhibits none of the aforesaid too post mods and polishing but it is about 2 notches harder than the BF.

I do not have a chrono, sir! Might as well buy one, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm 

I think you got the point... The windy weather will make a difference in such a distance while you shooting outdoors...

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:55 pm 

Got to get a nicer table, lol!

I was an airgun long distance BR shooter (100 meters) when I was still in Asia. Won 2 matches about 4 years ago.

This was my rig:

It is inside my house in the Philippines like the rest of my collection and parts, lol!

Like the rest of my rig, it is in pristine condition with no scuffs and scratches whatsoever.

This 1 I sold to a bud of mine who wanted a .177 and in 3 payments, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 pm 

You are so Pro to me as I actually started this hobby about a year before and no much previous experience on this sport asqI came from Asia too and fire arms are strict restricted in our countries... But maybe Philippine would be better as I heard before not very long ago you guys can still own and play shotguns?! So I think air guns just a piece of cake....

And I believe you like the States for one more reason as you can have many choices on these parts in a very low price....

Everything shipped upper to the CA from US, the price just jumped a lot....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:59 pm 

YepYep wrote:
You are so Pro to me as I actually started this hobby about a year before and no much previous experience on this sport asqI came from Asia too and fire arms are strict restricted in our countries... But maybe Philippine would be better as I heard before not very long ago you guys can still own and play shotguns?! So I think air guns just a piece of cake....

And I believe you like the States for one more reason as you can have many choices on these parts in a very low price....

Everything shipped upper to the CA from US, the price just jumped a lot....

Mr. Yep, guns are very popular in the Philippines but they are expensive and such a hassle to acquire as you have to go through several record checks, so for the average Joe it is daunting. We have no restrictions over there though and you can even buy .308s if you can afford it. A civilian who has connections can even buy a full auto.

Have a lot of friends over there who are gun enthusiasts and you would be surprised to see their arsenal. Me, I sold my guns a few years before I departed for the US because you need to renew each license every 2 years (PITA, imho).

Money/connection is power over there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

Shot my 1377 today at 25 yards (my 2nd attempt of 2) and had the best grouping :D

Had a 1 holer (shots 1, 2, 3, and 5) but the 4th went astray a bit to the right as you can see.

My index card split in two on the 4th shot but I kept going! It happened too on my 1st target for the day and I have no idea why it did that! Should make the card a bit bigger but I like to focus on smaller targets. I cranked up the magnification from 6x to 8x.

The red bull'seye is less than the size of an pencil eraserhead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 am 

Nice!

On your new bench or new sand bag?! ;)

And the 4th shot just proved the Murphy's law again.... You will have a flier whatever you planed to make a 3 shots group or 5 or 10.... lol

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am 

Took some time to check out Don's website and this guy really make some good stuff and in reasonable price!

I created an order for some small stuffs last night and sent him an email as I don't know if he ships to Canada and the shipping cost....

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am 

Same bags and rickety inutile table wannabe, Mr. Yep, lol!

Yes, Murphy's Law seems to be more active than Lady Luck, lol again!

Also, it is pretty hard to be ultra consistent w/ a pumper because you have to pump it several times, then reset for the next round!

You can PM me your real name, so I can text Mr. Cothran about your potential order. He does not reply much via email. His parts are 1st class all the way though!

I am making a list too of the parts I want for my 2nd 22xx in the US!

Might convert my current 22xx to a pistol, so I can install my DC power adjuster. It really looks nice without the barrel bands and as a pistol, imho. Might take it apart and post it here in pistol form.

I intend to get another BlueFork trigger (a 1911 design this time) and put it on my DC 2260 tube. I wish Crosman's got an 18" Lothar barrel but I have had Crosman barrels in .177, which are really nice shooters! In fact, my most accurate 22xx is the CCS ag with a 24" .177 Crosman barrel.

This one was at 38 yards:

I topped it with a Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 mildot scope when I made this shot.

The tip is a Hatsan air stripper, which I had powdercoated. Originally, it had a brass cone in .22 but I had stainless and extra brass ones lathed to my specs.

Last edited by crossliner on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:57 am 

I am a stickler when it comes to color combinations, Mr. Yep. No brass part can mix up with a black and stainless-inspired gun and vice versa that is why I have multiple parts of these 2 materials.

Even my silencer caps are in brass or stainless. I had them redone in convex shape to reduce weight. They look cooler too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 pm 

And Crosman parts can be recycled too!

Instead of these 2 OEM charging handles going to waste, I had them nickle plated. The one with the rounded head was originally a hex but I had it lathed, drilled and threaded. Gave it as a gift to a CAPOF moderator (Mr. Carl Quick--God Bless his soul!) when I was still in the Philippines.

The round brass head looks great combined with the silvery part! The aforesaid deceased gent wanted it in 2-tone, so I did what he wanted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 pm 

...... You are just so super detail oriented.....

I looks much simpler... Just like the crows , or maybe dragon, if we have in the earth ~lol, every shiny shining things ~ The good stock shiny blued is what I like too ~

But I find that your little parts just re defined what's called shiny ~ lol

And sent you a PM regarding my DC order submitted last night ~ Thanks so much! Mr. Con is your neighbor?! :)

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:07 pm 

Thanks and no problem, Mr. Yep!

No. Mr. Cothran is in Mississippi while I am in New Mexico, lol!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:38 pm 

Same distance of 25 yards but I reduced it to 7 pumps instead of 8:

I shoot my DC 1377 twice a day :drinkers:

The red bull'seye is about 25% or so smaller than the corkboard pins. If it were a rat's eye it would have been pulp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm 

Nice shot ! That's no doubt... But I am wondering how many trees in you back yard and I didn't see many holes on it... :D

I think I might shoot more than you as I need practice harder to catch up with you guys... So after once I made a through hole on one of my fence wood pieces, I realized that's not a good way to shoot and started to make the stopper pellet trap for myself with duct seals and boxes ~

~Target~