Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:51 pm 

Have an odd question.

Someone locally purchased a brand new PAL rated gun (Weirauch HW77) and didn't like the way it was shooting. They removed the spring and changed it to a spring (the factory de-tuned spring) so now the gun shoots at 478 FPS.

I don't have a PAL license and I'm interested in purchasing this gun.

My questions are:

1) Can I get into trouble for possessing a gun that was originally PAL rated but is now non-PAL?

2) Are PAL rated airguns documented somewhere? Does the seller need to document that they have sold the gun to me, or does the conversion to the Non-PAL spring mean that the gun can freely be sold amongst Non-PAL holders?

Bit of an odd question, as most guns probably start off as Non-PAL rated and then get modified to being PAL rated.

Thanks
James

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:07 am 

Iirc these were offered as non pal at one time
You are buying in good faith as non pal
It is shooting at non pal
Think you are good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:00 am 

I would get a licensed airgunsmith to certify it as a non pal.

In case something happens, you're going to have to prove to them its not. But they may still charge you with possession.

Because was imported as a PAL gun, sold as a PAL gun, and serial number probably comes back as a PAL gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am 

Is there such a thing as a licensed airgunsmith?
Who might they be?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:40 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
Is there such a thing as a licensed airgunsmith?
Who might they be?

I'm sure there is. Dedicated airgun repair shops, or someone that can verify firearms. But your going to need to try and convince police or a judge. That a PAL rated airgun is no longer a PAL rated airgun. But they will probably see it as once a firearm, always a firearm.

Because the person selling could technically be charged for selling a firearm to a unlicensed person. Because he bought it PAL rated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:20 am 

That's a tricky scenario...technically..it shoots as non pal....so you'd be hard pressed to call it a pal rated gun...its a toss up really how they would call it.....I suppose bringing up that point to the powers that be.... may trigger(pun intended) an interest on their part to the ease of which airguns can be altered...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
That's a tricky scenario...technically..it shoots as non pal....so you'd be hard pressed to call it a pal rated gun...its a toss up really how they would call it.....I suppose bringing up that point to the powers that be.... may trigger(pun intended) an interest on their part to the ease of which airguns can be altered...

A dealer imported it as a PAL rated. So that serial number would be in their registry as a PAL rated. Anything that would happen, would come back to the dealer that sold it. The power that be, would see that as a loop hole to sell un licensed people PAL rated guns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm going to pass on this. Because the gun was originally registered as a PAL, and I have no intention of getting my PAL license........I'm going to wait until I can find a non-pal rated unit.

James

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 pm 

Calgary_dude wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm going to pass on this. Because the gun was originally registered as a PAL, and I have no intention of getting my PAL license........I'm going to wait until I can find a non-pal rated unit.

James

Probably that's your best bet......why chance it.........there's certainly a lot of quality non pal guns to choose from. :D