Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm 

Just a fyi, when i used a pop bottle sleeve in my piston chamber on an air-hawk, the sleeve was destroyed on first calk. Not sure why but was permanently creased.
cheers
t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:35 pm 

tango wrote:
Just a fyi, when i used a pop bottle sleeve in my piston chamber on an air-hawk, the sleeve was destroyed on first calk. Not sure why but was permanently creased.
cheers
t

I used a beer can. Single layer with no over hang. There was some slop from the factory sleeve and spring.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 pm 

tango; plastic from a soda bottle is what I use, but fitment is very important. I make it so the ends flat and butt up to each other, plus a very tight fit in the piston so it cannot come undone. Lots of peep screw this one up bc they're don't take their time, like simply cutting the plastic w/ scissors and calling it close enough, or giving up on the tight fit and leaving it loose.
I remember someone sayin they made a sleeve from alum, which I'm guessin was you leadslinger? I've never tried alum but I'd bet $ the plastic version will be better in every way. I'd make one for you if you weren't so far away but I guess it doesn't matter if your problem is gone. Extra noise from these guns bugs me so I would still make it as quiet as possible. For the Diana/B25 I keep the oem steel liner and add a plastic one.
If you were a true redneck you could have your buddy Cooter hold the suppressor box as you hunt. Sorry, that was a visual that popped into my head when you said it wouldn't work ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:00 pm 

lol....sleeves do not make a springer more quite it just eliminates spring twang and vibration....it will not decrease barrel tip noise... :roll:
your not going to get a more quieter air gun then a springer, the only way a springer is going to be loud is if it's dieseling....
springers may sound loud to the shooter but much less down range as compared to CO2, PCP or pneumatic...there is no comparison
Chevota iv'e always made my sleeves out of aluminum... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am 

tango wrote:
cheers
t

The edge of the plastic sleeve gets caught on the spring as it compresses and gets squished....Some types of plastic are better than others...how you prepare the sleeve is also important....I use plastic from a one gallon milk jug...cut and sanded to a bevelled edge....I tried aluminum sleeves but they only lasted a short time before clipping the spring and getting chewed up....
Plastic or aluminum...either one is good if you can get them to work...? :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:38 am 

I agree plastic makes more sense for the intended purpose. At the time I tried to take both my time and care. I tried several types of plastic and decided only the pop bottle was not too tight. Perhaps I made it too long or not tight enough. Either way I will hold off on trying again till the rifle is broken in better.
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 pm 

Ace: True on muzzle noise but a significant % of overall noise comes from the spring. This is why Crosman claimed the gas spring version was 70% quieter. Usually claims by Crosman are bs but I have to agree with that one.
I can't force you Canadians to use plastic for liners but the thought of alum is killing me. It reminds me of Southpark where they show all the wheels in CA as square ;)

I've never had a liner catch but as mentioned I make them fit tight so not sure how it could catch. I also bevel or flare the end, which I do mainly to eliminate any clunk clunk feel as the coils pass over. If done right the only way you can tell it's not a nitro is the spring rate is greater so it's easier to cock. And imo the coil is quieter when fired since it's weaker, so less "thud".
It's totally worth the effort imo and I'll do my best to help anyone having trouble....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am 

Thanks Chevota,

I always enjoy your views and helpful advise. I believe I will try again on one of my crosman guns as it may be more forgiving than the rw34 clone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am 

Chevota i'm pretty sure the OP's concern was actual barrel tip noise due to it bothering neighbors
there is no way a neighbor 50yrds away or less is going to hear you spring twang or feel its vibration...lol
that's what i was getting at...
i'm all for the idea of sleeves on low end springers but they will not help in the OP's circumstance
P.s. there is a lot of heat created in the piston/spring chamber area not to sure plastic is the best long term idea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Ace: True on muzzle noise but a significant % of overall noise comes from the spring. This is why Crosman claimed the gas spring version was 70% quieter. Usually claims by Crosman are bs but I have to agree with that one.
I can't force you Canadians to use plastic for liners but the thought of alum is killing me. It reminds me of Southpark where they show all the wheels in CA as square ;)

I've never had a liner catch but as mentioned I make them fit tight so not sure how it could catch. I also bevel or flare the end, which I do mainly to eliminate any clunk clunk feel as the coils pass over. If done right the only way you can tell it's not a nitro is the spring rate is greater so it's easier to cock. And imo the coil is quieter when fired since it's weaker, so less "thud".
It's totally worth the effort imo and I'll do my best to help anyone having trouble....
At the risk of changing thread topics:
You've never had a liner catch nor have I ever had a plastic liner catch...I would like to suggest it COULD be..at least partially because you...as well as myself ... button the pistons....which keeps the piston and spring centred during the cocking stroke..which then prevents the rear of the piston from being pushed to the opposite side of the tube thereby keeping the spring from bending into...and making harder contact against the piston sleeve.I would guess that is why a less than perfect liner fitting installed in an unbuttoned piston..... tends to get caught up....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:
It's hard to say if the neighbor would be very sensitive to the sound as any way loud or quiet, it won't be silent, right?

