Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Lathe Die Holder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:31 pm 

For many years now I have been intending to make some die holders that can be held in a 1/2" Jacob's Chuck or a Lathe Chuck.... Without one, it is pretty difficult to start a die straight on a shaft, particularly a small machine screw thread.... I have a job coming up where I am going to have to thread a 1/8" valve stem with 5-40 threads so that the poppet will be better secured, so I decided today was the day to make a die holder that would fit the assortment of 13/16" OD dies I have for 2-56 through 12-24 threads.... I started with a 2" long piece of 1144 steel, and here is what I ended up with....

The shaft is 1/2" diameter, and 1.2" long, which will allow the shoulder to go right up against the end of the Jacob's Chuck in my tailstock.... and of course it will do the same in the headstock 3-jaw chuck.... The front end is bored 0.817" ID to a depth of 0.260", and there are three holes drilled and tapped for 10-32 setscrews at 45 deg. to each other.... The setscrew in the center hole is 1/4" long and machined to a 90 deg. point to spread the slot in the die, the other two are just 3/16" long 10-32 setscrews.... As with any adjustable die, you can clamp or spread the die to adjust it to give you the proper thread dimensions.... There is a 1/4" through hole for the shaft to pass through....

I think this should work just fine, and make threading small shafts and parts and keeping the thread straight a lot easier.... I plan to make a couple of other holders for larger dies someday.... ::)

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Post subject: Re: Lathe Die Holder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm 

Nice work, Bob.

I made one that fits in the TS chuck with a 1/2" through hole for longer threading jobs. I also made one similar to the other but with a blind hole instead, 4" long, with a center point in the end. Has handles on the side much the same as a normal die holder but with a long hollow stem. I use my spring loaded tap follower in the TS with the point on the end of the stem and grab the handles. With the lathe turning in back gears I'm able to hold the handles by hand, monitoring the torque to make sure I'm not binding. And easier to back off to break the chip. All this to prevent the holder from spinning in the chuck chewing up the die holder. And faster reversing to break the chip. My lathe is run by a VFD with a complicated control system. There's a built in delay when switching directions to prevent any over current problems when changing directions. Also to reduce the risk of potentially spinning the chuck off the spindle nose...

I digress... Nice work, Bob!

Today I turned some new brass bushings for some gears in the banjo. I like holidays off work! More shop time! I even got time to fire off some JSB 18.1's in my .22 Benjamin for the first time in 4 months. Still damn accurate... 1/2" at 18 yards.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:27 pm 

I guess I should have mentioned I won't be using this powered in the lathe.... I disengage the belt drive to the headstock, put the work in there, the die in the tailstock, and just push the die in the tailstock against the work while turning the chuck by hand.... For sizes up to 1/4" it is easy to turn the chuck.... just push the tailstock forward (unlocked) as the work runs into the die.... easy to reverse to break the chip, too....

I use a similar method for larger taps, starting them in the Jacob's chuck in the tailstock, and turning the 3-jaw containing the work by hand.... This will get you started straight, and then I replace the chuck in the tailstock with a dead center in the back of the tap and use a conventional tap handle, with the headstock locked, to finish the threading, again by hand.... advancing the dead center with light pressure on the handwheel as the tap enters the work....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:05 pm 

I use the TS die holder with handles with the spindle locked in back gears and turn the die by hand. With a 6" chuck there's a lot of weight behind turning a 4-40 or 6-32 thread. I broke a screw once from just the free spinning weight of the chuck. And that was the first and last time. I found the free spinning die handle quite handy for feeling the torque and if the die is starting to bind.

What kind of lathe do you have?

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:38 pm 

Atlas 12 x 36 from about 1970.... with a Milling Attachment I bought on eBay in 2008.... I did an optional Metric threading conversion last year....

topic77854.html

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:03 pm 

Nice, big old iron.
Mine is a MySore Enterprise 10. 10x28. I did a metric to imperial conversion. Lol.

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

What did you hold it in when you drilled and tapped the set screw holes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm 

I used a 1/2" 5C Collet in a square collet holder, mounted in the milling attachment on my lathe....

I had modded the milling attachment with a slot to clear the hex mount as well, and added a stop on the end....

Hex holder mounted, the square mounts the same way.... You can take out the holder and it goes back in the same place every time....

Centered it up to the lathe chuck, got the position where I needed the first hole, locked the milling attachment in position vertical and crossfeed, then drilled and tapped it 10-32.... Turned the holder 90 deg. and did the other side.... Took it out, loosened the collet and rotated the die holder 45 deg. in it, remounted it in the lathe and did the hole in between....

Bob