Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm 

Hi Guys! I've got this beautiful Slavia 630 .177 I bought recently here on the forum from a great guy. In beautiful shape and super quiet, can't believe it actually!
This gun is shooting over 500fps, so I'm not sure if the seller forgot about some tuning that was done or what is the issue. Shooting H&N excite plinking over my caldwell precision chronograph (also purchased off the forum from a super guy, Mr Marvin), this gun is shooting between 575 and 521fps, depending on which lights I use, lol!
Doc Sharptail had mentioned to me that the few fps difference id noticed between the lights was really neglible, and I agreed, so thought I'd shoot a bunch of pellets over the chrony with my Slavia, since I figured it would be most consistent. Well, there really isn't much difference, that's true, though it does seem to shoot faster with the led lights than the infrared led. Not much though, only 20fps or so and there is some overlap, so Doc is right, it doesn't really make any difference. Now I need to get it out in the sun and do the same test to see if it is close to outdoor light velocity reading.
The infrared are shooting at 520-555 and the led lights are shooting 540-575. Good thing I have a PAL!
So for anyone looking for a light source for their chrony, these LED pucks from Canadian tire are great, and so are the infrared lights off aliexpress. Here is what I bought, for $27 shipping included. Only silly thing was I somehow got the EU plug instead of the US plug, lol. Good thing my wife is from Finland and I had some adapters laying around!
Funny thing, I found out the infrared didn't want to register well unless I had scotch tape over the sensor holes in the chronograph, and yet the LED puck lights worked better without the tape. Strange! Or maybe not and I'm just showing my ignorance, lol.
Here is some pics
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:14 am 

Good for the girls. Hope they show and keep an active interest!

I am still keeping an eye out for a Toz springer (pre-Baikal) with the competition sights. I shot one quite a bit in much younger days.
I was making my way down one of the fire guard trails today, and came across a young fella and his son. The boy looked to be about 4 years old, and was carrying a personal favorite of mine- a Marlin Cowboy b.b. :mrgreen:

If there is a shorter set of diffuser rods included with the chronograph, they may help with indoor lighting.

That's almost my current set up now. 25 w night light bulbs with the extension cord heads positioned to lift the lamp so it doesn't melt through the diffuser. Cords and lamps and bulbs sourced from Dollarama...
Note the short diffuser rods. Lighting is set to illuminate through the diffusers, and not the sensors. This set-up gives me readings equal to outdoor daylight.

- D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:47 am 

lol~ the two girls are so cute especially the purple one looks don't like the weight of the gun?! :D

And the infrared light looks big! I hope it's not too heavy...

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Good for the girls. Hope they show and keep an active interest!

I am still keeping an eye out for a Toz springer (pre-Baikal) with the competition sights. I shot one quite a bit in much younger days.
I was making my way down one of the fire guard trails today, and came across a young fella and his son. The boy looked to be about 4 years old, and was carrying a personal favorite of mine- a Marlin Cowboy b.b. :mrgreen:

If there is a shorter set of diffuser rods included with the chronograph, they may help with indoor lighting.

That's almost my current set up now. 25 w night light bulbs with the extension cord heads positioned to lift the lamp so it doesn't melt through the diffuser. Cords and lamps and bulbs sourced from Dollarama...
Note the short diffuser rods. Lighting is set to illuminate through the diffusers, and not the sensors. This set-up gives me readings equal to outdoor daylight.

- D.S.
That looks like a good idea Doc, especially since it works!
Yeah I hope I can get the girls interested =)
They are supposed to join a family archery club with me in November so maybe that will get them going =).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm 

YepYep wrote:
lol~ the two girls are so cute especially the purple one looks don't like the weight of the gun?! :D

And the infrared light looks big! I hope it's not too heavy...

Sent from my LG cellphone
Yeah! They were not sure how to hold it to start with =)
I'll make shooters out of them yet!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:48 pm 

the 630 is a full size pellet rifle, little on the big side for them
they'd enjoy and do much better with a 624 or 620.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:10 am 

This is true! Thanks =).
They like how quiet it is though!