Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:00 pm 

So the Umarex Gauntlet is a dual fuel CO2 and PCP rifle, and so is the Benjamin Discovery. The Discovery predates the Gauntlet and very few ppl posted about shooting it with CO2 since air is considered faster and cheaper. Now I sense there may be a resurgence in favor of CO2. Converting CO2 rifles like QB78 series, Umarex SX60C to HPA is very popular, but what about going the other way?
What makes a rife dual fuel capable? Can you just run CO2 in any unregulated PCP?

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:07 pm 

The Disco can take CO2 but it's much weaker since the psi is less, so it's not popular. My guess if the gun is meant to use above 2kpsi in pcp, then it would be much worse in CO2, even more so for you folks in Canada where the psi is less.
Here's something I've often wondered, and maybe rsterne can chine in: If CO2 is used in a gun with a horizontal tank and valve assy, then would it not be blowing liquid out most of the time? Seems to me that in order to effective the tank would need to be lower so the liquid stays down there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:40 pm 

Chevota- I had those wondering's myself, concerning the horizontal tank. However, the tank on CO2 match rifles and pistols is horizontal, as in my HWB M2. Then, when trying CO2 in a BT65 Hatsan .177, Walter suggested only 1/2 tank, horizontal fill. That worked - no liquid.

When I tested my Gauntlet last Wed. evening, I used a full CO2 tank. I expected to see liquid CO2, as that happened with a CO2 conversion on a Talon (set for high power), but there was no liquid from the Gauntlet. The first 5 shots I fired, all even into a single 1/4" diameter hole - no liquid. I was surprised. When I reduced the hammer spring on the Talon, it stopped spewing liquid.

My Gauntlet says the regulator is set for 1,000psi or 1,100psi. I think if the CO2 was running at around 1,000psi due to temp, the speed would be similar, would it not? If cooler & lower temp, lower speed.

The indoor range was only 63F, so likely not quite as fast as compressed air. However, the clanging on the steel plates in the range's baffle box sounded very similar. It was quieter, thus, likely slower but how much? not known, I did not set up my chronograph.

Air Force Condor .25
Umarex Gauntlet .22
Air Force Talon .177
HW97 KT .177
HW98 .22
Brocock Concept .22
Artemis PP700S-A Reg. .22
Artemis PP800 Rebel Reg. .22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:29 pm 

Daryl wrote:
My Gauntlet says the regulator is set for 1,000psi or 1,100psi. I think if the CO2 was running at around 1,000psi due to temp, the speed would be similar, would it not? If cooler & lower temp, lower speed.

If your regulator is working, I wouldn't think you could get any shots on CO2 unless it was really warm indoor shooting. I have a big CO2 cylinder at work and it registers 850 psi at room temperature (73F).To get over 1000 psi I believe the charts say more than 80F, maybe 85F, and 1100F is over 90F. But this still leaves my question open since you were able to shoot well with a regulated rifle at least 1000 psi on CO2 in winter.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:11 pm 

attached pix is fyi to anyone interested

Daryl; maybe on the lower setting there wasn't enough liquid to see?
The way I see it is it must be venting liquid, even if only a little, and liquid doesn't flow as well so it can't be better. And of course dumping liq is wasteful so if I used it I rekon I'd work onna fix. I don't think about it too much b/c I don't use it except a 20lb tank for welding and as portable air to run tools, fill tires and what not. Actually I have a 40lb too, which I only use to fill smaller tanks, like my old CF tank since it's expired, and a little baby tank to take off roading.
I suppose a big tank w/ a small flexible line to the gun would be sweet for benchrest. That way the gun is always gas only, and of course you could shoot for days :)

Attachments:
CO2 pressure chart.jpg
CO2 pressure chart.jpg [ 67.16 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]