Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am 

I was told that it wasn't a good idea to interchange between pellets and BBs for models that can accept both. Reason being that the barrel will eventually widen over time?

Curious to hear from you all whether it's better to stick shooting with one particular ammo type and choosing a gun specific to that type only.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 am 

Never own a gun can shoot both...

IMO, technically, a soft lead pellet blown out through the rifling in a rifled barrel will make it flies to the target better ( sorry for my bad English as a second language to me... : ( but I know you will understand ~ )

I don't know what will it goes if we shoot a pellet in a smooth barrel... Anyway, I don't think we will have the accuracy as shooting it in a rifled barrel...

And we know the air gun barrel is not as strong as the powder burners'... Soft lead will not do harm to it. But the .177 BBs is 'STEEL' BBs, which is much harder than lead, maybe harder than the metal to make the barrel too? I don't know. But the rifling is not that strong and in order to fit tight to the lead pellet, it will be tight to the BBs too...

Running through a tunnel like this with 400fps speed... Do you think it will harm the rifling or not?! I don't want to take the risk...

Maybe while the gun still new, you will find shooting BBs for fun and cheaper, then change to pellet gives you higher accuracy... However, in a long run, I doubt the gun will be able to shoot BBs only...

But it's not a big deal as we can use pellet only on the gun and you don't need high end expensive pellets because I don't think you will use this BB/pellet gun for competition, right? So, just have your fun and no need to worry about too much ~

I don't have this type of guns just because they are not my tea ( for what they looks, nothing related to the capacity for being 'Flex-Fuel')~

Sent from my LG cellphone

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

What he said...
I got a Umarex PX4 Storm as a birthday gift a couple of years ago, and it only saw about a couple dozen BBs down the pipe to check the FPS(marginally better than pellets), and accuracy(less than the RWS Hobby's I used). I suspect all such 2-in1 pistols would fare the same.
It's a compromise at best, but it does give you a choice of ammo.
I'll stick with pellets in this one. It doesn't get a lot of use, so rifling wear shouldn't be an issue anyway...