Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am 

Do all Umarex BB/pellet guns have the warning message on the guns in white lettering. I"ve had my eye on a few models, but the warning message ruins the look of the gun too much for me. It looks like Sig Sauer does the same...I think Beretta as well but not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

Yep, that's true. Just like the orange tip on the airsoft guns...

Depending on manufacture and related regulations...

You may try to fade them out by many mathods from YouTube and you can find some ways within the forum... We just talked about that these days...

Happy shooting ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

Post subject: Re: Umarex products and
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:33 pm 

Thanks...makes sense...some manufacturers aren't that bold with this warning message. Ie. Daisy has them in black. The Umarex Glock Model 19 looks damn sweet - warning markings are very discrete.

YepYep wrote:
Yep, that's true. Just like the orange tip on the airsoft guns...

Depending on manufacture and related regulations...

You may try to fade them out by many mathods from YouTube and you can find some ways within the forum... We just talked about that these days...

Happy shooting ~

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 pm 

Guess not everyone is alike. I shoot airsoft at my trailer park and would not think of shooting one their with no orange tip. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 pm 

Just use a paint marker and fill in the white letters. It's not illegal to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:28 pm 

Timely thread.
Lettering was discussed today on the Airgun Experience blog.
https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-experience/the-white-letter-chronicles/

The lengthy warning labels on the sides are are shame though, I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Just use a paint marker and fill in the white letters. It's not illegal to do so.

You might want to think twice about doing that. Making it more realistic may lead to a problem if you are a back yard shooter. You just need one person of the public see you and report the incident. I heard thru a friend a person had their gun confiscated by the opp while shooting in their back yard because they did the same. Not sure if a charge was laid. The white lettering is there for the public and police benefit to let them know it’s not a real handgun. Then again their neighbour was a bit of a cranky sort I heard. But that’s up to you. I got 1 visit in the years I been shooting and she inspected my CO2 gun to ensure the writing was visible, look over my shooting setup and wished me a good day. Handguns are a hot issue with many.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm 

B-Aube wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

You might want to think twice about doing that. Making it more realistic may lead to a problem if you are a back yard shooter. You just need one person of the public see you and report the incident. I heard thru a friend a person had their gun confiscated by the opp while shooting in their back yard because they did the same. Not sure if a charge was laid. The white lettering is there for the public and police benefit to let them know it’s not a real handgun. Then again their neighbour was a bit of a cranky sort I heard. But that’s up to you. I got 1 visit in the years I been shooting and she inspected my CO2 gun to ensure the writing was visible, look over my shooting setup and wished me a good day. Handguns are a hot issue with many.

No offense. But it wouldn't matter if it had white letters or not. If you're quickly glancing at it, or police see it. They are not going to think, hmm is that fake? By the time if they think. They're dead or shot. Being that I was infantry and carried all the time. All you got is a split second. Police officers are the same.

I can white letter my real firearms for the make/model to stand out more. So how is that going to make any safer? Make it less real? It's not going to be noticeable enough at any distance and won't be able to tell when they look at it up close. By that time it's too late.

I got a friend that a police officer, he often send me photos that people report to figure out if it's a real gun or not.

White lettering aside. Someone walking by isn't going to notice if that an airgun or a rifle right away. So how are white lettering going to be any different?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
B-Aube wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

No offense. But it wouldn't matter if it had white letters or not. If you're quickly glancing at it, or police see it. They are not going to think, hmm is that fake? By the time if they think. They're dead or shot. Being that I was infantry and carried all the time. All you got is a split second. Police officers are the same.

I can white letter my real firearms for the make/model to stand out more. So how is that going to make any safer? Make it less real? It's not going to be noticeable enough at any distance and won't be able to tell when they look at it up close. By that time it's too late.

I got a friend that a police officer, he often send me photos that people report to figure out if it's a real gun or not.

White lettering aside. Someone walking by isn't going to notice if that an airgun or a rifle right away. So how are white lettering going to be any different?

No offence either. From the same back ground with family in the police force as well. Your reasoning is just argumentative and doesn’t promote safety for the general public or first responders. The lettering is there for a purpose. I’m surprised your police offer friend shares that info with you. I was told sharing info from daily police activities with public or even family members is against working policy unless authorized. I’ll end the discussion there and think it best we just leave each other be in the forum please. Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am 

Talking about blacking them out, not removing the warning label. Going to be treated as a gun complaint, till they come up and inspect it. So doesn't matter if it has white letters or not. Won't make a difference till you physically inspect it. I can stand in my driveway shooting safety down my back yard, With a red ryder. Someone passing by isn't going to notice right away..Oh just a BB gun.

They will just report someone standing in the driveway with a gun. Non airgunners are not going to know of that just a Red Ryder, or that got white lettering that a XXX. All they are going to see is "gun"

So sorry you do not like my answer. Because doesn't change public safety one bit. Will be treated as a gun no matter what. White letters or not.

Because out of these guns. Which one is the airgun?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am 

Anyone shooting where their neighbors can see them without talking to said neighbors first is a fool. Anybody shooting where passerby's can see them is equally a fool. The general public can't tell an airgun from a potato peeler so keep them out of sight if you're shooting. The only time lettering is going to count is when someone is 5 feet away and that someone will likely be carrying a gun of their own.

That's my 2 cents worth (taxes included, adjusted for inflation).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am 

Agreed...neighbors should be made aware beforehand that it's an airgun and not to be alarmed.

Depending on what province you're in, isn't it illegal to shoot in your own backyard???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm 

BBKen wrote:
Agreed...neighbors should be made aware beforehand that it's an airgun and not to be alarmed.

Depending on what province you're in, isn't it illegal to shoot in your own backyard???

Call the local Police and ask. If you don't want the call about shooting in your back yard to be attached to your address,

call from someone else's house.

sub 500fpe and 4.2fpe air guns are not firearms FOR LICENSING PURPOSES ONLY.

If it is used as a firearm, it IS a firearm in the eyes of the law. If it disturbs or frightens someone, it becomes a firearm.

Court case might be thrown out, or not - either way, it can be expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

Not really... Within the city limit, discharge of any guns ( except water gun) looks all not allowed except inside your house.

So, just don't risk your luck... Maybe the officers won't bring you trouble this time, but you will be on the list and if something happens around your neighborhood, they will ask you first....

And this looks depends... My security supervisor has a friend who is a kindergarten teacher (!!), and he likes guns and have everything prepared ( R.PAL), and have some collection in the house.... And his ' friends' who visits him most often is the police officers... As told, almost every other week the police will go to have a talk with the poor guy.... If he's not home, they will call and make a appointment in advance.... lol...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 pm 

Totally agree. First responders see the ugly side of things in society more than most of us and that’s why being smart and safe is the best practice. When you read the rcmp site on air guns you get the sense it is one best to be safe, discreet, advise neighbors or anything else to keep from being visited by the police. Replica pistols have a bad reputation in some areas. Keeping a healthy attitude about it will aid your shooting enjoyment. Negative attitude will eventually bring one a problem with the authorities.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next