Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 20 cal
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Wondering for those who may have 20 cal guns, how has the limited selection affected you? Looks like only 2 pellets are now available

Post subject: Re: 20 cal
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 pm 

Well, from the get go I was hesitant to buy .20 cal guns for just that reason.
From what I read, the .20 cal guns were mostly upper end and probably didn't sell in mass quantities because they were relatively expensive. This in turn meant there wasn't a vast demand for pellets, which were often as expensive as .22 cal, and has resulted in fewer (few) .20 cal pellets left on the market. As a followup question, hopefully not hijacking your post, does the .20 cal really fill a necessary niche between .177 and .22?

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am 

All my .20's are very accurate will available pellets.

Even put a .20 Air Force barrel on my LG110. Very nice shooter.

.20 job and .20 Predators

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:18 pm 

HI:
I like my .20 guns as they have the best of .177/.22 features.
Some would argue the also have the worst.
I have a couple of old Sheridan's and it is interesting why (back in the day) they could have chosen either or and went with the .20!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

I read that Sheridan went with .20 so they could corner the market on ammo since it has a better markup than the gun itself, and of course ammo sales continue on and on. Then Beeman decided to do more or less the same by asking certain mfg's to make .20 guns and ammo mfg's to make ammo, both of which were only available from Beeman as I recall. Seems to have worked for him $ but now people are stuck with these guns. Some can be converted to 177, or 22, with a simple barrel swap, if the mfg sells them as a part for a reasonable price.
Back when Beeman did this the 22 was a bit much for airguns of the day and people wanted more than 177. What they really needed was simply a more powerful gun in 22 but for whatever reason they didn't exist. So basically, imo, guns power levels were at a point that 20 sounded good if hyped properly.
I don't see any advantage to 20 but if it makes people happy then great, until the ammo vanishes. Imo the 20 pellets are/were too heavy compared to the bore area so it hurts the delicate balance of the guns ability to make peak power. It all depends on the gun and it's power level, but on avg they were too heavy for the 20 guns in that era.
Now days they could no doubt handle them much better but I still think either 177 or 22 is better. I like 177 for guns ~20ftlbs or less, 22 for those 24ftlbs+. The 18 to 24 range can work with either but not ideal. There are just too many variables to set anything in stone, plus personal preference, but that's a general guide imo. So if a 20-22ftlb gun had a 20 bore maybe it would be better than the other cals, but that's a very narrow niche. Still, odds are the 177 or 22 would preferable to most people in that 20ftlb gun so even less of a niche. Those are my thoughts on it ;)
Things like this remind me of an enduro motorcycle; sucks on the street, sucks in the dirt. At least 20 had a zone where it did work. Also all the firearm calibers that are different, yet not as good as others similar to it. Like how many different kinds of .30 are there, sheeze! If you could've prevented all but the best 10% the world would be a better place.
I also wonder how the Sheridan would've worked if they sold it in both 177 and 22 instead, especially considering those awful 20 pells were the only choice back then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 am 

HI Chevota:
Good input.
The enduro motorcycle analogy is one I can identify with.
Bernie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 am 

Those old Sheridan cylindrical pellets were notoriously inaccurate. The literally looked like a cylinder (piledriver style) but reputedly penetrated quite well due to their sectional density. 15gr is quite heavy in .20 cal if I remember correctly. The more modern Crosman iteration is still heavy at 14.3gr but has a gentle skirt and waist which greatly contribute to accuracy. Basically the only .20 pellets I can find online nowadays are these Benjamin/Crosman modern cylindricals or H&N Field Trophy roundnose (11.4gr I think).

I bought a Sheridan E9A C02 pistol in .20 back in 1998 from SIR in Winnipeg. It is nice and compact and packs perfectly in a nylon 1911 holster. I have shot it extensively and even bagged the odd squirrel and grouse with it. It shoots the new 14.3 gr pellets extremely well (about an inch at 10yds for 5 shots) and gets just over 400fps depending on the temp (around 410-420 when I chronied it). I've had to replace the face seal a few times (the old orange ones) so I'm pretty careful with oiling the C02 and being gentle screwing it in now.
I'm very happy with the performance of my .20 E9A but cant help but think it would be more useful to have more pellet variety in .22 (cheap wadcutters etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am 

In addition to the H&N field target 11.4gr pellets I discovered some 13.3gr Barracudas. Havent seen the Crosman RN for sale for a while but they were 14.3gr just like the Cylindricals.
.20 pellet selection certainly seems to favour the heavy.....