Have such a case in the life is hard to recover...

Pick the days the neighbor is not in the house for shooting?! So noise won't be a problem then....

Sent from my LG cellphone

That won't work. Because you cannot see their driveways. The mother is retired and the daughter in law, hasn't really been going to work. So you never know. It's not like we are target shooting. We pest. So it's not when we feel like it. It's when it appears.

The pigeons are back, and the ground squirrels are taking over, got rats.

This is a thread about how to make a spring gun quieter. Not shoot when they're not there.

I see you have a very sensitive situation on your hands. And you seam to be doing your best to handle on your end without consulting or disturbing or involving your moms neighbors and with good reason. As you have run out of ways to reduce the sound of you gun.Then go over and explaining yourself and see in fact if this bothers them maybe your only option and best option. at least you will know where you stand with them. Maybe surprised the pests might be a problem you share. Hope you find a way to resolve this best of luck.Just a thought you know best if this is helpful or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm 

CBS shooter wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:
It's hard to say if the neighbor would be very sensitive to the sound as any way loud or quiet, it won't be silent, right?

Have such a case in the life is hard to recover...

Pick the days the neighbor is not in the house for shooting?! So noise won't be a problem then....

Sent from my LG cellphone

That won't work. Because you cannot see their driveways. The mother is retired and the daughter in law, hasn't really been going to work. So you never know. It's not like we are target shooting. We pest. So it's not when we feel like it. It's when it appears.

The pigeons are back, and the ground squirrels are taking over, got rats.

This is a thread about how to make a spring gun quieter. Not shoot when they're not there.

I see you have a very sensitive situation on your hands. And you seam to be doing your best to handle on your end without consulting or disturbing or involving your moms neighbors and with good reason. As you have run out of ways to reduce the sound of you gun.Then go over and explaining yourself and see in fact if this bothers them maybe your only option and best option. at least you will know where you stand with them. Maybe surprised the pests might be a problem you share. Hope you find a way to resolve this best of luck.Just a thought you know best if this is helpful or not.

I tuned it to get some of the twang out. The problem solved it self.... Once hunting season hit.. BANG BANG BANG, from other neighbors. I guess they have to get used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 pm 

.22 LR, 22" to 24" bl. with CB Caps. Quieter than air rifle and kill pigeons just fine.
Crossman 10.5gr. Ultra Mags are Very Accurate in most springs and PCP's. There are
heavier pellets of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 pm 

I know I lag but too busy lately.
My Crosman; what happens is the spring bows out to the side which you can see w/ the stock off and/or clearly hear in the clink clink clink when cocking an unmodded gun. Far worse is when fired the spring is violently twanging around and reaching out much further than that. Plus the springs have a rough surface to make matters worse, so picture a rough coil reaching out onto the edge of the liner and pulling it down and in with that rough grippy surface. This is why flared (bigger) is better than just beveled, and of course plastic would survive attacks like that better than alum. I also sand the spring, not that I really need to but why not, but maybe it'll make the diff in someones borderline setup.

Ace; I disagree with it not helping at distance. I can easily tell a when a springer is fired in my hood, and I can tell if it's a coil or gas b/c the coil sound is obvious (to me) and is not drowned out by the other noises. Btw the lots here are ~50yds, and my parallax adj on my scope agrees so it's at least close to 50. I can hear five houses down easily, probably ten + if it's a quiet day. I can even hear the guys three houses down when I'm inside the house. Per my work my hearing is so bad I may lose my job, so if I can hear it then a woman w/ bionic hearing can.
The muzzle blast is hard to est but imo the coil spring is louder than the muzzle. Here's why I think so: When Stoeger made their new X20S I bought one to check out their new super suppressor. I compared it to a new Benj Titan which had no suppressor but Crosman claimed the gas spring was 70% quieter. Both guns unmodded btw. With the guns side by side I'd fire them and they were pretty much equally loud. This is subjective but side by side is a pretty fair test. The only issue is the noises were different so I fired them many times to better est. At the very least the coil spring noise is significant and worth the effort if noise is an issue. Noise is an issue for me, hence buying that gun just see if its suppressor was worth anything. Having do that test and many others to get max quiet, I can assure you this liner makes a huge diff. Unfortunately my neighbors can still easily hear my quietest springer, which is why I now have an Mrod I modded to have no muzzle blast :) just the hammer and its spring. Damn springs. I buttoned the hammer and next is a little liner ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 am 

If the neighbors are only 30m away then you should reconsider using a nonpal at all.
Detune, break out the JSBs and work on marksmanship then go for head shots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next