Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:56 am 

You know how when you buy something, you know it will end up costing you a certain percentage more (13% here in Ontario), because of sales taxes?

Well, when I was in Poland and I went to buy a Marilyn Manson T-Shirt from a vendor, I asked them how much it would come to with tax, and they were confused, and didn't know what the hell I was talking about. My father who is originally from Poland and can obviously speak Polish fluently and understands Poland much more than me explained to me that the tax is already included in the price.

I also just recently watched a video by an Irish youtuber who said that "tax at the till" (having tax counted only at checkout) is weird and that they also have the tax already included in the price.

I think we should adopt the Polish, Irish, (probably many other European nations as well), sales tax system.

I mean, it would be much more straight forward, people would have an easier time knowing what something is going to cost them, and there won't be any big surprises about what something ends up costing, because you'd know from the start.

I mean we do have provinces here in Canada, and the U.S has states which can differ the sales tax a bit, but I know for sure that Poland also has provinces as well, so if Poland can manage it, why can't we?

P.S: There's also another weird difference between Poland and Canada/US, and that's washrooms. Again, when I was in Poland, I had to pay to use a public washroom, and the washroom attendant (yes there was an attendant) found it weird when I locked the door to my stall. (I guess privacy isn't a thing there?..).

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am 

Cuba has no toilet seats unless you go to a high class restaurant. Not what we call high class. :lol: What was your question? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am 

VAT ( value-added tax ) is a European thing and used a lot. Good luck having the government adopt it. All the government knows is taxes. This and that taxes. Taxes for everything. Heck you buy a car, you pay the tax, you sell it, that person pays the tax, etc etc etc.. If I car switched hands 10 times, there taxes paid on it each time. To the point it's probably more than the car was worth new.

I live in 15% sales tax. Milk went up to 7.65 $ for a gallon jug one month. Because some dairy farm feud.

I got out of the service in 2013. Ive been owning CRA for the last 5 years 2-4K a year. I had 2000$ more taken away in taxes last year, and still owed 1800$. Thanks to Trudeau, everybody going to pay 2000$ more this year. So I expect to pay 4K this year.

Avg Canadian salary, 42% is taxes. Ever heard taxation is theft? Government needs there taxes.

If you want to talk about toilets. Goto a Middle East country.. Like Dubai, Afghanistan. You might see a western toilet in a hotel.. But most bathrooms are holes in the ground, marks to place your feet, And a handle to hold onto. A garden hose to wash up.. No hand towels, paper towel etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am 

I don't see any reason for the government not to adopt it, I mean the amount of sales tax would still be the same, only it would already have been calculated and added to the price of the item.

Maybe some kind of psychological trickery like things costing $1.99 instead of $2.00?

Tax wise, I've been lucky so far, I don't own any property or anything, so no property taxes. All the income taxes I have paid were automatically deducted from my pay anyways, which is how I get those tax credits (or at least I guess, seeing how my family's accountant handles all that).

Current job I have, I still pay EI and CPP, but I don't make enough to even pay income tax, so I don't pay that right now. EI and CPP is only a few dollars anyways, so it doesn't really phase me as I'm not against the concept of either EI or CPP so as long as it isn't too much I don't mind contributing. I mean the slight deduction I get from my ODSP due to my work income slightly going over the allowed amount without deductions, is more than EI, CPP, and Taxes combined, and still isn't that bad. Still have like $500 more than if I wasn't working at all. So I have no reason to complain.

Speaking of selling cars, I haven't bought or sold a car, so I have no experience in it, but I guess it is a lot more regulated than private sales of most things?

I mean, I've sold three guns so far, never had to charge tax for any of them. When I sold my BMX I also didn't have to charge tax, etc.

I have a Realistic SCT-32 Cassette Deck (Vintage 3-head deck from 1982) coming in from Florida, supposed to be here Tuesday, CBSA a couple days ago determined I owe almost $18 in Duty/Tax on it, which isn't bad at all, but is confusing. I also once had to pay $25 of duty/tax on a Nakamichi CR-1A Cassette Deck from the U.S as well.

I mean, I've bought three vintage computers from ebay sellers in the US, and they never got stopped and processed by CBSA, and I never had to pay anything on them. I don't understand what's the big difference between vintage computers and vintage cassette decks?

When the Nakamichi CR-1A was delivered, the post lady told me it was completely random, that some things get stopped, and some things do not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with CBSA and non-suspicious packages to me.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I don't see any reason for the government not to adopt it, I mean the amount of sales tax would still be the same, only it would already have been calculated and added to the price of the item.

Maybe some kind of psychological trickery like things costing $1.99 instead of $2.00?

Tax wise, I've been lucky so far, I don't own any property or anything, so no property taxes. All the income taxes I have paid were automatically deducted from my pay anyways, which is how I get those tax credits (or at least I guess, seeing how my family's accountant handles all that).

Current job I have, I still pay EI and CPP, but I don't make enough to even pay income tax, so I don't pay that right now. EI and CPP is only a few dollars anyways, so it doesn't really phase me as I'm not against the concept of either EI or CPP so as long as it isn't too much I don't mind contributing. I mean the slight deduction I get from my ODSP due to my work income slightly going over the allowed amount without deductions, is more than EI, CPP, and Taxes combined, and still isn't that bad. Still have like $500 more than if I wasn't working at all. So I have no reason to complain.

