Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Shipping question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:27 pm 

When you guys ship rifles, what is the description you are giving at the post office?

Sporting goods, air rifle?

Post subject: Re: Shipping question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
When you guys ship rifles, what is the description you are giving at the post office?

Ive been shipping rifles for almost 20 years. I tell them nothing. It's none of their business. Because most of the time they don't even know the rules/laws and will try to tell you they cannot ship it.

If they really hound. Say Machined parts, cam shaft for a diesel engine, or table leg. Some say large adult toy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:32 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Some say large adult toy.

lol~ I doubt that's a bit over sized.....

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 pm 

YepYep wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Some say large adult toy.

lol~ I doubt that's a bit over sized.....

You never know? But does quiet them up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 pm 

Nope ~ the only experience for me to mail a firrarm was the broken P17 to your address, and the counter just weighted, measured and asked nothing...

I did received a couple of guns from some other forum members, I don't know if they were asked... Looks our post office has not much interest to know what's inside the package....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:17 pm 

The only time you should be asked “what’s in the box?” is when you ship out of country, sporting goods is a good vague but accurate description, in country “an empty box” is a good description

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:27 pm 

The only time you should reveal what's in a package being shipped is on a Customs declaration form for out of country shipments. As suggested above, don't be too specific on the description (I like Pneumatic Pellet Dispenser). A Postal employee has neither the lawful right or authority to ask what you're shipping otherwise. Maybe they're just nosy...
The only exception MAY be for insurance reasons, if you're shipping something high-end.

I haven't had any issues (or questions) with airgun shipments over the years, but secure and discrete packaging helps prevent prying eyes and sticky fingers. Not to mention physical damage that can occur.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 pm 

I was asked and corrected her guess that it was a firearm to it is an air rifle, a bb gun. That satisfied her.
She claims they are 'required' to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:21 am 

outdoor sports equipment, is what I tell them all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am 

Because if you say it's a firearm. They will not ship it. Because CP policy for shipping firearm are.

Locked in a hard case and the firearm trigger locked, or bolt removed.

NO dealers ship airguns, pistols or rifles. In hard cased or trigger locked. And cannot be sent by Air. Funny it's okay for dealers, but not private sellers. Why I don't agree with it.

Only thing they are legally allowed to ask. If it contains any dangerous goods or non mailing matter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am 

leadslinger wrote:
It's none of their business.

This.

Aside from asking if the contents are flammable/explosive or improperly packaged perishables you don't have to divulge any information. If you must sporting equipment is a suffice response. They do not have any business asking if it's a firearm. None. Don't tell them even if they ask.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:33 am 

leadslinger wrote:
peterdulux wrote:

Ive been shipping rifles for almost 20 years. I tell them nothing. It's none of their business. Because most of the time they don't even know the rules/laws and will try to tell you they cannot ship it.

If they really hound. Say Machined parts, cam shaft for a diesel engine, or table leg. Some say large adult toy.

Total agree, I've shipped a lot of guns and parts, after a while my local Cnd Post branch starting asking questions what I'm shipping, and I said "lady products", no questions ever asked again. :lol: It's none of their business, but what I noticed the more I shipped the more they had interest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:09 pm 

Mine has never asked, but they wouldn't have to anyway. They know what I am into.
One of the ladies there told me she just got her PAL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 pm 

Shipping firearms by the postal system is lawful in Canada. The box should not indicate what is in it. So if it says Remington Arms, just wrap it in paper. It is not lawful to ship powder burning ammunition by post. Ship such ammo by courier.