Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 am 

Hello,

According to my city's firearm discharge bylaw (I know a sub 500fps is not a firearm by law unless used in a crime, but air guns are in the bylaw definition) I am in the rural area of town where discharge is permitted and part of my property meets the distance from a dwelling (house) requirement as well, so I want to build a small private range there.

What I am thinking of looks something like this:

it's basically a standard size plywood board, and then stuff in the middle, and a second plywood board at the back. It would be supported by 2 4x4's (one for each side of course).

There may be a small roof, and I may add small sides as well.

The real thing I am looking for advice on though, is what material should I fill the inside between the two boards with?

I am thinking hard or soft foam, old insulation, old blankets, maybe two 1 inch thick boards of plywood back to back? or maybe something else?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:28 am 

What FPE airguns are you planning on shooting at it. And do you want to stop w/o any ricochets?

Personally I wouldn't consider insulation. Since you would need alot. In order to even slow down a pellet.

I would do the thinnest layer of plywood or paneling. You can get for the front. Those foam rubber click boards ( dollar store ) 2/3 layers. So insures the pellet will go thru the plywood or backing and thru the foam. W/o any chances of it coming back. Instead of 2" of plywood. Goto a reno place. Find repurposed 2x4's. Normally a dollar each. Considering to make 2" of plywood would be couple or few hundred dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 am 

I'm not planning on shooting anything over 500fps, as then they would legally be considered firearms, and I'd need a berm and get it CFO approved, etc, etc. I don't have that kind of space or money.

So thin plywood at the front, then a couple layers of click board, then normal plywood at the back, you say?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 am 

Twiggy wrote:
I'm not planning on shooting anything over 500fps, as then they would legally be considered firearms, and I'd need a berm and get it CFO approved, etc, etc. I don't have that kind of space or money.

So thin plywood at the front, then a couple layers of click board, then normal plywood at the back, you say?

I wouldn't worry about that too much. By law you cannot even discharge a over 500 FPS airgun other then the range here. No matter how much property you have. Has to do with Wildlife protection or habitat. So just do it safe. Personally I just use a 22LR rimfire trap, with some duct seal. That I only paid 50$ for on sale. Biggest issue would just be noise.

I got neighbors left and right of me. But nothing behind.. So I try and be considerate and not use too loud of airguns.

But if you're just using sub 500 FPS. Since it be outdoors. Cardboard would get wet. I would just go with corrugated plastic for the front ( old election signs ) Because pellet might not penetrate even the thinnest sheet of plywood you can get. Esp if you shoot at a longer distance or use wadcutters.

So couple layers of that foam rubber mats. And 2x4 backing should be enough. Plus easy to replace.

You don't want to make it solid. Because it would bounce or stick pellets in the backing.. Click board is pretty hard. I would use something softer for the center. And like I said I would use repurposed 2x4s since you could get it cheaper than a sheet of plywood. And you can replace the boards easier then a sheet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 pm 

Good thing I don't shoot over 500FPS in my house. No room for a berm. :lol: How about steel on the back and a set of doors on the front, close the sides and have a shooting station with lots of self contained pellet traps?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm 

After speaking to the old man (I'm 23) he informed me that it's not really possible to build a permanent structure outdoors right now due to the temperature and needing someone to come with special tools to drill holes in the ground under the frost line, etc to put the 4x4 beams in.

So for now I will indeed be shooting inside, until spring. I am just going to build myself a basic pellet trap that's about twice the length of one you can buy. It'll be made of wood, and the bottom of cardboard, but from what I've seen on YouTube, plywood or OSB board is all that's needed, and the bottom isn't all that important material wise.

wheeliehd sure has a nice indoor setup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am 

Twiggy wrote:
After speaking to the old man (I'm 23) he informed me that it's not really possible to build a permanent structure outdoors right now due to the temperature and needing someone to come with special tools to drill holes in the ground under the frost line, etc to put the 4x4 beams in.

