Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 pm 

Current configuration. 3.5 - 10 X 36mm A/O Banner. Scope came with elevation drums for .22 LR , .22 WMR, and 17 HMR. Eye relief is pretty forgiving on this one, due to it's rimfire based design. Heft feels like about 6 1/4 lbs, which is darn good considering all the mass this rifle carries.

Stretched her out to 20 yds today for some penetration experimenting. Was actually pretty gusty for air gun shooting today, and a bit on the cool side as well.

She went on a 2 mile hike with me after the pit session. No fatigue at all from carrying it. Found a new way to pump with improved leverage with the bottom side of the buttstock against my hip, and gripping the gun at the pistol grip. Far less strenuous than the over the breech hold...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 am 

Good to know, thanks for the tip! Looks good, nice scope. That short breech is a bit of a challenge hey for mounting things.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:50 am 

Did some chrony work with the Artemis, and the old Crosman 101.

Was kind of curious about consistency of the Air Arms 16.0 gr diablo domes.

At 8 pumps with the Artemis I was getting very close to the 600 mark.

They averaged 600.4 over ten shots with an extreme spread of just 4.5 fps.
That is very good performance with a pumper~ the sort of thing that is expected from a regulated pcp.

They lag a bit in speed behind the 16.0 gr polymag predator. I think this is because there is a lot more pellet surface in contact with the bore- specifically the head. The predators are 30-40 fps faster at the same 8 pumps.

The Artemis certainly dwarfs the 101, both in physical size and performance.

At 8 pumps with the 101, the same pellet was all over the chronograph landscape in terms of speed. Extreme spread was 33.6 fps, and average was 504.4 fps.

At 5 pumps, the 101 is much calmer with an extreme spread of 5.3 fps and an average velocity of 469.3 fps.

I am continually amazed at what I have here in the Artemis pump rifle....

The more I work with it, the less inclined I become to alter it in any way.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:28 am 

Great to hear!

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Current configuration. 3.5 - 10 X 36mm A/O Banner. Scope came with elevation drums for .22 LR , .22 WMR, and 17 HMR. Eye relief is pretty forgiving on this one, due to it's rimfire based design. Heft feels like about 6 1/4 lbs, which is darn good considering all the mass this rifle carries.

Stretched her out to 20 yds today for some penetration experimenting. Was actually pretty gusty for air gun shooting today, and a bit on the cool side as well.

She went on a 2 mile hike with me after the pit session. No fatigue at all from carrying it. Found a new way to pump with improved leverage with the bottom side of the buttstock against my hip, and gripping the gun at the pistol grip. Far less strenuous than the over the breech hold...

-D.S.

We have a gravel pit looks almost EXACTLY like that, Doc, up near Babine Lake where I was guiding moose hunters. That pit usually had a black bear or 3 in it, every time we drove by, heading out moose hunting from camp.
Walking around with a gun, is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 am 

Spring 2 years ago I seen my first wolf in a lot of years there.
Whitetail Rut City around the edges. Lots of rub and scrape.
Passed up on a decent sized snowshoe bunny last time there. Heavy willows, and wasn't sure the Artemis would thread through them.
That pit is ground water ponds in early spring.

It's one of my favourite places to shoot. Very easy to orientate to the wind in there....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:24 pm 

Just ordered in a .177 rifle length bbl. and breech for it, as well as a Discovery 3-9X A/O scope for it.

I have the bbl cleaned and mounted, and am hoping for a shooting test next week sometime.

A lot of thought went into this design. A good example of this is the bolt tensioning system that is built into the breech.
It's a springless screw and detent ball. Properly adjusted, it prevents the bolt from opening on it's own...

Scope looks like a very nice one for the money. It focusses down to 5 yds, which is a bit on the close side.
Will get back to this with some pix later in the week...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:09 am 

Here's a quick look at the scope with phone pix. I think the Nikon needs new rechargeable batteries...

Rubberized "bra caps" :shock: which are new to me...

As is the sunshade...

Haven't done a thing with it yet except to focus the eye-piece, which in my far-sighted case, means turned "out" all the way.
Reticle is different too.

Not sure what to make of the 1/2 mil slash marks. Will form an opinion once I've shot with it.
Reticle appears to have medium thickness wires.

Looks like a relatively bright and clear scope. While it won't nudge the Diamondback in terms of image quality, it will give the Banner series quite a good run.

