Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

Here's the CO2 test from last night. I shot 4, 10 shot groups with the 19.09 Barracuda Hunter HP's using some of the air
in the compressed air tank. Unfortunately, I disposed of the target. Suffice to say, they all ran roughly .3" to .6", so likely
.5" average for the 10 shot groups.
I switched the tank over to CO2, by unscrewing the tank 1 full turn, then firing off the shot on the gun-side of the tank
then unscrewed the compressed air tank.
I then screwed in the CO2 tank and fired a few non-pellet shots. The sound was softer than with compressed air and I thought
they would be under powered. It was only 55-60F in the club-house and I figured that might effect the CO2 pressure.
I put up new targets and started shooting. Here is the result & I am missing 2 of the targets. Suffice to say, these 18 groups
are likely fairly representative. I should note here, that the pellets used in these groups (marked either HP or Piranha) do not shoot
this well with compressed air in this rifle. I don't even use them due to their inaccuracy. Note, these groups are about duplicated
with the Barracua Hp's, H&N 21.3 Match and the RWS Super Dome 14.5's, all much more expensive than the Crossmans. I was
quite delighted to see how well the Crossman's shot.
To say I was happy overall, is an understatement. The trigger job I did worked very well, too.

These two targets were shot with Crossman Premier 14.3gr. HP's as well as Premier Piranha 14.3gr. pellets.
Range was 20 yards & shot indoors. Note I had to be quite careful to hold the rifle exactly the same each
time and did experience the odd flyer if I put too much cheek pressure on the comb, or pushed or pulled with the trigger hand
to align the sights. Consistency, though art a jewel. Scope used was the Leapers, Accushot 3-12X 30mm 1/2 mil dot glass etched reticle
from D&L Air Guns - set at 12X.

I should note here that the impact on the steel plates behind the donna conna target boards rang about exactly the same as when shooting
compressed air, so they 'sounded' like about the same power as compressed air.

Attachments:
Gauntlet CO2 2 (2).JPG
Gauntlet CO2 2 (2).JPG [ 41.03 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]
Gauntlet CO2 2 (1).JPG
Gauntlet CO2 2 (1).JPG [ 51.49 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm 

Very nice!

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:47 am 

Thx for posting that Daryl.
Even after watching Travis use the Co2 bottle on his Gauntlet, it didn't even dawn on me to try mine. Or for that matter put my 850 back onto Co2. I pretty well was on a mission to get both rifles on HPA. And had tunnel vision getting my pump and pumping station all plumbed up. To think back on the time and monies spent...I guys got to wonder how many Co2 fill I would have got... :mrgreen:
Yes shot count is very high say for a 12oz bottle but at a sacrifice of FPS for sure.
I'll have to dig out my chrony and record some numbers again.
We're shooting 30m out doors and have no problem keeping up with the power burners .22.
I had a thought on the flyers we are getting. I do notice a couple of pellet skirts a bit out of round. Loaded them anyway, kept track and sure enough those were flyers!!!
Anyway good to see you can shoot for the winter indoors.
Stay warm and keep posting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:46 pm 

Couple of the long-time air rifle shooters were amazed this rifle could be changed back and forth, pcp to co2.

I guess it is rather a good selling point!~ In the summer, a guy wouldn't even have to carry 'extra' compressed air

for shooting gophers. An extra 12 oz. CO2tank (+ tin of pellets) in the backpack with your lunch should work just fine.

The fellow doing the test did note the rifle ran 700fps with 18.2gr. pellets. That's almost 20fpe on CO2.

Krikey that's bloomin' amazing!