So for now I will indeed be shooting inside, until spring. I am just going to build myself a basic pellet trap that's about twice the length of one you can buy. It'll be made of wood, and the bottom of cardboard, but from what I've seen on YouTube, plywood or OSB board is all that's needed, and the bottom isn't all that important material wise.

Just if you see one of those 22 rimfire traps on sale. Pick one up... I got mine for 50$ on clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Twiggy wrote:

Just if you see one of those 22 rimfire traps on sale. Pick one up... I got mine for 50$ on clearance.

i would, but they are a little small for my liking. The one I am going to be building tomorrow will be twice as wide, probably a little more than that. being it'll be 27 inches wide.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am 

Good idea on 22 rimfire traps. Almost every pellet trap I own I had to reinforce with heavy metal in the hitting area. My big duct seal trap take regular size computer paper targets with room to spare. I glue targets onto cardboard and 4 metal clips to hold cardboard. Target needs replaced I just glue another target on top of shot out target. Duct seal was about $60. Been their for over two years shooting it every day. I collect election plastic signs and cut a little bigger than inside of box so it locks in the duct seal. Only one I shoot with high power. Cleaning I use a paint scraper to get pellets out of the top layer and sometimes dig a little to get some clumps of pellets out then add some duct seal if needed to main hit areas, then new corrugated plastic in front. Clean about three times a year with shooting 500 pellets weekly at least. Best trap I own and very versatile. Made from 2x6 and cut a furnace door to size screwed to the back.

Pellet trap is the second largest one in picture. Largest one is for archery.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:19 am 

leadslinger wrote:
What FPE airguns are you planning on shooting at it. And do you want to stop w/o any ricochets?

Personally I wouldn't consider insulation. Since you would need alot. In order to even slow down a pellet.

I would do the thinnest layer of freelance SEO paris plywood or paneling. You can get for the front. Those foam rubber click boards ( dollar store ) 2/3 layers. So insures the pellet will go thru the plywood or backing and thru the foam. W/o any chances of it coming back. Instead of 2" of plywood. Goto a reno place. Find repurposed 2x4's. Normally a dollar each. Considering to make 2" of plywood would be couple or few hundred dollars.

I’m a new member here and I think that this site is a very good one because there are many different subjects and various tips!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 am 

You could build a free standing frame from 2x4's and use a stall mat as the backing. They are pretty dense.

https://www.tscstores.com/3-X-4-RED-BAR ... 36695.aspx

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 am 

davidr010 wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I would do the thinnest layer of [url=h ttp://www.onlinedev.com/]freelance SEO paris[/url] plywood or paneling. You can get for the front. Those foam rubber click boards ( dollar store ) 2/3 layers. So insures the pellet will go thru the plywood or backing and thru the foam. W/o any chances of it coming back. Instead of 2" of plywood. Goto a reno place. Find repurposed 2x4's. Normally a dollar each. Considering to make 2" of plywood would be couple or few hundred dollars.

I’m a new member here and I think that this site is a very good one because there are many different subjects and various tips!
Thanks!

Davidr010 is a spammer. Placing links in a quoted text.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:28 pm 

the best is to make a 4x4 foot box from 2x4s 8" deep cover the back with lumber wrap and the front with a burlap coffee bag cut in half fill with plastic bags .I use plastic from the job site because I am cheap.Now you have a great arrow and pellet trap. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 am 

If shooting sub 500fps gun, you could just build a stand like what the cadet use
You'll need
- A piece of plywood for the back
- some wood to make the front/target holder (a piece of corrugated plastic sheet)
- Some old fabric to hang loose behind the corrugated plastic sheet

Depending on how much you shoot
- replace the facing/fabric as needed

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 am 

sillymike wrote:
If shooting sub 500fps gun, you could just build a stand like what the cadet use
You'll need
- A piece of plywood for the back
- some wood to make the front/target holder (a piece of corrugated plastic sheet)
- Some old fabric to hang loose behind the corrugated plastic sheet

Depending on how much you shoot
- replace the facing/fabric as needed

Well also most of those are designed for wadcutters only.