Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:35 pm 

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a modestly priced scope that would stand up to the battering of a magnum springer. I know the maxim "you get what you pay for" is often proven true, but am curious what the best scope options might be for someone on a budget.

One thing I will add is that a good fixed magnification scope would be an option. It seems like these should be much more durable since they have few moving parts (focusing aside) as well as being cheaper, so the trade-off may be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

Well this suggestion will probably not be too popular but I have had a Stoeger 3-9x40 A0 on my Nitro Venom for 4 years now and its still going strong..so I bought another for when I pick up a PCP...They are only $70.00 at Cabelas....maybe I just got lucky....or maybe they're just built right for springers..I don't know....https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29065/st ... ifle-scope

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 pm 

The price of this scope is very good!

But the reviews looks bad...

However I had a hard time to zero a scope on a springer especially those magnum powered which I have no experience on...

While working on my HW30, I always not sure I hit the bullseye due to I did zero the scope well or just by accident... And maybe you zeroed it well for a rest pose, then do you need to adjust it when you shoot standing?!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 pm 

YepYep wrote:
The price of this scope is very good!

But the reviews looks bad...

However I had a hard time to zero a scope on a springer especially those magnum powered which I have no experience on...

While working on my HW30, I always not sure I hit the bullseye due to I did zero the scope well or just by accident... And maybe you zeroed it well for a rest pose, then do you need to adjust it when you shoot standing?!

The problem with scope reviews is the problem may NOT be the scope....but everything else...newbies may not even think of bad barrel bushings...a weak lockup...bad technique...even a slight breeze that changes direction..if the shot is off target....play with the scope....even though it wasn't the scope to begin with....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:47 pm 

Had bad luck with all scopes on Diana 350. Peep sights worked the best for distances I shot. Ruger Airhawk I tired some off brand from local gun store. Ravage I believe 3x9x40. Using .177 JSB Jumbo Heavies to slow the gun, scope lasting okay.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm 

Yeah! Springers just something different from others ~

I doubted / blamed my scope before too ~ but then I noticed I just made the minor 2, 3 clicks adjustments BACK and FORTH... 3 clicks to the left then the other day (I changed a place to shoot), 3 clicks to the right....

And then, I keep on using the same place, same pose to shoot for some time, and never need to adjust the scope again....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:10 am 

So, is there anyone who would like to address the OP's question?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 am 

Ravage 3x9x40 mildot. Not the best optics, fine to 40yds. Lasted on Diana 350 .22, recently moved it to full power Airhawke.
Had no luck with RWS 3X12X50, something broke loose inside. Neighbour had good luck with 3x9x40 Brasco on Airhawke, doesn't have great optics either, cheap price also.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:42 am 

Will add that RWS scope broke before I tore gun down and tuned it better. That may have allowed for the better results with the Ravage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:04 am 

I've got the Discovery 3-9x40 that is springer rated for $85, and the Discovery HD 10x44 fixed power, https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-h ... 30mm-tube/
for side focus option and 30mm tube, that is also springer rated.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/hunting-rif ... t-reticle/

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:17 am 

I think it would help to know which magnum springer you wish to scope. Some of the Diana magnum line break "springer" rated scopes with apparent ease. Much so that Hawke developed a line, the airmax, with Diana magnum springers in mind. I saw an interview with the owner of Hawke introducing the new line. His frustration with Diana magnum springers was clearly evident.

Last edited by jckstrthmghty on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 am 

Neighbor cut his eye not using enough eye relief on my Diana 350. Still kicks a lot even after tuning. That's why I switched to the heaviest pellets it would group well.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I think it would help to know which magnum springer you wish to scope. Some of the Diana magnum line break "springer" rated scopes with apparent ease. Much so that Hawke developed a line, the airmax, with Diana magnum springers in mind. I saw an interview with the owner of Hawke introducing the new line. His frustration with Diana magnum springers was clearly evident.

It is a xisico xs28m (Bam 28) - a Diana 350 clone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:48 pm 

Next one I buy will be from Wesb2007. Just be carefull, your gun is probably already 10lbs. Add a scope, it's 12lbs and not much fun unless you are stationary. Carried mine around in farmers field around his ponds, was fine to start with, pain in the buttock several hours later. Owning a Diana 350, I would suggest you start with one of the heaviest pellets and work your way lighter. Starting light and working the other way is frustrating. Always thought it was the scope, by the time I switched to heavy, was ready to give up, then the scope started rattling and wouldn't focus properly. I'm 3 cheap scopes in, (not so cheap), use link in above post for "airgunarchery". I'm about $400 in with scopes and peep and still don't have something I'm truly happy with, just something that isn't broken and holds target. All my other guns will shoot anything, my 350 won't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 pm 

dyslexic_nam wrote:
Hello all. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a modestly priced scope that would stand up to the battering of a magnum springer. I know the maxim "you get what you pay for" is often proven true, but am curious what the best scope options might be for someone on a budget.

One thing I will add is that a good fixed magnification scope would be an option. It seems like these should be much more durable since they have few moving parts (focusing aside) as well as being cheaper, so the trade-off may be worth it.

If $250.00 is not moderately priced, then no, I can't, sorry.

Had a Bug Buster 3-9 that jammed up in the power ring as it was on a magnum .22 Springer from China - the Diana 34 Clone.

This was a $150.00 scope. The store, D&L replaced the scope, but I did not put it back on the springer. I gave the springer away.