Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:15 pm 

Short of what we cannot own. How quiet can you get a spring airgun? Step father was complaining that the full power Ruger Airhawk was sounding like a 22. We live in the country, but there was a firearm related death next door. So doesn't want to trigger the neighbor. But that was many months ago. They should have moved on. But they haven't.

All I hear is EFFN pigeons. Every time I go over, and mom be like you better not shoot that thing. You give the neighbors a heart attack.

I took it apart, cleaned it, sleeved the piston more. Squared and polished the spring ends. Applied AV moly paste. Has a plastic spring guide.

If I remember, it shot around 856 with 8.2 grns. He might run 7.9's. So probably closer to 900. He's not really a airgunner so picks up whatever pellets he can get. I know there 2 tins of JSB 8.4s but hes still using the crosman pointed.

I did a sound test of my Sub 500 FPS Diana 240C and the PAL rated Ruger Airhawk. And in the basement it was slightly louder. But not ear ringing loud. It might been max 84 DB. VS around 76-78 DB for the SUB 500.

Should I tar the spring? Or am I maxed that can be done?

First shot is the Sub 500 FPS, 2nd shot is the full power Airhawk.

https://youtu.be/FFm9OSH2tv8?list=UUlDa ... vwz6OcEKHQ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:36 pm 

From my basic understanding of speed and sound as it relates to air rifles /springers, the heavier pellet will be a little bit more quiet. To get it super quiet though may consider a detuned to lower the fps and use a heavier pellet. Depending in how you look at it though a decrease in power will defeat the idea of a pal required rifle. The cheapest and easiest way would be to purchase another that doesn't require a pal. Hope that helps boss .
Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm 

Shoot heavier pellets so they are not sonic
Or as pointed out get a slower springer
Go 22cal as they for sure cannot go sonic in a springer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:22 pm 

Looks quiet and power just the two ends of a road... You can choose either one and can not get both...

The best one so far to me is the Izzy 46M... It shoots RWS R10 7g at 480+, but very quiet! I am so glad I choose it between the 46m and the Tau 7 while I planed to buy myself a serious target pistol! However it may be too weak of the power for your purpose?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm 

Navy wrote:
The cheapest and easiest way would be to purchase another that doesn't require a pal. Hope that helps boss .
Navy

Yeah but defeats the purpose of a PAL rated for dispatching critters on the farm. But if you listen to the video, the SUB 500 FPS is just a tad bit quieter then the full power.

I already asked if he wants it detuned and he said no, he wants the power.

Voltar1 wrote:
Shoot heavier pellets so they are not sonic
Or as pointed out get a slower springer
Go 22cal as they for sure cannot go sonic in a springer

I guess I could take his 7.9 grn pellets and force him to shoot the 8.4s. But he didn't want a 22.

YepYep wrote:
Looks quiet and power just the two ends of a road... You can choose either one and can not get both...

The best one so far to me is the Izzy 46M... It shoots RWS R10 7g at 480+, but very quiet! I am so glad I choose it between the 46m and the Tau 7 while I planed to buy myself a serious target pistol! However it may be too weak of the power for your purpose?!

I need power, but wondering if there a way of making it a tad bit quieter. But there a difference in a target pistol and a hunting airgun. We need it for dispatching critters. As you know, using a 953 is inhumane. We own a farm so there are Rats, Piegons, Squirrels etc.

Sorry there won't be purchasing another airgun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 am 

I wonder if piston air guns would benefit from an air brake on the piston head as used on some airsoft replicas:

The idea is that the spike on the piston head blocks off the transfer port towards the end of the piston travel (at which point the pellet would already have left the barrel) thereby trapping a small volume of air that serves as a cushion to reduce the impact of the piston on the cylinder head, which is surely a major source of noise on springers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:15 am 

PZAM wrote:
I wonder if piston air guns would benefit from an air brake on the piston head as used on some airsoft replicas:

The idea is that the spike on the piston head blocks off the transfer port towards the end of the piston travel (at which point the pellet would already have left the barrel) thereby trapping a small volume of air that serves as a cushion to reduce the impact of the piston on the cylinder head, which is surely a major source of noise on springers.

Cool concept. But wouldn't work on the Airhawk due to a offset transfer port.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Sounding to me like a re-education for your step dad and mom. A ruger air hawk is nowhere near a 22 rimmy. With the work you have done it should be nice and smooth..
Maybe have them go over by neighbors to listen while you shoot.
I bet it is no louder than a car door, maybe less.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Sounding to me like a re-education for your step dad and mom. A ruger air hawk is nowhere near a 22 rimmy. With the work you have done it should be nice and smooth..
Maybe have them go over by neighbors to listen while you shoot.
I bet it is no louder than a car door, maybe less.

When they get back, I will. I bought it home and I was expecting it to be dieseling and 22LR loud. But It's slightly louder then my Sub 500. I did put my phone around 20M and shot. It's not turn head loud.

But at the farm, one house is 30M and other house is 100M away. So you're right. At those distances shouldn't be enough to trigger them. I cannot get it any more quieter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm 

You need two guys, one to shoot, the other to find a spot near the neighbor's house to hear....

I did so to asked my daughter to do the listener to test how loud she can hear in the backyard, my neighbor's backyard while I shoot my guns inside the basement ( walk out basement), with door opened and closed....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm 

Unless your gun is detonating the oil/lube in the receiver, which will crack like a rim fire, most of the noise is from the powerplant, and shouldn't create a problem with neighbors. Because I shoot springer's outside, and have informed my neighbors that I do so, my closest neighbor says the only sound he can hear is the 'tink' of a pellet hitting a tin can. Keep in mind that what we, as shooter, hear is loud because our ears are so close to the action, and that mechanical noise doesn't carry very far. RC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm 

Oh, yeah... I remember last time I did the noise test, the last shot was shooting from indoor, but aimed at the backyard fence which me and my daughter both heard a very loud sound the pellet hit the wood piece and my daughter reported to me, she didn't hear much about the gun shot instead, and to me, I heard two sounds ...

Find someone else to help you for the actual sound level at the neighbor's door ~

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm 

Shooting in my backyard isn't the problem. Both my neighbors shoot airguns, and one owns firearms.

The problem is moms neighbors. It goes the Mother, then the Son's house. Well the Son took his own life a few months back in the back yard. They commented one day when he was alive. What the heck was that? When Pat shot a pigeon. But I think it was more the impact sound. So mom is afraid of triggering them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:59 pm 

It's hard to say if the neighbor would be very sensitive to the sound as any way loud or quiet, it won't be silent, right?

Have such a case in the life is hard to recover...

Pick the days the neighbor is not in the house for shooting?! So noise won't be a problem then....

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:31 pm 

YepYep wrote:
It's hard to say if the neighbor would be very sensitive to the sound as any way loud or quiet, it won't be silent, right?

Have such a case in the life is hard to recover...

Pick the days the neighbor is not in the house for shooting?! So noise won't be a problem then....

That won't work. Because you cannot see their driveways. The mother is retired and the daughter in law, hasn't really been going to work. So you never know. It's not like we are target shooting. We pest. So it's not when we feel like it. It's when it appears.

The pigeons are back, and the ground squirrels are taking over, got rats.

This is a thread about how to make a spring gun quieter. Not shoot when they're not there.