Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:56 pm 

I have no idea how to go about this. The seal is on there tight. Don't want to use a flathead screwdriver or anything metallic to pry it off as I'll just scratch up the piston. Anything thin and plastic doesn't doesn't seem strong enough. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks gents.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm 

Use your thumb and index finger to hold the two sides of the o ring (I think the seal is an o ring?!) tight, then squeeze it up, then use your another hand or a tooth pick etc to help you remove it from the piston?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:41 pm 

Slide a buck knife....or any knife with a thin blade under the seal and twist...It will pop off easy....Putting it back on..... just put the seal in a cup and heat it for about 2 minutes with a hair dryer...Put on a glove and just press and twist it on with the palm of your hand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 pm 

@YepYep. Kind of hard to visualize that. The seal is kind of like a donut/o-ring with a channel in the middle. The piston head is kind of like a flat mushroom. And the seal is on there quite tight. Here's a pic:

@MyCrossman. Hmmm, not sure about a knife just yet. Sorry, just don't want to scratch the piston. But, I never thought about using heat! Maybe I'll try heating the seal and see if it stretches easier.

Thanks gents.

Attachments:
20180930_184807.jpg
20180930_184807.jpg [ 561.36 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 pm 

My 'squeezing' method is for the donut / o ring type... Not the one on your pics...

I doubt just use more force to pull it out?! Never deal with that yet... Waiting for final answer too ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 pm 

IanV wrote:
@YepYep. Kind of hard to visualize that. The seal is kind of like a donut/o-ring with a channel in the middle. The piston head is kind of like a flat mushroom. And the seal is on there quite tight. Here's a pic:

@MyCrossman. Hmmm, not sure about a knife just yet. Sorry, just don't want to scratch the piston. But, I never thought about using heat! Maybe I'll try heating the seal and see if it stretches easier.

Thanks gents.

I never had a problem with using knives during dozens of seal changes but if you feel more comfortable with heat then yes heat it up with a hair dryer for a minute and then push up on the seal with your thumb...it will pop off...metal also expands with heat but the expansion of the seal will be much greater.. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 pm 

pry a very thin but as wide flat blade screw driver in the slot and just pop it off...like an old pop bottle 8)
you will not damage your piston the piston is a very strong metal...then to put it back on just heat
up some water place the seal in the cap of very warm water let it site for a minute or so
and it will go back on very easy don't force it back on or you will ruin the inside lip of the seal
where it attaches to the piston...then you'll have a seal that will come off on its own and you don't want that.... :wink:

Attachments:
20180930_184807.jpg
20180930_184807.jpg [ 27.48 KiB | Viewed 1201 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 am 

Pour a kettle of hot water over it, wear rubber gloves and/or wrap it in a towel to get a grip and pull it off quickly before it cools.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 am 

I just use a mini flat head screw driver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I just use a mini flat head screw driver.

same. Youtube has few good video's demonstrating the technique.

Putting the seal back on is the hard part. Easy once you learn how. My technique is to put the seal in hot water, place on the bench (on something flat and clean), then in a circle osculating motion push the piston down on the seal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm 

Heat worked. DDtanks suggestion of pouring a kettle of hot water would've worked too. I let mine soak in freshly boiled water for maybe 3mins, then just wrapped it in a paper towel and pulled it off by hand. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 pm 

Glad it worked.....I accidentally boiled one of my seals for a full 15 minutes and there was no difference in appearance afterwards....went on the piston easy mind you...lol... and its works as normal... :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 am 

I just push it off with my thumb like you would a bottle cap, meaning just push on one side till it comes off. If too slick w/ lube I put a paper towel over it. Sometimes I need to use two thumbs to get that sucker off.
Getting it back on will be harder... You can put them on like you would a tire, if you've ever done that. Put one side in the groove where it goes, then use a small/thin flat screwdriver like a mini tire iron to pry it on.
I actually sand the sharp edge of the dovetail a bit so it's no longer sharp, then it's much easier to put on and no tools req'd.