Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:20 am 

I shoot at a relatively close range, so I think that the magnification from a scope would be wasted.

However I already have a small tasco scope which is unused at the moment, and I am sure that in the spring when I can get outside and shoot at some longer ranges, a scope would come in handy.

I did see that Canadian Tire has a cheap $30 Crosman red dot though, which would be more than enough for the shorter range I have indoors.

Do you think I should just use the scope anyways, to get more accustomed to it, or buy the cheap red dot for now?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 am 

I use a 4x scope at 25ft and doesn't give me issues. Sometimes I set it to 9x.

I have a red dot mounted on a pistol. Smaller 3MOA, but the dot even on the lowest setting can cover a target. The dot completely covers my steel spinners, and 1/2 a 3" circle sticker.

Ain't a problem if you are shooting larger targets. But kinda a problem when you are shooting 1" dots.

So with red dots, they are not as precise. The smaller the dot the better. I bet the Crosman one, would be like 5 or 6 MOA which is a big dot and may be a little trickier to do any precision work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:47 am 

Ah, guess I'll just use my tasco scope then, as I want to begin working on improving my shot.

From my shooting test last night, the new rifle appears to be accurate, I mean I got the bulls eye multiple times, and still pretty close to it when my aiming was a little off.

The tasco scope appears to be pretty old though, I mean, the foam washers at the bottom of the caps that cover the adjustment knobs, are deteriorating, but that can be fixed easily by just buying new washers.

Also, I guess scopes like any other glass can just be cleaned with some Windex?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:10 am 

I mean it's up to you. I use both.

My competition CZ pistol, I may be going back to reddot. Since its easier on my eyes and the type of shooting I do. The smaller 3MOA dot. Is more precise. But then again I'm not trying to focus and aim at a 1" target.

Red dots could work for you. You just need to get a bigger bull target. That way you can line up both circles ( Like an apature )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 am 

Will the scope focus in and give you a clear picture at the short distance? I hate fuzz. Could use Windex but spray it on soft cloth and wipe it, I don't spray lens then wipe. I use eye glass cleaner spray if it is absolutely necessary. But most times I used eye glass cleaner rags that don't use liquid. But most of my scopes are as much or more than price of the guns they are on.

I use a UTG Bugbuster in back room and it focuses down under 15 feet. 4X32

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 am 

Pretty much what leadslinger said. Red dot for faster relatively accurate target acquisition and scope for higher precision. It's not like you can't use a scope for fast target acquisition and they certainly do. I would lean towards a scope like the bug buster for most people not action shooting for close range with a rifle. I think Wes sells a version of the bug buster in the vector name brand too. Being able to focus your parallax down to 3m is cool. Literally shooting bugs at 9x mag at 5- yards is funny. It's true you don't need magnification at 10- yards but it sure doesn't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am 

I vote to the scope too~ however I doubt your Tasco scope can focus that close as my experience to this brand of scope, they looks for more longer distance....

I don't like dots now as the reason above I also find my eyes are not working well with the dots...

And so, my guns in the house have 3 40mm size scopes on 3 rifles then a small pistol scope on the P3... And use all these guns for less than 9 yards and they all works very well!

Sent from my LG cellphone

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:39 am 

I guess buying the red dot won’t hurt with it being only $30 and then I’ll have both options on hand.

Gonna have to see how much that scope you guys recommend costs, but I also don’t want to break the bank on optics.

I don’t remember the Tasco scope being fuzzy at all at shorter distances, but it’s alreafy on an old broken unused rifle so I’ll just take a look down range when I get home and see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am 

PM wesb2007. He's done good for our community.

Here is a link to the UTG Bug Buster SF clone that he sells.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/spike-3-12x ... act-scope/

or the orginal bug buster clone

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/ohhunt-3-9x ... cs-sights/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 am 

Ah doesn’t seem to bad. Probably gonna come to just under $100 with tax.

I’ll have to see, if the tasco is fuzzy, I may just buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 pm 

I got one of those Ohhunt 3-9X32 AO scopes in route that probably would give it a review.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm 

Okay,

I got home recently and looked down range, it doesn't seem fuzzy at all, it's only fuzzy when I look at something that is already extremely close to me. I think that's normal though?

I'm gonna relax a little now, but i'll clean it later and then see, and will report back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm 

Well.

I totally stripped the screws on the Tasco, so it's no good anyways. bugmaster it is!.

will have to shoot with the open sights until it comes in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 pm 

Just a thought to think about. Bugbusters are small scopes. I could not run them on a full size rifle stock like an Airhawk as they would sit to far ahead for me to be comfortable but are perfect for my little short 177 Grizzly Razor in the back room. Don't know the length of your gun.

Likely best to get one from Wes and he can check and make sure you get what you need for the gun. Tell him how far you shoot in your indoor range.

Last edited by wheeliehd on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Just a thought to think about. Bugbusters are small scopes. I could not run them on a full size rifle stock like an Airhawk as they would sit to far ahead for me to be comfortable but are perfect for my little short 177 Grizzly Razor in the back room. Don't know the length of your gun.

He could get a offset mount. Pushing it back. Its what I gotta do on the PP700SA with the stock.