Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Ordering from US - UPS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 am 

I have an order pending from Pyramyd air - they apparently use UPS only to Canada. I was hoping there was an option to use USPS, but no luck.

I"m concerned about the charges I'll have to pay and if there'll be any hold ups at customs because the shipment will contain a BB and Pellet gun. Both under 500 fps.

If anyone has ordered from the US, and can provide me some insight on what to expect in terms of UPS charges or delays, that would be helpful. One gun is $210 and the other is $120. For one I will need to pay the HST of the equivalent CAD price of both items combined, but what about duty or any other UPS charges? In the past, I was not happy with UPS because of charges and what they charge for.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am 

The one that should concern you is the brokerage fee. I simply will not buy an item from the us that must be sent ups.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am 

I believed PA already charge you everything and no more need to pay again to UPS when it arrives... That my only experience on Airguns one time several months ago when buying a SIG P250 from PA...

My 'extras' from this world famous 'BEST' carrier was my package just went back and forth some times while passing through the customs... From the tracing result, it was just hold/ inspect/ release and again and again at the same location in two days before stepped on the final delivery journey to my address ...

Finally I got it without further issue, I won't buy from PA again because they use UPS only... Oshoot is a much better choice if you have to buy something from PA and only PA carries ...

Give it some more days, and check the online tracing, it would be fun ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

Daisy 953/3-9x40 AO Hawke Scope
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
The one that should concern you is the brokerage fee. I simply will not buy an item from the us that must be sent ups.

X2
UPS brokerage fees are hugely expensive, and I will not use them for anything being imported.
I have a nice $20 t-shirt from a music store in LA that ended up costing me close to $70, thanks to UPS for the brokerage fees and duty they imposed...
It may be convenient for the US seller, but way expensive for us in the Great White North...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am 

Years ago, I found a short ram air intake for my car with nice reviews and nice price for about 50/60 bucks something...

That's the first time I made friends with UPS...

This sucker charged me the equal price for an 50 bucks to release it to me... I don't know how they calculate the final price and I couldn't just refuse and asked them bring it back to US as then I would lost my 50 bucks paid for the intake... So I just wasted time to wait for the intake and paid the same price to buy something similar locally....

And I gave a few more chances to them later, but the 100% loss rate just stop me to deal with them again... They just never made me satisfied for even once...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am 

Ok - got it. UPS suks......perhaps vendors would take notice that in CAN we get dinged for using such a courier, and they really should offer USPS as a service. We'd only have to pay HST and a small brokerage fee of under $10 or so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:01 pm 

UPS shipping in the States has already been charged to you. What happens when the parcel hits the Canadian Border, is US UPS turns
the parcel over to UPS Canada, who then delivers it to you. You may be charged up to as much as 30% of the declared value.
I will not accept having any parcel from the States shipped any other method but USPS.

My brother shipped a 42" barreled flintlock rifle (in a screwed together plywood box) to Allentown Pennsylvania for display and judging at Dixon's gun Maker's fair.
After the 'fair', he shipped it back to PG without ANY problems, using Canada Post and USPS. Shipping & insurance was expensive - but the rifle made it both ways,
in perfect shape. $75.00 each way. To ship a rifle valued at $10,000.00, $75.00 was cheap. The rifle won blue and red ribbons at the "fair". Yipeee. It should have won
"Best in Show", according to the man who won that ribbon with a nice pistol be built. He said Taylor's rifle was much better and he actually lodged a complaint on
Taylor's behalf. The judges held their decision due the rifle coming from Canada, I suspect.

Attachments:
Dixons028.jpg
Dixons028.jpg [ 150.59 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Air Force Condor .25
Umarex Gauntlet .22
Air Force Talon .177
HW97 KT .177
HW98 .22
Brocock Concept .22
Artemis PP700S-A .22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm 

Just order it through Oshoot.ca, he does the importing from Pyramid Air.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm 

Yes I ordered from Pyramyd Air about 3 months ago. I should have followed the advise here....Buy Canadian. Everything was fine up to the border. I received a call from UPS asking for permission to pick up a package at the border. I said sure assuming that was all part of the delivery charge. Boy was I wrong. They delivered the package no problem. Then they sent the bill for picking up the package. $69.00 to deliver from the border to Kingston, an hours drive. And that was on a hundred dollar order. Learned my lesson. I think it was ten-ring that warned me, should have listened. So I contacted Pyramyd Air about using US Mail and Canada Post. Nope, they use UPS. Soooo..... no more orders from Pyramyd Air. Your experience may differ.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 am 

I aborted my order because of the feedback received....I let Pyramyd air know that UPS is not a good thing for us, and they said that UPS is the only way they'd ship. They are losing business as a result....I guess they don't want to tailor to us folks.

Ah well...

Crosshair54 wrote:
Yes I ordered from Pyramyd Air about 3 months ago. I should have followed the advise here....Buy Canadian. Everything was fine up to the border. I received a call from UPS asking for permission to pick up a package at the border. I said sure assuming that was all part of the delivery charge. Boy was I wrong. They delivered the package no problem. Then they sent the bill for picking up the package. $69.00 to deliver from the border to Kingston, an hours drive. And that was on a hundred dollar order. Learned my lesson. I think it was ten-ring that warned me, should have listened. So I contacted Pyramyd Air about using US Mail and Canada Post. Nope, they use UPS. Soooo..... no more orders from Pyramyd Air. Your experience may differ.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 am 

BBKen wrote:
I aborted my order because of the feedback received....I let Pyramyd air know that UPS is not a good thing for us, and they said that UPS is the only way they'd ship. They are losing business as a result....I guess they don't want to tailor to us folks.

Ah well...

I don't think PA would really care about loosing Canadian business. Probably would be happier, less paperwork to do. Where not really ordering much to make even a dent in their US sales.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

Another alternative is to have it delivered to a UPS store on the American side of the border then go and personally pick it up. I've done this with items that cannot be had in Canada. Pyramid are good to deal with - I've placed several orders with them when I lived temporarily in the US. The best thing about them is the buy 3 tins, get the 4th one free deal. Back when the dollar was close to par, this was the best deal on pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:56 am 

From what I just read thanks for the information, just about to place an order. How about the UK ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:40 am 

Yeah...I want to know that. But looks more complicated to order from UK....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:30 pm 

Every charge is supposed to be included when you buy from PA.
You don't have to accept the brokerage fees from UPS, you can say it's already paid for in this case or say that you'll be taking care of it yourself.
UPS doesn't know litter and always try to charge people for things they already paid for. If you ship stuff overnight or next with them it will only get worst.
We used to call them weekly about stuff that was overcharged to us and the answer would always be the same "oh we're sorry, we're going to credit you" or in easy to understand english "we tried to rob you, it's a shame we got caught, we're giving you back your money and we'll try again next week"
The guy from receiving came to se me 3 weeks ago because the UPS driver had a brokerage fee that we had to apparently pay. I didn't pay a cent, it took me about an 1h1\2 including waiting time on the phone to get the proof to UPS that it was already paid for.
I hate them.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun