Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 pm 

It's weird, I work 10 hours a week, and I have a lot more time on my hands than I did as a kid with school and all, but I feel like there's not enough for what I want to do.

I guess it's because I have too many hobbies, and things I want to do.

Here's just a few:

- Video Games
- Guns
- Vintage Computers and other technology (vinyl, cassette, 8-track, etc and their hardware as well)
- and other stuff.

I remember as a kid I was big into a game called Runescape. I first started playing it in late 2004 when I was 9 and 1/2 years old, and I played it religiously until around 2012 when it got so many updates it became unrecognizable to me, but then they released an "old school" version of it which was based around a backup from August 9. 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Qo2QZ8NE8

I would like to continue playing Runescape but every time I log on, I log off not longer after and don't log back on for a while after (weeks to months).

The thing is, I do have a lot of time on my hands, but I guess I need to manage my time more and not waste so much of it on youtube and facebook.

I don't know, it just feels weird having almost all my time free, but feeling like I don't have enough.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 am 

Haha I remember Runescape. That was fun stuff, but can be a huge time sink.

You gotta figure out what you really enjoy and prioritize your time to a select few. You can always rotate hobbies (especially the ones that are weather dependent). 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 am 

10 hours a week and 23 yeah old?

At your age I was working 50 hours a week or more,
And still had time to build cars etc.

Some days I put in 20 hours.

So kinda don't complain you have no time. When your only really working 2 hours for 5 days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 am 

The point is, I know I have a hell of a lot of time.

I just don't feel like I do, which is what makes it weird.

A game like Runescape is indeed a huge time sink if you wanna be good at it, and the culture has become so competitive and based on experience gain and grinding that it lost it's fun. I guess the fact that the players are no longer kids anymore and it doesn't posses us like it did when we were kids could explain a lot.

I will always come back to Runescape every now and then though, but I fear I will never play it like I once did. A consequence of growing up I guess.

Everything else I like doesn't involve a huge time investment so I can do those whenever I randomly feel like it.

I bought a bunch of DOS and Windows 3.1/95 game compilation CD's from a local thrift shop on Monday, and only played a bit with one of them so far, which is also weird because my Compaq Prolinea 4/66 (based on a 486DX2/66) (I am running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on it) is right beside me on my corner desk setup.

Here's a look at it:

I guess the issue is, I need to actually make better use of my time, and not just waste it away watching youtube videos all the goddam time, and, instead of just thinking about doing something, I should follow it through to make sure I actually do it more often.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 am 

Twiggy wrote:
I don't know, it just feels weird having almost all my time free, but feeling like I don't have enough.

Consider this an advance preview of what retirement is like. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 am 

lleader wrote:
Twiggy wrote:

Consider this an advance preview of what retirement is like. :lol:

I hate being retired at 34.. Well some days I enjoy it. No 6am, brushing snow to goto work. But I miss that routine. More you sit around the more you dwell, the less you do. Days go by, un-productive.

But I had friends, they're in their 30's still living with their parents. Just so they can afford their soup up cars, still living like they are 20s.

All I'll say is. If you hate people. Learn to like them. Get involved, get out, do something. I got 2 dogs that occupy my time, an older house, I go every week and shoot in a league. At least keep busy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 am 

If I wanted to play a game at your age it cost me a quarter and 10 cents for the bus ride. Go to bed on your 30th birthday and you wake up 50. :? :lol: Age 59 and still play hockey 3 days a week so I must be doing something right health wise. :D I am a human target. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 am 

Oh my god I wish I had half the time you have. I work 75 hours a week, have a family, house, dogs, a machining hobby, a secret guns hobby, sometimes a woodworking hobby, and no time for any of them. There's projects in the garage I'd love to pick back up... well, time to get up and go build someone's dream home.

Fully rebuilt Benjamin .22 classic
Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 am 

Carpenter84 wrote:
Oh my god I wish I had half the time you have. I work 75 hours a week, have a family, house, dogs, a machining hobby, a secret guns hobby, sometimes a woodworking hobby, and no time for any of them. There's projects in the garage I'd love to pick back up... well, time to get up and go build someone's dream home.

Have fun in the snow and -10 today. Looks like we got at least 6 inches of snow over night up here. :( I am not much better. Will be a busy furnace fixing day. First is hockey from 8:50 till 10am. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am 

Luckily I'm doing a basement. I don't work outside in the winter... or try not to anyways. Last year I was into a garage build until Dec. The stone work was touch and go as I didn't tent. Temperature was teetering on the cusp of tenting. Risky :shock: ... otherwise known as irresponsible...

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:01 am 

The crossroads. I take it you don't have kids. Negative time under those circumstances. Enjoy the freedom and use it wisely as time is a limited commodity. Once gone you can never get it back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am 

3 year old boy...

Some other junk rifles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 am 

Yes,

I don't have kids, and I don't ever desire kids.

It's not that I don't like people, I have no problem with people per say, I just don't like social activities much because most of the stuff I am into I have at home and can do alone. That said, some of the stuff I like does necessitate being with others (like my gun club) and so I am with other people at those times.

I just woke up today, but after my morning wake up period and breakfast, etc, I will first be going to play some Red Dead Redemption 2, then do some shooting, and then play with one of my vintage computers (the 486 prolinea), and I don't know after, maybe continue playing Wolfesntein II: The New Colussus.

Point is, I need to force myself to do things, rather than just want to do but procrastinate for one reason or the other.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am 

Your like is exactly that. Yours. Live it as you see fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 am 

Yup that's my life philosophy that people should be their own "god", make their own decisions, think for themselves, take responsibility for their own actions, live their lives their way.

I guess the time has come that I want to make a change in my life, to actually do more of the things I want to do but seldom end up doing for some reason. May take some force at first but hopefully after a while, I will just do things I want to do, rather than just thinking about it but but ending up wasting time on youtube and facebook more often than not.