Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm 

I've bought my first BB gun (an Umarex M&P 40) 5 weeks ago.
I received my G19 last friday... All of this is pretty new to me. (Yeah, I bought two guns in five weeks... :mrgreen:)

I've loved the M&P 40 as soon as I handled it in my hands the first time. I'm still looking for the best way to place my hands, my fingers, etc. It's a work in progress.
I've already fired almost 1500 BBs with it. I'm getting better and better... It's a really nice gun.

Concerning the G19, it is quite the opposite.
This gun literally tortured me. The front and the rear texture of the grip hurt my hand so much, I wasn't able to hold it firmly.
The trigger guard as well hurt my fingers. And the trigger itself was like a set of blades, every edge was kinda sharp.
Everything about this pistol felt unatural and uncomfortable in my hands.
After a few magazines, all the pleasure was definitely gone.

I asked myself why a so popular gun could be so painful to hold?
So I made a few searchs on Google and I've discovered that so many people are complaining about it. (The texture damages not only the hands but also the clothes...)
A lot of grips enhancers exist : Talon Grip, Decal Grip, Foxx Grip,...
But you have to take off the back of the grip to load the C02 cartridge... and they are quite expensive.
Then, I found posts and videos about people stippling, Dremeling and sanding it...

So, I've decided to do some careful Dremeling and sanding. (I had nothing to loose, I mean... I hated the gun...)
I removed all the front and back texture. I made a undercut on the trigger, I can now have a higher grip and my fingers fit perfectly in the grooves (which I have enlarged a bit).
I sanded the edges of the trigger and the trigger itself. All this process took me a lot of time and patience. I did it in three sessions with shooting tests between them.
And now, it's just "waow"... really. Visually, it's not perfect and the sanded parts are lighter, but I don't care because now I can shoot one hour straight and have a lot of fun, it's like a new gun, it fits perfectly in my hands.

Other CON'S :

1) The second safety (top of the trigger) engages accidentally every 5-6 shots (I'm right handed). Very annoying... It's useless, it's a dual action only pistol, the trigger is long and pretty hard to push. It's impossible to fire the gun by accident.
    2) I miss the blowback feel. I think it's gonna be my first and last non blowback pistol.

The PRO's about this gun :

1) The magazine is so easy to reload (comparing with the M&P 40 whis is unbelievably hard).
    2) The cartridge installation is very easy too (easier than the M&P 40 because you don't have to take off the holding screw completely).
    3) The gun is very powerful. I use a collapsible pellet trap (Crosman) as target and there are 3 layers of curtains inside. The 1st layer (the thin red one) was intact after shooting 1500 BBs with the M&P 40. After shooting 10 magazine with the G19 it was completly shattered and some BBs even went throught the second layer.
    4) I love the sights. I like the "U" thing.
    5) It's cheap (89$ CAD).
    6) You can shoot more than 5 magazines with a CO2 cartridge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 pm 

Sounds like they got crude injection molding, that they don't bother de burring it.. A real Glock isn't like that. And most of my grips are aggressive skate board tape.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am 

It is one of my favorite guns, and for the reasons you mentioned in your original post, but I find the grip too small - depends all on the shooters hand so it's subjective. I never noticed that the grip texture was a problem, but maybe I have thicker skin on my hands :)

Wait for the Glock 17 Blowback...it might fair better in your case.

vertiges wrote:
I've bought my first BB gun (an Umarex M&P 40) 5 weeks ago.
I received my G19 last friday... All of this is pretty new to me. (Yeah, I bought two guns in five weeks... :mrgreen:)

I've loved the M&P 40 as soon as I handled it in my hands the first time. I'm still looking for the best way to place my hands, my fingers, etc. It's a work in progress.
I've already fired almost 1500 BBs with it. I'm getting better and better... It's a really nice gun.

Concerning the G19, it is quite the opposite.
This gun literally tortured me. The front and the rear texture of the grip hurt my hand so much, I wasn't able to hold it firmly.
The trigger guard as well hurt my fingers. And the trigger itself was like a set of blades, every edge was kinda sharp.
Everything about this pistol felt unatural and uncomfortable in my hands.
After a few magazines, all the pleasure was definitely gone.

I asked myself why a so popular gun could be so painful to hold?
So I made a few searchs on Google and I've discovered that so many people are complaining about it. (The texture damages not only the hands but also the clothes...)
A lot of grips enhancers exist : Talon Grip, Decal Grip, Foxx Grip,...
But you have to take off the back of the grip to load the C02 cartridge... and they are quite expensive.
Then, I found posts and videos about people stippling, Dremeling and sanding it...

So, I've decided to do some careful Dremeling and sanding. (I had nothing to loose, I mean... I hated the gun...)
I removed all the front and back texture. I made a undercut on the trigger, I can now have a higher grip and my fingers fit perfectly in the grooves (which I have enlarged a bit).
I sanded the edges of the trigger and the trigger itself. All this process took me a lot of time and patience. I did it in three sessions with shooting tests between them.
And now, it's just "waow"... really. Visually, it's not perfect and the sanded parts are lighter, but I don't care because now I can shoot one hour straight and have a lot of fun, it's like a new gun, it fits perfectly in my hands.

Other CON'S :

1) The second safety (top of the trigger) engages accidentally every 5-6 shots (I'm right handed). Very annoying... It's useless, it's a dual action only pistol, the trigger is long and pretty hard to push. It's impossible to fire the gun by accident.
    2) I miss the blowback feel. I think it's gonna be my first and last non blowback pistol.

The PRO's about this gun :

1) The magazine is so easy to reload (comparing with the M&P 40 whis is unbelievably hard).
    2) The cartridge installation is very easy too (easier than the M&P 40 because you don't have to take off the holding screw completely).
    3) The gun is very powerful. I use a collapsible pellet trap (Crosman) as target and there are 3 layers of curtains inside. The 1st layer (the thin red one) was intact after shooting 1500 BBs with the M&P 40. After shooting 10 magazine with the G19 it was completly shattered and some BBs even went throught the second layer.
    4) I love the sights. I like the "U" thing.
    5) It's cheap (89$ CAD).
    6) You can shoot more than 5 magazines with a CO2 cartridge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm 

leadslinger, I don't know if it's related to a non-perfect crude injection molding. I haven't had the chance to hold a real Glock. I wonder... I had to Dremel / sand a lot to get rid of the pain.
Maybe my skin is too thin... I read in the forums some people say they prefer harden their skins by practicing a lot instead of sanding off the texture of the grip.
When you look at the palms of the hands of professional shooters, you can easily see it.

I agree BBken, that depends on the shooter hands (shape, size,...) and it's totally subjective.
Real pistols come usually with differents sets of grips, that helps. Concerning BBs gun, the only one I know of is the M&P 40.
It depends of what you do for living... if you are a construction worker for example, you don't have the hands as sensitive as a musician.

I don't think I will buy the G17 blowback version... knowing I will have to Dremel/sand it too.
So many others to buy before :mrgreen:
I'm tempted by the M92 A1. But, I've already bought two in five weeks... I'm gonna be reasonable :wink: By that, I mean I want at least fire 6000 BBs before the next one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:04 pm 

I looked at mine...can you post a picture? Unless you already have it all Dremelled out already.

There is an option perhaps if you can wrap the grip in some material that is better suited for you...but then again that takes away the look of the gun.

I think the Glock 17 will be the same - having a further look at it, unfortunately so. It's a nice looking replica to say the least, and I think it's one of the nicer replicas out there.

Don't worry about purchasing 2 guns in 5 weeks....I bought 6 in a month + 1week, and still counting :drinkers: :)