Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 am 

My local Home Hardware carries it for me and is cheaper than Home Depot. Find it in the electric section. Changing out a furnace on Monday and will mail you a lower door. What are the dimensions of your box if it fits? Or you can build a new one to fit the door and have it for life. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:07 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
My local Home Hardware carries it for me and is cheaper than Home Depot. Find it in the electric section. Changing out a furnace on Monday and will mail you a lower door. What are the dimensions of your box if it fits? Or you can build a new one to fit the door and have it for life. :wink:

I'll have to measure it again, but I think something like 18 inches high, and 27 inches wide.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:07 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I'll try to do the outdoor insulation experiment today, but I have a family gathering so may not have time, in that case I'll do it tomorrow.

I like the denim idea, I could probably get lots of old jeans at thrift stores.

What I do notice though, is that the type of insulation I and leadslinger used are entirely different, his is harder and sheetlike while mine is soft and puffy.

I do have a Webly Tempest coming in on the second according to the estimated delivery date, and I just bought a .22 underlever rifle from wes, so that should be here in a week or so. The tempest shoots at 420fps, and wes told me the rifle shoots at just under 500, so those should both good for testing different ideas out with.

If I have trouble finding a better stopping material that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I guess I'll just have to buy a few pellet traps and weld them together to make a larger one.

R20 means its denser and better insulation properties. Each bat is 6.5" thick. Yours probably R12 or something meant for 2x4 studs. Concept still the same, Doesn't take much to shoot thru. If I used my 2100 on 5 pumps. It would blown right thru. Which probably hovers around the 500 FPS mark. Basically saying its a poor choice. Every time you shoot. You're making it airborne and breathing in little shards of glass.

22 cal will have twice the amount of energy than 177. So it will penetrate more. So if 177 380 FPS went thru 10" of insulation, 22 cal will make it thru ALL. and quickly start making short work of the back stop.

That's the problem with using material to stop. Sooner or later you'll punch a hole thru.

These are the traps I use in the basement. I since move my larger 22 rimfire trap in. Since the ones with the spinners were showing signs of bulging even with sub 500. The thicker Rem. I smeared some duct seal on it, And handled 26 FPE close range w/o any ricochet. Duct seal a putty that stays malleable. Only need less than 2" to stop like 800 FPS pellet. 1" on a cookie sheet will stop it.

Mainly use that one for Chrony work.

You don't need to get pellet traps. You just need to ensure that it will last. You can find alot at the dollar store.

If you want less penetration. Stick with flat head ( wadcutters ) or mild domes. Avoid pointed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:20 pm 

yes, I will be switching the material out to duct seal as I just mentioned, as soon as I can get enough of the duct seal in. It seems the standard 1inch bars should be enough for sub 500fps?

May be using that furnace door wheeliehd will have if it is a good size, if not, then maybe just a second plywood layer, or I may just rebuild the box to fit the door, if it's a large enough size for my liking.

The main thing I have against most (pre-made) pellet traps is that they are too small for my liking, I need something for fitting multiple targets, and also room for missing since I am still learning and am far from an expert marksman.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Last edited by Twiggy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:23 pm 

One beer and my shooting goes to hell in a handbag. :lol: So does my goal tending so never beer before hockey. I am a human target! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:13 pm 

Home Hardware has them, but for 20 of them, the price comes to $69.80.

barbas messaged me saying he has a material he uses that stops pellets, and will be by next week to give me the remainder of a roll, so I will try that before spending $70.

I think the plywood should hold up for a week and a bit, and if the insulation doesn't last long, I have lots more of it still in the attic to replace it for the time being.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:34 pm 

I use layered cardboard from Costco boxes and layered old fabric like old shirt and jeans, alternate it together and at the end of the back is a 1/2 plywood, easy to clean collect the pellet and bb's, and best of all I just keep on adding more cardboard on top till it gets filled up. My target sheets are the cardboard which I cut it out and stamp it with red stamp pad target. the groupings is from a steel force, so its all over the area.

Attachments:
20181229_112403.jpg
20181229_112403.jpg [ 44.99 KiB | Viewed 1709 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:56 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Home Hardware has them, but for 20 of them, the price comes to $69.80.

barbas messaged me saying he has a material he uses that stops pellets, and will be by next week to give me the remainder of a roll, so I will try that before spending $70.

