Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hammerli 850 in 177
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:14 pm 

Anyone have one of these? I had one in 22, quite liked it but there was too much of a pellet drop at long range so half thinking about another in 177, which should be better. Wondering how it would do out to 40, 50 yards or so.

Post subject: Re: Hammerli 850 in 177
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 am 

The H850 was unique in its time in that it was CO2-powered, multi-shot, and PAL rated. Now, it is over-priced and under-performs compared to the options available today. I had an 850 for a season just before I got into PCP, and it performed well by standards of the day. Its main issue then and now is its power source: 88-gram CO2 carts, which are very expensive, highly sensitive to to typical CO2 climatic issues, and unreliable in their ability to hold pressure from one shoot to the next.

Peeps made their 850s better by converting them to CO2 tanks or HPA, which helped the rifle maintain its "good performance" status for a bit longer. Today, there are what a lot of airgunners consider better options for a "conversion" rifle: the QB78 for example, which has far more mod options available.

Short answer: it was a unique option in its time, but there are many other (cheaper) options for similar or better performance in today's market, thanks to airgun modders and the relatively new market full of cheap PCPs.

Shorter answer: a stock 850 is inconsistent at any distance because of its native power source.

JMO
$0.00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm 

Yes, I think you are probably right. I'm looking to do PCP on the cheap but this doesn't really do it. They are not so cheap either though I don't consider the 88g CO2 an expensive deal breaker at all.
I considered the bulk tank for the the 22 I had but never got around to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:21 pm 

I don;t know...Image
Couple of parts from local shops, couple of 3D printed parts...
And my RWS 850 holds up quite nicely compared to my Gauntlet... :mrgreen:
I'm very pleased how it turned out!

Although prices for parts did go up a bit since I did mine...
-13ci Air Tank with 88g Adapter
-Inline On/Off Valve
R&R Gun Repair Spring #46530191 & Guide #46530301

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 pm 

Nice conversion but that's on air though not CO2, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Nice conversion but that's on air though not CO2, correct?

Yes the parts I used are high lighted between the pictures of my above post. Image