Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Twiggy wrote:
Well, if I can get a bit of the blue skin to try it, I’ll try it. If it works, then it’ll come down to what is more cost effective between it and duct seal.

I wouldn't just look at whats cheaper. I would look at what will last. Duct seal can last 20 years. Seems like this blueskin can wear out. So will need to be changed more often. Adding up over time. To maybe double what the duct seal would have cost. Just a thought,

Why I bought the 22 LR rimfire trap. Was 50$ on clearance. And I just threw some rubber mulch in the base and some duct seal on the back.. I know ill have that trap for years and won't need to upgrade as I get more powerful air rifles. But won't be needed. Because after x FPS it's too loud to shoot in my back yard. That I'll just goto the rifle range close.

I just wish the rimfire trap had some spinners and other stuff than just paper.

I drilled a hole in each side and put on metal targets from Amazon. Have about 15 left of both sizes. used electrical tape out side of the trap to hold the bar and electrical tape on each side to hold the spinners. They are so heavy they don't spin but never bend in a million years. So easy to scrap off the stickers with a razor blade scrapper. These are the dots I put on them plus my knock down ducks. Metal targets I bought in 2017 and got them all for around a dollar each. This is a horrendous price now. someone would likely have them cheaper. CHEERS!

https://www.amazon.ca/Smarty-Shooting-T ... ng+targets

EDIT - Actually thinking about it I got mine from EBAY but they are the same as the ones from Amazon.

Yeah I was searching Ebay for some. I guess I could do that with my rimfire trap for the winter. Save me making a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 pm 

Come from China so you will have them for next winter anyways. :lol:

Wes has some spinners. Same idea drill a hole and change the screw to a bolt. Put one on both sides. same idea and put a sticker on it so you know where you hit. Went to Wes sight must have sold out but look what I found. I just bought two sets. Used rubber tubing inside the box over the bar to hold them apart where you want them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KZM ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:06 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:

Wes has some spinners. Same idea drill a hole and change the screw to a bolt. Put one on both sides. same idea and put a sticker on it so you know where you hit.

The animal spinners in the box I posted earlier are from Wes. So far so good. A little heavy for sub 500 guns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 pm 

Thank you twister. Good to know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:

Wes has some spinners. Same idea drill a hole and change the screw to a bolt. Put one on both sides. same idea and put a sticker on it so you know where you hit. Went to Wes sight must have sold out but look what I found. I just bought two sets. Used rubber tubing inside the box over the bar to hold them apart where you want them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KZM ... UTF8&psc=1

You got a point. I messaged Wes, to see if my PP700SA shipped yet. And if I could add some spinners to that package.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:59 pm 

this one time at band camp

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:48 am 

Cost effectiveness is not just about initial cost, but about all associated costs down the road as well, such as buying more of a material often to replace it.

Sometimes it is better to buy in bulk or buy a more expensive material to prevent having to spend money on it anywhere in the predictable future.

I'd expect this blue skin material to ware out and need replacement, just like the insulation would, so maybe paying more the the duct seal upfront would make far more sense.

I'd like to try it though, and it seems like barbas is going to give me a little for free, so there's nothing to lose in trying it.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:13 am 

By all means Twiggy. I am curious also. Would like to see how pellet stick to it. No explanation needed. More curious to see if airsoft would stick to it as I shoot spring airsoft pistols at my trailer in summer time at the trailer park. In April we will see how duct seal survives winter buried in snow if we get any. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 am 

Duct seal is designed to remain sticky and malleable through the cold. After all, we don't stop running electrical services in the winter... those pipe mouths still need to be sealed.
Buy your duct seal from an electrical wholesaler, a supplier. It's a fraction of the cost. I pay about $1.40 a pound. (I generally buy 20lbs at a time)

Blue skin will lose its tack as it picks up more dust and debris.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:51 pm 

Me being a Mechanical Contractor and they call it "Duct Seal" I always wonder why it is in electrical section? :lol: Should it not be with the duct and sheet metal heating section? :? They don't call it "wire and conduit seal". :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:24 pm 

Maybe they're trying to have people mentally connect it to duct tape, since duct tape has a good reputation and is generally viewed as rugged, and strong?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:24 pm 

Duct tape was for heating up till they came out with foil tape that we use today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:28 pm 

I didn't know that, but of course, I like most people don't use duct tape for ducts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:43 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I didn't know that, but of course, I like most people don't use duct tape for ducts.

Either did Red Green. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Either did Red Green. LOL

So did dad. Was in Alaska and one of the door seals of his plane ripped off beyond repair. So they ratchet the door close and duct tape it shut. Till they got to someplace warmer to fix it. There was also a "borrowing" of a landing gear as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next