Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Find it comical.....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm 

when people show target pictures and say look how good my gun groups and the pellets are off the 12 ring. A miss is a miss and irritates me when I miss. Perhaps I am to hard on myself. I expect a 12 ring every shot and nothing other is acceptable. Quarter inch miss and I am repainting my knockdown targets quite often. :lol:

What are other peoples thought on this? Perhaps people should say freehand, bench shooting or tripod?

Post subject: Re: Find it comical.....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:45 pm 

^^^^^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 pm 

Getting the gun to group tightly is an important, often first, step; if it won't group there is no point trying to zero the scope or sights. If it does group, then it is mostly a matter of adjusting the sights/scope so you group around the bullseye. After that, then its up to the shooter to hit the bull every shot, and if it doesn't happen you know it's the shooter and not the gun. People, myself included, who post groups that are not perfectly on the POA are probably just showing their accomplishments at either tuning or acquiring a good gun. 'Aint nuttin' rong wid dat.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:47 am 

If you never miss you are not challenging yourself enough. If you never miss give 10m Olympic air pistol a try. Personally I'm happy when I hit 10 anything with 10m air rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:26 am 

After I zeroed my gun, I usually shoot all over the target until it's 'all done' ...

Replacing the target just after finish a hole on the bullseye looks a bit too waste ~ [emoji38]

And a good shot IMO means the pellet lands on where you want it to. So putting a smiling face on the target is a good try for everyone ~ :)

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:55 am 

Yep, I get a chance to shoot so seldom at longer range that I usually am checking different pellets for what is accurate and trying a new gun, so my scope may be sighted in for a different pellet than the one that actually gives the best group. I'm like Yep yep as well, I use up the whole target and keep picking new points to shoot at =)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:40 am 

WOW. I go through about 150 sheets of card stock a month. Some targets have 42 - I inch rings per sheet. Once the centre is punched once on to next target. Good thing I found a good source for cheap laser printer carts. Often wonder what my recycle truck driver thinks every week. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm 

That's awesome! You must be a real sharpshooter!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
That's awesome! You must be a real sharpshooter!

No on sharp shooter, but do shoot on and off at least two or 3 times daily. Does not take much to hit 1/4 inch dot at 28 feet rested. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Getting the gun to group tightly is an important, often first, step; if it won't group there is no point trying to zero the scope or sights. If it does group, then it is mostly a matter of adjusting the sights/scope so you group around the bullseye. After that, then its up to the shooter to hit the bull every shot, and if it doesn't happen you know it's the shooter and not the gun. People, myself included, who post groups that are not perfectly on the POA are probably just showing their accomplishments at either tuning or acquiring a good gun. 'Aint nuttin' rong wid dat.

:!: THIS :!: :prayer: :supz:
I don't really care about bragging rights. You're a good shot? Well good for you.
What I wanna know is what the gun can do, especially if I own one like it and how can get it to shoot tight groups like that! or what am I doing wrong?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 am 

In the running world, personal best is openly celebrated and shared. Ex. someone posts pictures of them crossing the finish line of a marathon with a PB time of 4.5 hours, even though the winner finished over 2 hours ago. That is never an irritation. Is the target shooting world so different?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:56 am 

I'm super hard on myself. I shot silhouette targets for years. Fig 11s, IPSC/IDPA, B27s. Fairly big bulls. But I shoot 1 or 2 rounds as fast as I can. But you think taking my time I can pull a 1/4-1/2" group? HA. I never can group w/o a flier. I wonder if it has to do with minor ADHD. I find focusing on a bulleye target near impossible.

There are days, I say I shot like crap. But come out first or 2nd... Guess someday people have worst days than me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:39 pm 

If I'm within 1/8" of the bull in off-hand rifle at 12 M, I'm doing really good. The bulls I like are tiny, with the entire target being the diameter of a dime.

After going almost a month without shooting, I can still nail the pull ring tab rivet on a 12 oz. soda can at 12 M. Might be the first shot, might be the third. All are close enough for one shot kills at the ranges I normally air-gun hunt at.

I have days where I couldn't hit the bull, even if I tried off the bench...
Still small game season right now. I try to avoid the bench as much as possible, unless I have to zero a new pellet.
Still don't get the practice in that I would like to, and probably won't until I retire...

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:42 pm 

Pokerdogg wrote:
In the running world, personal best is openly celebrated and shared. Ex. someone posts pictures of them crossing the finish line of a marathon with a PB time of 4.5 hours, even though the winner finished over 2 hours ago. That is never an irritation. Is the target shooting world so different?

Effort matters. There are plenty of people celebrating their +4 hour marathon time with little training saying how hard it was. No kidding. I'm not impressed and you should have done better. The dedicated athlete working years to pb their time regardless of what that is is something to be proud of. Hats off to you.

Same in shooting. Someone buying a competitive pcb and one hole grouped off a bench at 10 yards. How impressive :/ . On the other hand the guy working with an economy springer for months or years proudly displaying his 1/4" group. Good work. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

...My grandson is getting less nervous holding my targets at arms length for me ......He's a good boy.....We may try 20yds.....Some day I'll let him shoot.......................but not any time soon,eh .............