I think the plywood should hold up for a week and a bit, and if the insulation doesn't last long, I have lots more of it still in the attic to replace it for the time being.

its called blueskin wp200..peel and stick waterproofing membrane and doubled up on a sheet of plywood stops and holds the pellet...been using it for years

Steve

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm 

Duct seal has been in my trap for years. Hundreds of shots per week. Use a paint scrapper and they fall out and big holes I fill with extra bar of duct seal.

blueskin wp200 only $152. per roll. How long does it last doubled up? Stick on and made of asphalt. Do pellets bounce off it? or still need something in front of it like insulation?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:09 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Duct seal has been in my trap for years. Hundreds of shots per week. Use a paint scrapper and they fall out and big holes I fill with extra bar of duct seal.

blueskin wp200 only $152. per roll. How long does it last doubled up? Stick on and made of asphalt. Do pellets bounce off it? or still need something in front of it like insulation?

I sell the 18inx75ft rolls for34.00..cheep cheep..in the summer I will put a Cpl hundred pellets in the 18x18in piece before I change it out but will have multiple dots as bulls eyes
there is a poly protective sheet on the front and it is asphalt/bitumastic based but so sticky it just seems to grab hold of sub 500 pellet guns, maybe the self sealing puncture aspects have something to do with it

just another option is all

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:18 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
yes, I will be switching the material out to duct seal as I just mentioned, as soon as I can get enough of the duct seal in. It seems the standard 1inch bars should be enough for sub 500fps?

May be using that furnace door wheeliehd will have if it is a good size, if not, then maybe just a second plywood layer, or I may just rebuild the box to fit the door, if it's a large enough size for my liking.

The main thing I have against most (pre-made) pellet traps is that they are too small for my liking, I need something for fitting multiple targets, and also room for missing since I am still learning and am far from an expert marksman.

One brick thick. Can stop 800 FPS, maybe more. Will stop even before touching the back stop. Just need a solid back plate. Means you will not need to upgrade, if you ever get more powerful airguns.

I just don't see the insulation lasting more then a day. If you're adamant in using it. Put some cardboard over. To keep the fibers from getting airborne and covering everything. Even your clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:39 pm 

Well, if I can get a bit of the blue skin to try it, I’ll try it. If it works, then it’ll come down to what is more cost effective between it and duct seal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:01 pm 

barbas929 wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

I sell the 18inx75ft rolls for34.00..cheep cheep..in the summer I will put a Cpl hundred pellets in the 18x18in piece before I change it out but will have multiple dots as bulls eyes
there is a poly protective sheet on the front and it is asphalt/bitumastic based but so sticky it just seems to grab hold of sub 500 pellet guns, maybe the self sealing puncture aspects have something to do with it

just another option is all

Thanks. Just trying to understand all options. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Well, if I can get a bit of the blue skin to try it, I’ll try it. If it works, then it’ll come down to what is more cost effective between it and duct seal.

I wouldn't just look at whats cheaper. I would look at what will last. Duct seal can last 20 years. Seems like this blueskin can wear out. So will need to be changed more often. Adding up over time. To maybe double what the duct seal would have cost. Just a thought,

Why I bought the 22 LR rimfire trap. Was 50$ on clearance. And I just threw some rubber mulch in the base and some duct seal on the back.. I know ill have that trap for years and won't need to upgrade as I get more powerful air rifles. But won't be needed. Because after x FPS it's too loud to shoot in my back yard. That I'll just goto the rifle range close.

I just wish the rimfire trap had some spinners and other stuff than just paper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:29 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Twiggy wrote:

I wouldn't just look at whats cheaper. I would look at what will last. Duct seal can last 20 years. Seems like this blueskin can wear out. So will need to be changed more often. Adding up over time. To maybe double what the duct seal would have cost. Just a thought,

Why I bought the 22 LR rimfire trap. Was 50$ on clearance. And I just threw some rubber mulch in the base and some duct seal on the back.. I know ill have that trap for years and won't need to upgrade as I get more powerful air rifles. But won't be needed. Because after x FPS it's too loud to shoot in my back yard. That I'll just goto the rifle range close.

I just wish the rimfire trap had some spinners and other stuff than just paper.

I drilled a hole in each side and put on metal targets from Ebay. Have about 15 left of both sizes. used electrical tape out side of the trap to hold the bar and electrical tape on each side to hold the spinners. They are so heavy they don't spin but never bend in a million years. So easy to scrap off the stickers with a razor blade scrapper. These are the dots I put on them plus my knock down ducks. Metal targets I bought in 2017 and got them all for around a dollar each. CHEERS!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wholesale-4CM-S ... SwcUBYT7G8

Best target stickers I ever used. They stick good. Not one or two shots and they fall off. You can shoot them till all of the stick is rubbed off from pellets. Got them on Amazon.

Last edited by wheeliehd on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next