Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 am 

Decided to sign up for one at the end of the month. PPC AKA police pistol combat. 150rd so 1500 possible points, from 7-50M.

Gotta practice at 25, and 50M. Because it's farther then I shoot at house league.

Needed to figure where my gun shot, and where to aim, at the longer ranges.

50M, far far away for a pistol.

SO I shot only 88 rds, 83 where on paper, and only totally missed 5. 13 off the scoring zone. Scoring 770 out of 880. So now that I figured where to hit, I can practice more. Yes it's timed.

The black patches were already there.

At least I know I won't totally fail.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 am 

Those are good numbers...nice shootin'....83 on paper...missed 5....now reverse those numbers and you'd have MY score... :D Pistols are tough to master........I'll stick with rifles....but I DO like the look and feel of them when shooting....just not good at it......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am 

Nice and interesting shooting practice!

When shooting a powder burner at this range, should you need to consider the bullet drops when it reach the target?

And what gun do you use and is it picky on different bullets?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Those are good numbers...nice shootin'....83 on paper...missed 5....now reverse those numbers and you'd have MY score... :D Pistols are tough to master........I'll stick with rifles....but I DO like the look and feel of them when shooting....just not good at it......

Thanks, Pistols take practice. I been shooting them for 15 years. Still learning. Yeah I like this type of shooting, because I cannot make the tightest groups. So there some give on the scoring.

YepYep wrote:
Nice and interesting shooting practice!

When shooting a powder burner at this range, should you need to consider the bullet drops when it reach the target?

And what gun do you use and is it picky on different bullets?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

Yeah the competition was between police departments. So It started out with revolvers. Everything is 6 rounds. And just evolved. Seems like the revolvers normally trumps the matches though. They're heavier, and allowed heavier barrels and lighter triggers. Just slower reloads.

My gun actually shoots high. I gotta aim low in order to hit high. 25 I gotta do a 6 o clock hold. 3 - 15Y is dead on.

But maybe the trajectory will start leveling out at 75 or 100m. That it drop drop in. Now I can tune the ammo. I can subtract powder in my reloads so It shoots slower and drop faster. But these been working good for my the last 5000rds.

The hits on the top right is if I aim'ed center.

I went from a Glock 34, and went like everybody else and got a CZ SP01. And no, it's quite reliable. Sometimes I get dud primers, or forget to size a case.

This is a 15Y, strong hand, shoot 6, reload, shoot 6 in 15 second. Stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efaLguy ... vwz6OcEKHQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm 

50m is a ver tough distance. Nice shooting. CZ75 sp1 is a great pistol.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Agreed, good shooting, doing a lot better than me, I have the shadow 1 version, love how it handles, shots and the accuracy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 am 

Magi wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Agreed, good shooting, doing a lot better than me, I have the shadow 1 version, love how it handles, shots and the accuracy.

Thanks. I mean everybody shoots them and for the longest time. I didn't want to be like them.

But what I wanted. Something not 1911's. There was only 2 options. Well 3, but that company pissed me off, so was only 2. And they don't make the other one anymore. So was only Turkish clones. So really was only 1 option. The CZ.

I was shocked how natural it felt and pointed. I mean normally takes me a bit of time with it to start shooting 10's. First time out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm 

I was a little worried. Last night I borrowed a trigger gauge. My DIY was showing 4 ish pounds. Was actually 2lb 11oz. So my trigger would fail the required 3.5#. I had to switch guns. So I had to use a gun that I really didn't have any data on past 20M. So I was going into the match blind.

So all the 50M practice went out the window. I had no idea where I was hitting. Botched the 50M matches.

For my first match. I did beat my goal. I wanted to at least get 1000 points. I did get 1038 point out of 1500.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:55 am 

Leadslinger - not bad - would have earned your crossed revolvers, however, there should be no misses.
I suggest you practice hard at 50yards. You should be able to hold them in about 6" or better at that range.
Think of 50yards as the range you make up points.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am 

Daryl wrote:
Leadslinger - not bad - would have earned your crossed revolvers, however, there should be no misses.
I suggest you practice hard at 50yards. You should be able to hold them in about 6" or better at that range.
Think of 50yards as the range you make up points.

