Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 pm 

what i need to do is braze a brass fitting onto an empty co2 powerlet... can i braze brass to steel succesfully? anyone know if it would be strong enough under the pressure of co2? see, i went to canadian tire and picked up some brazing fuel and some rod. on the rod package it says it bonds ferrous metals... no mention of non ferrous... but then again, the brazing rod is non ferrous... :roll: will i just melt the fitting???
help!! please!! :lol:

al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:37 pm 

Its pretty difficult to do what you're trying to do. If you apply too much heat, your'e going to melt the fitting, not enough and you will get a weak joint.. Its sort of like welding aluminum with a torch, very hard to do. I would practice a lot before you attempt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:52 pm 
Supporting Member 2013

it should work. it works fine on autobody . you'l have to sand a little on the powerlet to clean it .i think there is a coating on it .
you may want to try silver solder . not the can'tire stuff but real silver soldier either should hold .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:05 pm 

Can you post or send a photo of the two pieces in the position that you want to weld them?

metalmuncher49@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:23 pm 

well, ace... thats kinda what i figured.

jezx, your right, the powerlets are galvanized... as far as i know.

and metalmuncher, all i want to do is put a male 1/8 npt fitting right on the bottom. i have taps and dies, so i might just try to make a fake co2 out of aluminum... i think i can do it.... :lol: i think i can, i think i can :D
we'll see.

thanx guys!

al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:41 am 
Admin-2-IC

Tap & dies should do the trick, perhaps add an o-ring for a gasket. If attaching between two pieces of brass, you can use hot solder. When everything else fail, you can try this special welding rod to use with light heat and used to be available at the Hobby shop. It's excellent to weld two type of steel, especially aluminum. I don't remember what it's called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:10 am 

well, i gave it a try... :roll: i think i need a different torch head or something... im just using a plain jane propane tip. i did look at the brazing kit at canadian tire, but they wanted $45... so i cheaped out and just bought the gas :lol: what can i say!! will a regular propane tip do the job? or am i just wasting a whole lotta heat? seems to take forever just to melt the rod.
anyhow, i did make a fake co2... and it turned out ok, except i lost a couple threads... workin the tap too hard i think. only thing is, i made it too short!! talk about frustrating! :lol: well, i might be able to make it work, i'll just need shims or something.
well, once i accomplish this here feat... i'll have a .22 paintball gun running bulk with a remote :twisted: but it'll hafta wait til tomorrow... or later today... its 2 AM, need to sleep...
later.

al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:17 am 

hey sniper, that'd be cool if you could find out what that rod is... you can weld alum with it? you say 2 types of steel, you mean ferrous to non ferrous? steel is ferrous, alum is non ferrous.. ferrous means ferrite (or something) which is roman, or latin, for iron. easiest way to tell if something is ferrous is to use a magnet, if it sticks, it ferrous. 2 years at a scrap yard and thats all i really needed to know :lol: too bad i have no hobby shop to go to... nearest is either calgary, or across the border, and either way its a 4 hour drive.
i wish i was just soldering brass to brass... THATS easy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:02 am 
Admin-2-IC

killercrow wrote:
hey sniper, that'd be cool if you could find out what that rod is... you can weld alum with it? you say 2 types of steel, you mean ferrous to non ferrous? steel is ferrous, alum is non ferrous.. ferrous means ferrite (or something) which is roman, or latin, for iron. easiest way to tell if something is ferrous is to use a magnet, if it sticks, it ferrous. 2 years at a scrap yard and thats all i really needed to know :lol: too bad i have no hobby shop to go to... nearest is either calgary, or across the border, and either way its a 4 hour drive.
i wish i was just soldering brass to brass... THATS easy :lol:

Ok, I tried it with a magnet and it's NON ferrous. I found this at the hobby show one time about 7 years ago and I needed it to joint two pieces aluminum. This lady at the show was doing demonstration with it and it was amazing, only need a regular propane torch and do not apply much heat and the result it was really strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:24 am 

sounds almost too good to be true!!! i want some! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:30 am 
Admin-2-IC

killercrow wrote:
sounds almost too good to be true!!! i want some! :lol:

If you weren't 3500 km away, I could've give you some to pick up....lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:20 am 

well aint that just how thing go... :roll: :lol: well, thanx anyhow! if you come across some though, and if its not too expensive, i'll buy it off ya! for sure man. that would be too cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:25 pm 

Is this what you are looking for?

If so send me you mailing address. :lol: