Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm 

This all happened today.

I was out driving around the rural area here, and I turned onto a local road on an stretch of it that was just dirt and rather bumpy but I thought I'd be fine as I drove through it once.

I was wrong, I ended up getting stuck in a "hole" and I tried forcing the car out forward by going at a high speed but it didn't budge, tried the same in reverse, also didn't budge.

So I contacted my parents to get my dad to come with his van or tractor to pull me out, but he said that's not going to be adequate for the situation. I had to wait a little before they even picked up the phone.

Luckily when I was on my last phone call with them, I saw another vehicle coming down, and it turned out to be an entire group of jeeps. The first one stopped by me and a lady got out and asked me what was going on, I said the obvious that I got stuck.

They tried to push me out but the car wouldn't budge, they then offered to toe me out but that it might cause some damage so I called my parents again since it was their car, dad came and then they got to toeing.

We did manage to get the car out, and there was little damage. All that happened was that a couple of the shields at the bottom came loose and we had to put them back on securely. The bumper also suffered some damage and had to be zip-tied, and taped back securely, for now, until we can mend it better.

Luckily, rather minor damage and something that can be fixed cheap, if not free.

My mother is just happy that I didn't get hurt. I also learnt the lesson that just because I could do something risky before, it doesn't mean I can do it a second, or third, or fourth, etc time.

It was pretty cool though seeing an entire jeep club zipping fast through a road like that and splashing mud everywhere.

When one of the guys saw how my dad managed to drive out the toyota corolla once it was pulled out of the hole, he said "next car I buy is a carolla".

All in all it was a very interesting experience.

We also washed the car off in the drive way, and I will be buying a proper car wash for the car, as well as tape or glue, or whatever needed for the bumper, as it was my fault. Shouldn't cost me too much anyways, so I am happy to help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm 

Glad it all worked out OK with you...

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:24 pm 

I was a little inaccurate in my terms.

The actual bumper itself is fine. It's just the cover for it that's cracked in the middle.

However dad says that come warmer weather (since we don't have a car garage), a little epoxy and drywall tape will fix it easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm 

Moral of the story. Avoid rural roads you don't know. Esp when there been freezing and thawing.

My winter beater was a 98 Corolla and I put that thru hell.

But first trip to Ontario I followed my GPS. Going to visit a friend in Kingston. Ended up down this goat path. Was a road at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:41 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Moral of the story. Avoid rural roads you don't know. Esp when there been freezing and thawing.

But first trip to Ontario I followed my GPS. Going to visit a friend in Kingston. Ended up down this goat path. Was a road at some point.

No. Moral of the story is don't lend your car to your kids! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:48 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

No. Moral of the story is don't lend your car to your kids! :lol:

Well, I have to agree with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:44 pm 

Off-roading is fun, just make sure you have a suitable vehicle, a 2006 Toyota Corolla certainly is not.

I already got it the luxury car wash, only cost a little over $13 with tax. The shields were obviously already fixed, so was the bumper cover, since it was fixed using black tape and zip ties with a piece of wood at the back, it looks bad if someone looks at it (but who really looks at the bottom of a bumper cover?).

Everything turned out fine in the end, dad and I are just going to eventually fix the bumper cover in a much less noticeable way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:50 pm 

Pictures or it didn't happen. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:04 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Off-roading is fun, just make sure you have a suitable vehicle, a 2006 Toyota Corolla certainly is not.

I already got it the luxury car wash, only cost a little over $13 with tax. The shields were obviously already fixed, so was the bumper cover, since it was fixed using black tape and zip ties with a piece of wood at the back, it looks bad if someone looks at it (but who really looks at the bottom of a bumper cover?).

Everything turned out fine in the end, dad and I are just going to eventually fix the bumper cover in a much less noticeable way.

First rule of off roading. Or adventures down roads you shouldn't go. Grab the camera.