Thanks, I practiced hard. I was getting 80% scoring hits at 50. Just the night before the match. The gun I was going to use, failed. So I did a last min gun change to a gun, I had no idea where it shot.

I'm going to propose to our PPC club ditch the short stages and shoot 7 to 20M matches. MAX at what we can shoot indoors. Anything less then 7Y is pointless. The 25M range is booked by another shooting sport on the same night. And we cannot shoot handguns at the rifle range w/o ground baffles.

Now I have a base to work from, and an Idea where I need to improve. You don't know till you try. Right? I'm going to try and get my trigger weight up on the CZ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:52 am 

IIRC, back in the 70's, we shot 7, 15, 25 and 50 yards. 7 was the only 'off hand' shooting. The rest were right and left barricade, kneeling and prone.

In the Corrections Branch(1980's to 1996), we used 5, 15 and 25 yards. 5 yards was shot hip high, with the drawing hand only, instinctively of course,
concentrating on the very centre of the 10 ring, visualizing a button. I also taught my guys to shoot the 15 yard target, instinctively, gun no higher
than the shoulders - all DA. With a bit of practice, most kept them kept 80% inside the walls of the 10 ring with the "flyers"
solid 9s. A few of them could 'usually' shoot 9's and better at 25 yards. Just for fun, Big Ron did this instinctively with his 8 3/8" model 29 with 240SWC and 22gr. 2400.
We used 6" Model 10's - fixed sights. 158gr. +P Federal ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 pm 

Daryl wrote:
IIRC, back in the 70's, we shot 7, 15, 25 and 50 yards. 7 was the only 'off hand' shooting. The rest were right and left barricade, kneeling and prone.

In the Corrections Branch(1980's to 1996), we used 5, 15 and 25 yards. 5 yards was shot hip high, with the drawing hand only, instinctively of course,
concentrating on the very centre of the 10 ring, visualizing a button. I also taught my guys to shoot the 15 yard target, instinctively, gun no higher
than the shoulders - all DA. With a bit of practice, most kept them kept 80% inside the walls of the 10 ring with the "flyers"
solid 9s. A few of them could 'usually' shoot 9's and better at 25 yards. Just for fun, Big Ron did this instinctively with his 8 3/8" model 29 with 240SWC and 22gr. 2400.
We used 6" Model 10's - fixed sights. 158gr. +P Federal ammo.

Yeah house league PPC only wants to do. 3, 7, 10, 15. And 3Y has left and right hand only shooting. We do kneeling, prone, sitting, left hand supported. But it's getting boring. No offense to older people. But we got one that complains and drives people away. Because we used to do 5, 10, 15, 20Y. He doesn't want to do longer stages because might ruin his high scores. We used to have 10-12 people show up regular. Now lucky to get 3. And I stopped going every week, due to this old guy and the fact nobody helps setting up/tear down.

They haven't did barricades since the day I went in to watch. Next week, they stopped

But I was happy to do an official match. I got a club closer that I can practice the 25, 50M.

So I'm working on making my CZ trigger heavier for next year.

I did try a revolver, I didn't shoot it bad. Just super slow on the reloads. Tried one with moonclips and they were faster. But had issues with sticky cylinders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

THIS is phenomenally fast shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:02 pm 

Too bad you are out east. Seems to be a strong following west of you in Ont. My brother inlaw has been trying to get me out to a match the last couple of years. I started practicing the format this summer but do not have the time or desire to make it out. Those B34 centers are humbling at 25 yards. I don't even want to think about 50. All this shooting with left and right hand behind a barricade. Come on now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Too bad you are out east. Seems to be a strong following west of you in Ont. My brother inlaw has been trying to get me out to a match the last couple of years. I started practicing the format this summer but do not have the time or desire to make it out. Those B34 centers are humbling at 25 yards. I don't even want to think about 50. All this shooting with left and right hand behind a barricade. Come on now.

Actually it's not as hard as you think. I found I shot outside, better then I did indoors. I could see the sights more clearer.

PPC started as a competition between police forces. And you cannot shoot strong hand all the time. And the left hand barricade is But simulating behind cover, and using your left hand minimize the exposure of your body.

I used to shoot IPSC, was all running and shooting.