I like the matte finish on this one quite a bit. Will see how she does later this week.

The A/O ring is a bit tight to turn, but not a big deal. These usually loosen up a bit with a little usage.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 am 

First shooting test 8)

This was shot with 8.44 gr JSB domes with the Banner 3.5-10 X 36mm A/O and the new .177 bbl aboard the Artemis pumper. 3 pumps.
12 meters. I did not chrony tonight. Sounds like upper 500's at 3 pumps- there's a bit of a crack there. Group was shot after zeroing the Banner.

Those pellets are sort of old, and oxidized. I think I have a new tin around here somewhere.

No problems with pellets nudging the breech seal.

The rifle still has the original bbl band on it, and it rattles a bit on pumping. Will have to find a way to spread the new, smaller bbl band enough to get it onto the tube.

This is how the suppressor threads were covered, in lieu of a front sight. This doesn't bother me in the least- I don't shoot well enough over open sights to be concerned with lack of a front sight.

This is what the rifle looks like with the 3-9 X 40mm A/O Discovery scope on it.

Scope is bright. It flares under the overhead fluorescents in the shop. I can see why a shade was included with it. Personally, I think light is spilling into the eye-piece. I doubt if it's the objective causing the flare. Friend Vagrant had some rubber shades for the eye-bells on his scopes, and they actually work quite well. This may be worth pursuing for me. I get the same type of flaring with the Diamondback scope, so I'm fairly certain this is not an optical quality issue.

Rings are a little too high for my liking. Scope seems to have plenty of adjustment range. Had no problems with running out of clicks.

The reticle is actually very nice. I will have to do some work with the half slash marks this spring, when I can get outdoors to figure out how to range with it. I did manage to get the new scope dialled in more or less. I have to get some new targ-dots to shoot for group. I'd really like to get another shooting session in this week. I'd like to see how the new bbl reacts to R-10 rifle match wadcutters.

I'm fairly well pleased with the way things are going so far.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 am 

Those are the stock rings that came with the Discovery Scope..?
I have been considering bundling this 700 pumper with the
Discovery VT-3 3-12X44 It's over 3 inches shorter than the
Discovery VT-1 3-9X40 AO you have selected here.
This may pose problems as I intend to make use of the magazine...

Do you have any plans for the stock .22 cal barrel Doc..?

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:24 pm 

Those are Burris Signature Zee rimfire 3/8" rings with the posi-align inserts. I am using the +20 riser in the rear ring.
The Discovery scope shipped with 4x4 Weaver rail rings. I think that's a temporary thing as Wes mentioned being out of rimfire rail rings.

These bbls are approximately 22.75". One of them will eventually end up on my Chaser carbine.

It looks like I am getting a repeat of the .22 cal bbl here- it's going to take 60 or 70 pellets or so to get the new bore "shot-in" :mrgreen:
Really hoping to get some serious shooting time in with it this week...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
These bbls are approximately 22.75". One of them will eventually end up on my Chaser carbine.-D.S.
That's exactly what I was thinking for my Diana Chaser carbine;
I guess I won't be talking you into selling me yours... LoL

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 pm 

Nice! Is it a Diana stormrider's barrel?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:22 pm 

GLTRV wrote:
Nice! Is it a Diana stormrider's barrel?

Not sure if it is or not. You'd have to direct this question to Wes.

Gun does take the stormrider magazines, so at least the breech is compatible...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 am 

Finally got the .177 bbl over the chrony tonight.

Performance is more than adequate- I am surprised to be getting what I am out of this pumper.

At 3 pumps, it averages 583.4 fps.

At 5 pumps, 662.4 fps.

At 8 pumps, 717.3 fps.

I know, it's still not 800 fps. From what I'm seeing here, the point of diminishing returns is still around 8 pumps for optimal purposes, and that is entirely volume related. Those are still incredibly good numbers for a pumper. I am still much impressed with this rifle.

The .177 bbl is a keeper :mrgreen:

After that short hour's chronograph session, I did some off-hand work with it at 12 meters. I was able to put 4 out of 5 into a single hole.
Scope is still a bit on the high side. I think I will get another one of the rip-stop nylon comb risers for it.

I haven't been putting the time into this that I'd like to. It seems like all I've been doing lately is working. That short session was a pleasant break for me tonight.

-D.S.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next