Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm 

During my web surfing today, I came across this video about Courtney Hadwin, who was a contestant on 2018's "America's Got Talent".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxl5X_OMCg

The video claims that after she went back to school she was bullied for her "eccentric taste in rock music", and that she went over well with American (and Canadian) audiences so well because of the differing cultures.

I just want to focus on the "eccentric taste in rock music".

Aren't a crap ton of the big names in rock from the UK? Off the top of my head I can think of:

- The Rolling Stones,
- The Beattles,
- The Who,
- Rod Stewart,
- Black Sabbath,
- Judas Preist,
- Iron Maiden

and I'm pretty sure queen was from the UK as well.

I generally don't watch talent or singing shows, but my folks do, and they told me I might like her, so I listened to a couple of Courtney's performances and I did like it, finally someone was bringing good music to those shows.

Can someone from the UK please tell me that this is a joke, and the rock music is not seen as eccentric? Please?

Just last night on the way to and from my cousins house for a party (1 hour drive each way), I had my walkman with me listening to my Alice Cooper "Hey Stupid", and Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever" cassettes.

90% of the pre-recorded cassettes I buy at thrift stores and some local second hand shops, virtually all of my vinyl, and virtually all of my 8-tracks fit under the umbrella of "rock" which I consider to be anything from soft-rock/classic rock to heavy metal and even black metal.

I have lots of great artists on analog formats, stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Heart, Tom Petty, The Beattles, Queen, Rush, Meatloaf, Aerosmith, Steppenwolf, Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks, Mick Jagger, Kim Mitchell, Pat Benatar, and the list goes on.

Honestly, if I was still in school and Courtney Hadwin went to mine, I'd think she's super cool and instead of bullying her, I'd befriend her.

But hey, I've already caught myself using the term "back in my day" when talking about things I did as a child which wouldn't fly today (like shooting my townhouse complex up with cap guns), so maybe I am already beginning to lose touch with the younger generation and am not far from also saying things like "get off my lawn"? :wink:

P.S: This is cross posted from a music forum I am on focusing on analog audio so that's what explains the references to analog audio formats. I just thought I'd share it with you guys and gals as well.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:40 pm 

Missing ALOT.

Motorhead,
The Clash ( more punk rock )
David Bowie.
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Elton John. Because I dunno anyone that doesn't sing "Saturday Night's Alright"
Eric Clapton
The Kinks.
Phil Collins And or Genisis
Cream ( white room )
Fleetwood Mac
Billy Idol
Joe Cocker ( little help from my friends )
Sex Pistols
The Police.
WhiteSnake.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
During my web surfing today, I came across this video about Courtney Hadwin, who was a contestant on 2018's "America's Got Talent".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxl5X_OMCg

The video claims that after she went back to school she was bullied for her "eccentric taste in rock music", and that she went over well with American (and Canadian) audiences so well because of the differing cultures.

I just want to focus on the "eccentric taste in rock music".

Aren't a crap ton of the big names in rock from the UK? Off the top of my head I can think of:

- The Rolling Stones,
- The Beattles,
- The Who,
- Rod Stewart,
- Black Sabbath,
- Judas Preist,
- Iron Maiden

and I'm pretty sure queen was from the UK as well.

I generally don't watch talent or singing shows, but my folks do, and they told me I might like her, so I listened to a couple of Courtney's performances and I did like it, finally someone was bringing good music to those shows.

Can someone from the UK please tell me that this is a joke, and the rock music is not seen as eccentric? Please?

Just last night on the way to and from my cousins house for a party (1 hour drive each way), I had my walkman with me listening to my Alice Cooper "Hey Stupid", and Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever" cassettes.

90% of the pre-recorded cassettes I buy at thrift stores and some local second hand shops, virtually all of my vinyl, and virtually all of my 8-tracks fit under the umbrella of "rock" which I consider to be anything from soft-rock/classic rock to heavy metal and even black metal.

I have lots of great artists on analog formats, stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Heart, Tom Petty, The Beattles, Queen, Rush, Meatloaf, Aerosmith, Steppenwolf, Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks, Mick Jagger, Kim Mitchell, Pat Benatar, and the list goes on.

Honestly, if I was still in school and Courtney Hadwin went to mine, I'd think she's super cool and instead of bullying her, I'd befriend her.

But hey, I've already caught myself using the term "back in my day" when talking about things I did as a child which wouldn't fly today (like shooting my townhouse complex up with cap guns), so maybe I am already beginning to lose touch with the younger generation and am not far from also saying things like "get off my lawn"? :wink:

P.S: This is cross posted from a music forum I am on focusing on analog audio so that's what explains the references to analog audio formats. I just thought I'd share it with you guys and gals as well.

ANALOG audio?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:12 pm 

ejackyou wrote:

ANALOG audio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgAUdbj85E

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm 

Twiggy wrote:

I listened and read the comments no-one has a clue!
When's the last time any of the these mostly younger generation
ever heard a source of music without the use of electronic amplification?
What's their Reference?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:50 pm 

ejackyou wrote:

I listened and read the comments no-one has a clue!
When's the last time any of the these mostly younger generation
ever heard a source of music without the use of electronic amplification?
What's their Reference?

Just because something is electronic, it doesn't automatically make it digital.

Cassette Decks are electronics, so are Cassette Walkmans, Turntables, etc. They all use analog sources such as tape or a record made of some sort of material (usually vinyl), just because the volume is amplified by an electronic device, it doesn't automatically make it digital.

