Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Airgun Range
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:14 pm 

I found an airgun range that is open a few weeks a year.
Was wondering if anyone would be ready to join me there. It's in the Bois-Franc region, close to Victoriaville. About an 1h30 from Mtl and an hour from Quebec city
They only accept pellet guns that are demmed not to be firearms for the law (so basically, under 500fps), no airsoft, paintball, steel BB's, no steel targets either.
Only paper, cardboard and styrofoam targets.

Only 25$ for a yearly membership.

So? Who's interested?

http://tir-air-plessis.blogspot.com/ Sorry the page is in french only

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

Post subject: Re: Airgun Range
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:14 pm 

....Looks like a nice range ( I used to shoot in French,lol ) ....There's a range in Campbell River B.C. ( about an hour away ) ...It's year round but about $100.00 a year plus key costs for the gate ....It's a full-on long range shooting club, to 600yds that has an indoor airgun/small bore facility.....Some day I'll check it out with my grandson, some day ......Ranges are sure scarce, aren't they ? ....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:30 pm 

thumper wrote:
....Looks like a nice range ( I used to shoot in French,lol ) ....There's a range in Campbell River B.C. ( about an hour away ) ...It's year round but about $100.00 a year plus key costs for the gate ....It's a full-on long range shooting club, to 600yds that has an indoor airgun/small bore facility.....Some day I'll check it out with my grandson, some day ......Ranges are sure scarce, aren't they ? ....

Man I'd love that! I'd pay a 100$ a year any day for any kind of indoor range that's not 2hours away.
I don't understand how I cannot contact them. How do they plan on getting more members if they cannot be reached? I mean word of mouth is great and all but I've seen better ways to recruit new members...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 pm 

....Maybe it's "private" ......just a group of friends, and built on somebodies property so they don't have to comply with zoning and regs .....?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 pm 

thumper wrote:
....Maybe it's "private" ......just a group of friends, and built on somebodies property so they don't have to comply with zoning and regs .....?

It's in a trade school basement of all places!
I'll be going on the 16 of december if anyone is interested. They have a guest fee of 10$ if you don't wish to pay 25$ for the whole year.
I'm getting giddy, I can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm 

I'm surprised that air gun range is only open a few weeks a year, Doc - is the range in the Eastern Townships? My wife and I traveled through there last summer - had a GREAT time.

I attempted to get onto this forum-site to perhaps get some addresses and meet some of your guys, however my phone blocked this site - but not others. Interesting.

Our range is $135.00 per year for single - full 12 month year from joining date. $145.00 for families (I think) - all children included, under the age of 18. After 18 to 26yrs. old, same rate full membership and price as seniors - $60.00 per year.

At the range on the edge of town - called the Hartman Road Range:

We have covered outdoor .22 RF range to 100 meters, all marked off for RF silhouette, with steel swingers at the normal 44, 64, 74 (84?) and 100 metres - I think those ranges are correct.

We also have CF rifle, moveable target stand from 20 to 60meters, then, 100meters, 200yards and 200 metres with AR500 steel swinger at 105meters.
Beside the covered rifle range, we have a covered handgun range with 2 bays just about 20 yards long, each, with multiple moveable target holders from 5 to 25 meter shooting.
Beside that long handgun shooting shed, we have 3 cowboy action bays. Carrying on further and angling up to the club house, we have 4 trap houses, trap section shed, then the club house.
Inside the club house, we have air gun shooting only now as the exhaust fans are not up to standards now, for CF or RF handgun shooting. We used to shoot evenings CF handgun.
Now, air gun Sunday afternoon, Wednesday evening and Friday evenings.
Below the trap range we have our black powder section heated (wood) clubhouse and a 55 target trail-walk through the bush. Targets range from cards on edge, string cuts, to paper, eggs filled with flour and all manner of steel gong targets, ranges from about 15 yards for card splits and string cuts, to 109yards on some of the steel targets and all ranges in between. This is for black powder and round balls only. No RF or CF shooting at all.
We also shot BP trap in the field in front of the club house.

Out the Black Water range: We have a covered shooting shed that is 92' of concrete floor and 96' of roof, some 30' deep. There are a number of wooden benches set up for bench shooting, as well
as permanent, but removable steel and concrete benches for serious bench rest shooting out to 1,400 meters now. We also have IPSC and IDPA action bays and contests there. We have set up a black powder range as well, but it needs work. Our camp ground for the BP section is about a square KM and we have laid out 4 complete shooting ranges through the bush there. Smooth bore with patched round balls, handgun, rifle (any calibre) and squirrel rifle (.40 and smaller calibres). The camping area also has lots of room for a trap shoot and cannon shooting as needed.

Prince George Rod and Gun Club has been in operation since formed, in 1946. There has NEVER been a shooting accident at the range. We currently have just over 1,350 members, I think, at last count.
Since 1979, I have been a member, past president and continuously, a Director. I (& all directors if they want) have a key to the clubhouse, which comes in handy for testing air rifles and not my new handgun.

An electronic card is needed to gain access to either range.

Third picture is shooting over a 'chunk' in the field in front of the club house(to the left, in the bush)Hartman Road Black Powder range

Second picture is shooting trap out at the Black Water, Black Powder Range

First picture is one of the gals shooting her .50 cal. flintlock rifle at the Hartman Road Black Powder Range on the trail walk,

Attachments:
P7242209.jpg
P7242209.jpg [ 150.6 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
P8072228.jpg
P8072228.jpg [ 41.86 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
P7281412.jpg
P7281412.jpg [ 64.89 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

That's one very nice range!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 pm 

Sorry for the Hijack,

But I must tell..
Never have I seen such a Fun course like the one out at Blackwater Range!
I would be out every weekend if there was an airgun course as cool as that one!

Such creative targets setup in the woods!
Timer using tubing wrapped around trees (Muzzle Loaders LOL)
Running lines for moving targets between trees.... That one was too cool!
Steel Gongs waaaay out in the bush....
Deck of Cards / chalk on a boards... plus many more!
These were only few that I could remember off the top of my head.

It was such a pleasant surprise to bump into that event last year while up in PG for a match.
Everyone was so friendly and generous. Got more than one chance to Wham! (not plink) at a target.
Glad and thankful for such a warm welcome.

MM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 pm 

Ahh- I kinda remember- you were up for the silhouette match.
I camped in the primitive section.

Attachments:
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG [ 99.79 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:20 pm 

A few years ago I belonged to a great range in Cumberland, B.C. ..... It was rural and very rustic with facilities for rifle, pistol and black powder....There was a nice clubhouse as well ....Every year they hosted a fantastic "rendezvous" with vehicles kept nowhere near the site , so you really traveled back in time, so to speak.....We had a 'Seneca run' type target trail (black powder) that was posted in dozens of places, but even with the abundance of dedicated hiking/biking trails all around, we couldn't keep the idiots off that trail.....Then, they'd go into hysterics when they found a 'shooter' using the trail for it's intended purpose.....Needless to say, it's all gone now ....It was such a relaxing and friendly place, a real down home feel to it................When you carve out a target trail through the bush, you should have a mean vicious guard dog at each end of it ! ....Hikers are akin to skiers that go 'out of bounds'....no amount of signage will deter them from any 'trail' they see .....'nuff said...