Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am 

I'd like to apologize if I sounded a little pushy.

3/4" plywood and a pair of jeans should be enough to stop sub 500 FPS. Helps if you use wadcutters or mild domes. Distributes the energy, so doesn't pin point. Tested a folded pair last night, 5 shots same'ish area. They stopped within the first layer. Helps if you duct tape them. Gives them a little more strength.

I geared up a trap last night. Since the rimfire one wasn't as practical as I realized. Milk crate, had a section of 3/4" plywood. Cut it to the inside size of the crate. Then I folded a duct tape pair of jeans. Stuffed the gaps with rags. Then a layer of cardboard, then a layer of rubberized foam. Then I just used screws in the side to keep everything in. Then I had a pre cut piece of MDF that I used on the milk crate for the cats. And just screwed it on the back, using the plywood as the anchor.

And it's much lighter than the 22 trap.

Just need to make a shelf, so I can put army men, screws so I can play small things on ( pills, tic tacs )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:48 am 

I have a few targets in milk crates. I put my knock down targets and my biathlon target just with a rubber kids click floor play mat behind and sides. Hoping I don't miss the steel target but only shoot them with certain 500ish FPS rifles that I know are bang on every shot so I do not have to paint them often. :lol: I do have a steel room divider behind them just in case.

Sometimes little nudging is good especially when shooting insulation. Insulation in the lungs is not good. I used to be a manager in a fibreglass factory. Got out after two years for health reasons.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
I have a few targets in milk crates. I put my knock down targets and my biathlon target just with a rubber kids click floor play mat behind and sides. Hoping I don't miss the steel target but only shoot them with certain 500ish FPS rifles that I know are bang on every shot so I do not have to paint them often. :lol: I do have a steel room divider behind them just in case.

Sometimes little nudging is good especially when shooting insulation. Insulation in the lungs is not good. I used to be a manager in a fibreglass factory. Got out after two years for health reasons.

CHEERS!

They're cheap. Sometimes Free. Good platform to work from.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:30 pm 

barbas should be by in a couple days with a little of that blue skin.

That said, I am still leaning on the side of duct seal because as you guys said, I wouldn't have to replace the duct seal for years (except a brick or two for filling in badly shot up areas).

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm 

Here is a simple IDEA for a target holder for your trap.. Just get a L bracket, or chunk of wood .That you could screw onto the bottom of the top. To secure the bulldog clip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm 

Since we are showing indoor shooting boxes, here is mine.
Plywood 1/2" and 1/4" steel at 45 degree angle, with a 2" wide 3/16| steel plate under the bottom wedge at the back.
It is 19" side to side # 15" deep at the bottom, and 17 tall, all outside measurements. It was made this size, to utilize the pieces of steel plate that I had. The angled steel plate starts 2 1/2" back from the top edge and stops 1 1/2" from the back edge of the box. It is supported by 2x2's mostly. The one at the bottom back, is butted against a 3/16" x 2" steel plate that catches 99% of the pellets in it's inner corner.
There are 2, 1/2" x 2" wide pieces of scrap on the inside to support the angled steel deflector plate. All of hese support pieces are screwed from the outside & or bottom surfaces, using sheet rock screws, through the 1/2 walls & bottom or top of the box.
There is no back sheet of wood nor front, however I do staple a piece of thick cardboard across the front to prevent bounces - they have not happened even when there was a 10" diameter hole in the
cardboard. The pellets hit the rear steel plate and bounce down to hit the wedge between the angled steel plate and the 2" wide floor, just in front of the back edge. This should be visible in the
picture of the inside. The lumps of pellets stuck together were pulled from the wedge ob the steel plates.

Attachments:
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG [ 646.7 KiB | Viewed 1674 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 pm 

the back showing the wooden supporting pieces of wood.

Attachments:
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG [ 694.29 KiB | Viewed 1674 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Since we are showing indoor shooting boxes, here is mine.

Well I technically have like 4 shooting boxes.

Do it all sprinner/trap, and my milk crate sub 500 fps trap ( 3/4" plywood, jeans, duct tape, and MDF ) With a foam backing. Is normally whats setup in the basement.

Then in the corner can see the green Remington trap. I mainly use that just for chrony work ( I normally have some duct seal smeared on it )And then the 22LR rimfire trap. I normally have that in the garage. So I can haul it out if I want to shoot outdoors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am 

Oh,

Nice to see some activity on this thread again.

Thanks, I already got a bull dog clip from Walmart a week ago, it is screwed in place already.

I went to home hardware and ordered the 20 bars of duct seal, still waiting for the call that it's in. Hope it won't be much longer.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:28 am 

Ordered the Duct Seal from Home Hardware last Wednesday, it came in yesterday, but I could only pick up Friday.

It looks that I am about 5 and 1/2 bars short, meaning I will need to get 6 more. Even though I ordered 20 motherf**king bars!

Still have no news on Wheelie's furnace door...

If I get now news, I'll just add another layer for plywood at the back easily with 4 short screws.

These can allegedly stop things traveling at 800fps, so for my sub 500fps use, I don't see it ever going through and hitting even the first layer for plywood.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 am 

[emoji38] picture tell the truth ~ you really got a big box to fill ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:26 am 

Twiggy wrote:
Ordered the Duct Seal from Home Hardware last Wednesday, it came in yesterday, but I could only pick up Friday.

It looks that I am about 5 and 1/2 bars short, meaning I will need to get 6 more. Even though I ordered 20 motherf**king bars!

Still have no news on Wheelie's furnace door...

If I get now news, I'll just add another layer for plywood at the back easily with 4 short screws.

These can allegedly stop things traveling at 800fps, so for my sub 500fps use, I don't see it ever going through and hitting even the first layer for plywood.

Since you're mainly shooting sub 500. You can make what you got work, you really only need 1". Arrange the plugs into the center more. And get a maul and start wacking, Or need it. Like rolling dough. Spreading it from the center, out. Should fill the space you got.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm 

lol...this is overkill for sub 500...spread them as suggested your not going to penetrate through the bars
shoot one and see how far your pellet go's in your going to be surprised... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:46 pm 

It's been a long time since I last posted, however I did as said, I spread them around and could easily cover the entire surface.

I was even able to keep one bar for touch ups as needed.

I'll post a picture of it a little later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
It's been a long time since I last posted, however I did as said, I spread them around and could easily cover the entire surface.

I was even able to keep one bar for touch ups as needed.

I'll post a picture of it a little later.

How is your lead collection coming? Coffee cans work good for storage. Garbage truck loves it when you wait for him and he thinks you are being nice throwing the bag in for him. :lol: CHEERS!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next