My amplifier for example is class AB, making it an analog amplifier. One of the things I use it with is my Nakamichi CR-1A Cassette deck which is an analog device, so there's a pure analog signal (no conversion) going out from it to the analog amp and then out to the analog speakers, pure analog all the time.

Floppy Diskette drives are also electronic devices, but they are still analog.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 pm 

Quote:
ec·cen·tric
/ikˈsentrik/
adjective
adjective: eccentric

(of a person or their behavior) unconventional and slightly strange.

Nothing strange about liking those groups.

To me that would be odd bands like Die Antwoord, Björk.. Actually strange ones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:33 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Quote:
ec·cen·tric
/ikˈsentrik/
adjective

Totally agree!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 pm 

airmec wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Quote:
ec·cen·tric
/ikˈsentrik/
adjective

Totally agree!

And if people think you're strange for liking that type of music. Then I bet they have no taste in music at all. I cannot listen to the radio. It's garbage what considered hit music. I wouldn't call them Eccentric. I would call them Iconic. Alot of band now copy those iconic bands sounds. Todays music, you cannot tell whos is who. They all sound the same.

I listen from the 60's to early late 90's. After that I think music died. I also prefer alot of instrumental/orchestra music. 30 -120+ people trying to make that one perfect song. Or Classical.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:46 pm 

My favourite radio station is 91.7FM "Giant FM" "Niagara's Classic Rock Station"

They play lots of great bands, beattles, tom petty, fleetwood mac, kim mitchell, the cult, blue oyster cult, etc if you can think of it, they will probably play it.

My favorite artist is Marilyn Manson, who I also consider to be the last true rock star.

I have this great t-shirt design from the early 90's. I believe it first was printed in 1994 a year before I was born.

Also got this poster on the wall behind my bed:

got all the albums on CD, even a few singles albums, got some rare bootlegs, and lots of digital music files as well. Even 2 of the newer albums on vinyl.

I like the guy, it would be cool if I were older, and was around in the 90's to witness the "golden age" for myself.

I think he makes great art, and has very valid criticisms of society and mainstream organized religion. I also think he has a very good message of individuality, self-belief, free thinking and personal responsibility. If I ever have children, once they become teens I will expose them to Marilyn Manson for sure.

I liked rock music ever since I was a child, the first band I ever liked was green day, which got me into more rock groups. Now I listen to a lot of rock music from fleetwood mac, to the beattles, to black sabbath, to marilyn manson, rage against the machine, NIN, etc basically a wide spectrum of rock.

I agree the stuff on pop/top 40 radio is trash, that's why when listening to traditional radio I stick to classic rock stations like 91.7FM here, or if listening to satellite I listen to specialty stations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm 

Hi Kevin *wink*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:47 pm 

I have spotify premium, for me it's worth the $10 a month, because I listen to music for pretty much the entire work day as the majority of the job is just sorting recycling and is very stationary.

It also helps me when recording on to blank cassette tapes because the source I used previously was youtube which had a couple problems like needing to pause my deck when a song ended, and then setting the record level right for the next song, also youtube is known for having bad (very compressed) audio.

With spotify, I have all the songs set to the same volume level so I just have to set the record level once, and then I can just play an entire playlist and record it without having to do each song on it's own. Also, it has much better audio quality than youtube does.

my work playlist is 68 songs long now, and it has tracks from many different bands like:

- Green Day
- Sonic Youth
- KMFDM
- Motorhead
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Sisters of Mercy
- The Merry Thoughts
- The Offspring
- Blondie
- Bananarama
- Blue Oyster Cult
- Helloween
- Tom Petty
- Rage Against The Machine
- Sex Pistols
- Marilyn Manson
- Alice Cooper

and many more.

I was shocked that apparently my taste in music is "eccentric" at least according to this video and apparently UK culture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
And if people think you're strange for liking that type of music. Then I bet they have no taste in music at all. I cannot listen to the radio. It's garbage what considered hit music. I wouldn't call them Eccentric. I would call them Iconic. Alot of band now copy those iconic bands sounds. Todays music, you cannot tell whos is who. They all sound the same.

I listen from the 60's to early late 90's. After that I think music died. I also prefer alot of instrumental/orchestra music. 30 -120+ people trying to make that one perfect song. Or Classical.

Here's a video that gives an interesting view on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 pm 

airmec wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Here's a video that gives an interesting view on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

:)

Yup...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:24 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I have spotify premium, for me it's worth the $10 a month, because I listen to music for pretty much the entire work day as the majority of the job is just sorting recycling and is very stationary.

It also helps me when recording on to blank cassette tapes because the source I used previously was youtube which had a couple problems like needing to pause my deck when a song ended, and then setting the record level right for the next song, also youtube is known for having bad (very compressed) audio.

With spotify, I have all the songs set to the same volume level so I just have to set the record level once, and then I can just play an entire playlist and record it without having to do each song on it's own. Also, it has much better audio quality than youtube does.

my work playlist is 68 songs long now, and it has tracks from many different bands like:

- Green Day
- Sonic Youth
- KMFDM
- Motorhead
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Sisters of Mercy
- The Merry Thoughts
- The Offspring
- Blondie
- Bananarama
- Blue Oyster Cult
- Helloween
- Tom Petty
- Rage Against The Machine
- Sex Pistols
- Marilyn Manson
- Alice Cooper

and many more.

I was shocked that apparently my taste in music is "eccentric" at least according to this video and apparently UK culture.

There's nothing wrong at all with your musical tastes Twiggy, actually FWIW I approve :supz: I think you're looking for better sound and originality than what's ''popular'' these days eh? And...Blondie, really? My very first love :lol: