Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am 

You guys are funny. I don't tell my wife what guns I buy. I just put them in the safe right away and life goes on.

Back on topic. I hope everyone serious about shooting air guns gets a chance for ownership of a quality fine tuned springer. Pure joy in the shot cycle with accuracy results to match. It's fun shooting my 34 clones but the tx200 is an entirely different experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am 

Woody wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
Wife does not let me do this 20 yards anymore. Don't know what the problem was?

I think you're doing OK. If she allows a tool box in the kitchen, you've got yourself a keeper.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is her tool box for carving. This is my downstairs tool box.

Dogs get annoyed with me when they are sleeping when I want to shoot. Different guns for my different ranges. Some play video games and some do the real thing. Last video game I played it cost me a quarter and I got two games. Ten cents for the bus ride to the pool hall. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:18 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:
At what range?
For the price of 3 Airhawkes, could have bought the AirArms or HW underlevers and had a gun that shoots one little hole for 10 shots with a variety of pellets. Just saying.
The HW97 was my BEST airgun buy. Gophers to 56 yards.

Most people bought Airhawks when Walmart was selling them for 99$ with free shipping. So 3 Ruger is under 297$.. 335ish with Tax.

Cheapest Air Arms is 649, And Cheapest HW underlever is 549. Almost double, Just saying.

I guess $99.00 is a good price for a poor shooting air gun. Being so flighty & sensitive to hold, merely shows you do indeed get what you pay for. Just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 pm 

In the summer, ill give this trick a try on the full power Airhawk. ( 850 FPS ) But I'm like you. Other then my back yard. I much rather use a 22LR. Seems like to more accurate, cheaper to buy, more power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 pm 

Thumb in the hole works assume. Think you may be amazed. Shooting it again this afternoon with gr8 results. Grizzly 8.6's. Will now start testing other pellets again. Getting it dialed in. Got a couple 22's but enjoy my 22-250. I repair gas equipment for a customer and he reloads shells for all my powder burners. It works well for both of us. We have been doing it for years. Had to buy shells, an afternoon at the range would be over $100 in ammo so yes always take a .22 as well to lower cost. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:48 pm 

Daryl wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:
At what range?
For the price of 3 Airhawkes, could have bought the AirArms or HW underlevers and had a gun that shoots one little hole for 10 shots with a variety of pellets. Just saying.
The HW97 was my BEST airgun buy. Gophers to 56 yards.

Most people bought Airhawks when Walmart was selling them for 99$ with free shipping. So 3 Ruger is under 297$.. 335ish with Tax.

Cheapest Air Arms is 649, And Cheapest HW underlever is 549. Almost double, Just saying.

I guess $99.00 is a good price for a poor shooting air gun. Being so flighty & sensitive to hold, merely shows you do indeed get what you pay for. Just saying.

With all Due Respect:

I spent 15 years as compound bow/crossbows only. I was Canada's only sponsored Bowfisherman. Broke my shoulder playing hockey two years ago at 57 years old and back playing goal this winter. Which lead me to pellet guns since I shot my bows upstairs and a 30 yard range in my backyard. Pellet guns are basically fun toys to me and enjoy tearing them apart and changing things myself as I build all my own bow strings and tune my own bows. I am currently testing my shoulder out slowly and hope to hit the bow competitions again in the spring. Where I go from here who knows. Doubt I would want to tear apart a $1500 dollar airgun at this point or if I will stop airguns altogether. That is your thing and I have mine. What anyone thinks of me and what I choose to do does not matter to me.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Thumb in the hole works assume. Think you may be amazed. Shooting it again this afternoon with gr8 results. Grizzly 8.6's. Will now start testing other pellets again. Getting it dialed in. Got a couple 22's but enjoy my 22-250. I repair gas equipment for a customer and he reloads shells for all my powder burners. It works well for both of us. We have been doing it for years. Had to buy shells, an afternoon at the range would be over $100 in ammo so yes always take a .22 as well to lower cost. CHEERS!

I think I posted about using stock bolts as a locating point for the forehand some years ago.
My favourite springer is an AA Prosport, one of the best air rifles made and very accurate but like all springers, cheap or expensive, it needs a consistent hold to get the best from it. I like to think of the forehand as a fulcrum, with a springer there will always be recoil and movement but if you keep changing your hold then the rifle will react differently. My PS will shoot off sticks, a bag or a fence post provided I always have the stock supported in the same place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 am 

timmytree wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

I think I posted about using stock bolts as a locating point for the forehand some years ago.
My favourite springer is an AA Prosport, one of the best air rifles made and very accurate but like all springers, cheap or expensive, it needs a consistent hold to get the best from it. I like to think of the forehand as a fulcrum, with a springer there will always be recoil and movement but if you keep changing your hold then the rifle will react differently. My PS will shoot off sticks, a bag or a fence post provided I always have the stock supported in the same place.

I did figure that out. Thank you for mentioning that. I now rest the gun on my tripod at front of stock and still put thumb in screw hole and rest it on my palm to support some of the weight and it shoots where it aims now. Shrunk my 6 inch groups down to 1 inch groups. Still work to be done but for now I am forgetting about a Vortex kit and going with what I have. Groups open up I check my screws now. Hard time keeping the two stock screw tight. Tried blue lock tight but still come lose. Any suggestions and still be able to get screws out if/when needed?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 am 

I'm getting a new springer rifle in today, I will keep your hand and thumb position advice in mind.

I think it's worth it to learn artillery hold and such for springers because with them you don't need to worry about c02, air tanks, pumps, etc.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:54 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Still work to be done but for now I am forgetting about a Vortex kit and going with what I have.

If you already have an AH or a 34 the vortek kit is not such a bad thing. Without question it has made my surge (another 34 clone) shooting experience much better. The kit probably cost more than what you paid for the AH so that part is crappy. I think it would be better to just buy a rifle in the same price point as the combined price of the air hawk and vortek kit put together. Something like a used HW30. Much better overall value there. Saying all this I was able to shrink my groups from a frustrating 3+" ctc down to 1/2" and frequently 1/4" off a rest at 10m. Best 5 shot group was something slightly larger than a .22 hole but that's only happened a few times. The kit was the 12 ft-lbs version and I did work out a tight spot in the bore and re did the crown. The sub pal kit would probably be even more consistent accuracy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
Still work to be done but for now I am forgetting about a Vortex kit and going with what I have.

If you already have an AH or a 34 the vortek kit is not such a bad thing. Without question it has made my surge (another 34 clone) shooting experience much better. The kit probably cost more than what you paid for the AH so that part is crappy. I think it would be better to just buy a rifle in the same price point as the combined price of the air hawk and vortek kit put together. Something like a used HW30. Much better overall value there. Saying all this I was able to shrink my groups from a frustrating 3+" ctc down to 1/2" and frequently 1/4" off a rest at 10m. Best 5 shot group was something slightly larger than a .22 hole but that's only happened a few times. The kit was the 12 ft-lbs version and I did work out a tight spot in the bore and re did the crown. The sub pal kit would probably be even more consistent accuracy.

Half this thread was removed over about the same thing you just stated. We have gone plenty past this stage. But thanks for the advice. I will lose about 150FPS and I already own the spring and I can now keep it in a 1 inch circle at 30 feet and improving. Trigger job like my 690FPS would likely get me where I want to one ragid hole. I asked on keeping the screws from loosening and still be able to get them out easy. Any tips?
CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 am 

Twiggy wrote:
I'm getting a new springer rifle in today, I will keep your hand and thumb position advice in mind.

I think it's worth it to learn artillery hold and such for springers because with them you don't need to worry about c02, air tanks, pumps, etc.

Nice. I have gone a little the other way and got a QB78S pal rated on the way to modify. Got the S version because I already own all the pieces for tripod and make it a bench gun. Own seven springers so I am now exploring the outer circles. :wink: CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:47 am 

My apologies, not my intention to stir the pot.

Lose screws, blue Loctite. Good hold without welding them in place like red Loctite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
My apologies, not my intention to stir the pot.

Lose screws, blue Loctite. Good hold without welding them in place like red Loctite.

Blue Locktite did not work. May try it a second time. Need something a little thicker I think. Perhaps silicone would work better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am 

Hmmm, do the screws wiggle around in the bolt? Did you try letting the blue Loctite dry before screwing in? The qb78 should be a lot of fun. PAL rated too. Will punch clean holes on any paper with wad cutters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next