Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 am 

I had ordered some stuff through a seller here on CAF [WES if he doesn't mind me saying]. I knew there would be duty all fine, Paid with visa 2 days ago $14.89 to save $5.00 if driver has to collect. Then see another invoice after it was released for $20.54. What the heck is that about?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am 

topher1266 wrote:
I had ordered some stuff through a seller here on CAF [WES if he doesn't mind me saying]. I knew there would be duty all fine, Paid with visa 2 days ago $14.89 to save $5.00 if driver has to collect. Then see another invoice after it was released for $20.54. What the heck is that about?

Best bet is to contact Wes, and ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm 

Not his fault. He asked for it to be shipped USPS but they sent it UPS. UPS is looking into it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 pm 

Dang. I'm sorry for the 1st charge, now a second..

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 pm 

They're probably brokerage fees. Call them and say you're gonna do it yourself and see if it works.
And if someone has a good broker for US shipping, please share!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 pm 

The only time I've had to pay duty I just paid it once and that was the end of it, I have another package probably gonna get here Monday with $17.74 in duties, and that should be the end of it too.

I have no idea why there would be a second charge.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm 

Duties, or are you confusing taxes plus Customs handling charge of $5.00 with the word Duty.
I haven't paid any duty for years - free trade agreement and all.
When I was buying pipe tobacco from "The Tobacco Barn" in California, one in 5 of the 2-pound packages would be stopped in customs and I had to pay $150.00 tariff on it - no duty, just tariff.
This brought my cost to $185.00 Canadian, which was still $215.00 less than the same amount of pipe tobacco here in PG. On top of that, the custom blend
I bought was wonderful tobacco, taste and smell.
The other 4 packages arrived in my mail box, no customs charge - came straight through USPS them Canada Post. Total cost was $32.00 for each blister pack, containing 2 pounds tobacco.
At that time, Amphora Pipe Tobacco was $24.95 for 2 oz. package locally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm 

Many outfits in the States automatically ship UPS because UPS picks up parcels at their place of business.

If you demand they send it parcel post, ie: USPS, they usually comply. Never had one not do that, but

there is always a possibility of communication break-down between the person taking the order and the

one filling it, in-store, then AUTOMATICALLY calling UPS for a pick-up. I suggest you NOT accept the parcel

if if comes UPS. Standard procedure is for UPS Canada to charge up to 33% of the declared value as brokerage fees.

This is exactly what they attempted to charge my brother for a sword from Georgia - $300.00 for brokerage on the $1,000.00 item.

Private citizens do NOT need a broker to clear items. Canada Customs does that automatically, but now charge $5.00 or $10.00 for their 'handling fees".

Businesses use brokers for clearing large shipments, then spread the cost over all items brought in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 am 

I have called UPS several times and had the charges removed. Every time they get me unhappy on the phone they say "oh it does not apply to this shipment" and remove the charges. It was a Hassel to get a phone number to get them more direct. I am starting to think the are just collecting easy money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 am 

UPS had/has a class action lawsuit against them. In the past they would not allow the receiver to clear the package themselves and would use their broker exclusively.
They will always nail you for tax, broker fee, and a cod fee if they dont have a credit card on file. UPS sucks for cross border shipments.
If you must use them, open an account. Accounts are free and they give you reduced rates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:19 pm 

Back in the late 1990's, a local Canadian Custom's Officer told me they "barely operate within the law".
That was the result of my approaching her because a friend of mine was charged $9.00 brokerage fee
by UPS on a parcel valued at $20.00, from the States. Seems to me, exchange was almost par, then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Back in the late 1990's, a local Canadian Custom's Officer told me they "barely operate within the law".
That was the result of my approaching her because a friend of mine was charged $9.00 brokerage fee
by UPS on a parcel valued at $20.00, from the States. Seems to me, exchange was almost par, then.

The "barely" part was not correct. They were breaking the law by refusing to allow anyone but their "broker" to clear shipments.
Once the got served with the lawsuit, they started allowing the customer to arrange clearance.
The problem lies in using a courier. When Canada Post is involved, customs will clear it on their own, and you get charged 5.00 as a result. Couriers have to have someone present the paperwork to customs for clearance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm 

UPS are scammers had something shipped from U.S. they charged me all kinds of B.S. fees
fought them and got my money back will never used them again...actually little correction I never used them
to begin with the other party did.... :axe:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 pm 

Got a cheque in the mail today...

Quote:
UPS BROKERAGE FEES CLASS ACTION
NOTICE OF SETTLEMENT APPROVAL
This notice is directed to Ontario Consumers who received a shipment from UPS using UPS' Standard Service and utilizing a UPS Waybill or International Pracel Shipping Order, originating from an international destination, and who, during the period July 24, 2005 to August 27, 2011, paid Additional Fees to UPS upon delivery.

Quote:
You have been identified as a Class Member based on shipping records provided by UPS.

Quite honestly, I don't even recall a shipment in the stated period although that was a while back and these days, I can barely recall what happened yesterday... LOL.

Just wondering if anyone here who has been scammed got the same notice?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:38 pm 

Wife and I just got 27 dollar cheques each ($54 total) through the class action law suit that they settled out of court. Over priced brokerage charges. But saying that, we have bought over ten thousand dollars worth of equipment from the US. So a twenty seven dollar cheque that everyone gets is likely not an even way to split. :roll: CHEERS!