Speaking of selling cars, I haven't bought or sold a car, so I have no experience in it, but I guess it is a lot more regulated than private sales of most things?

I mean, I've sold three guns so far, never had to charge tax for any of them. When I sold my BMX I also didn't have to charge tax, etc.

I have a Realistic SCT-32 Cassette Deck (Vintage 3-head deck from 1982) coming in from Florida, supposed to be here Tuesday, CBSA a couple days ago determined I owe almost $18 in Duty/Tax on it, which isn't bad at all, but is confusing. I also once had to pay $25 of duty/tax on a Nakamichi CR-1A Cassette Deck from the U.S as well.

I mean, I've bought three vintage computers from ebay sellers in the US, and they never got stopped and processed by CBSA, and I never had to pay anything on them. I don't understand what's the big difference between vintage computers and vintage cassette decks?

When the Nakamichi CR-1A was delivered, the post lady told me it was completely random, that some things get stopped, and some things do not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with CBSA and non-suspicious packages to me.

I paid into EI for 12 years, never could claim it. They are suppose to take the right about of income tax out. But they in 5 years never did. Each year I keep on increasing the number. So un top of the taxes that comes out of my benefit/pension.. It's costing me 180$ a month to pay back the previous year, and 150$ extra I take out a month.

Normally private sales you don't need to charge taxes. But a lot of business will on used items. Because they are normally required to do so. Cars. Access NS, makes you pay the tax, upon registering it. You used to get away with making a random number. So cheat the system. But now they are going by blue book.

But something you always going to pay, is taxes. And it's getting worst and worst each year of a doofus in power.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 pm 

Moved to a small town 25 years ago from the city of Kitchener and I always remember my uncle saying, "don't bring your big city ideas to our small town", and my response was "my god you still have manual doors at your beer store". People get complacent and don't like change. Met may people from travelling and you say you are from Canada and they all say, "oh, you are from that quiet country". Now have a bed ridden wife and have to stay home. You are young and enjoy life because you can go to sleep one night and get up in the morning and your life is totally changed. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day. Used to shoot for big bow companies and all that came to a screeching haul. CHEERS!

Last edited by wheeliehd on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 pm 

Niagara Falls is certainly a city and some of the beer stores here still have manual doors, so do lots of other places.

It is true thought that Canadians generally have a good reputation around the world. I mean whenever people find out I am Canadian they all say they want to move to Canada. If they live in the bible-belt, I actually do encourage them to move here.

This is actually a pretty good country.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:40 pm 

I like Niagara Falls. My uncle was a salesman their years ago for Labatt's Brewery. He would give me his card and everything everywhere was free. Even got to change the nights at the Canadian falls when they were manual. Had like a 30X8 foot wall with nothing but manual switchs and we changed colors for about 2 hours. The people were lucky that were there visiting that night. I have a picture around here of it somewhere. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm 

There's a relatively new Zipline here that goes from the lookout point, down to the base of the old hydro plant, very close to the Canadian side of the waterfalls themselves.

I worked there for a season and a bit. I must've rode down it like 50 times for free, which is good because it costs $49.99 each ride.

There were some things like too strong winds, lightening/thunder storms, etc that could cause a temporary or even permanent shutdown. Sometimes the wind was so strong from the start and there was no sign of it getting better that we were just sent home for the day and sometimes told to not even come in to work at all. It was kind of nice to have a surprise day off, but it also came at the cost of a day's pay.

They're rather faint, but here you can see the lines, there's 4 of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:18 pm 

WOW right by the barrel run which I really enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Moved to a small town 25 years ago from the city of Kitchener and I always remember my uncle saying, "don't bring your big city ideas to our small town", and my response was "my god you still have manual doors at your beer store". People get complacent and don't like change. Met may people from travelling and you say you are from Canada and they all say, "oh, you are from that quiet country". Now have a bed ridden wife and have to stay home. You are young and enjoy life because you can go to sleep one night and get up in the morning and your life is totally changed. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day. Used to shoot for big bow companies and all that came to a screeching haul. CHEERS!

I moved from Halifax, to small town called Nictaux. Nictaux just has a cross road, with a fire station, convenience store/gas station, church and cemetery, food bank and Carquest, oh and a new tire shop just opened up behind the convenience store.

The bigger town ( Middleton 4km away) just got it first traffic light 3 years ago. Every business pretty much shuts down at 5.. It becomes a ghost town. only thing open past 5, is Tim Hortons, pharmacy, 2 small grocery stores, a bar, couple gas stations and NSLC. All hardware stores close, dollar store, book shop, hair dressers etc.

Few towns over ( Greenwood ) they got a Walmart still with manual doors. The automatic on the exit is always broken..

But that's what I found... Nobody wants to change. Everybody stuck in their ways. There is 3 restaurants. You put a blind fold on, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. All the same bland grey hair food. First thing out of someone mouth when you ask them how they are doing? Is their long list of medical issues. Small towns are soo depressing. Then get into needing a plumber or electrician. Their worth ethic is non existing. Mom waited 5 months for a plumber to move a toilet. After saying yup yup, we will be here. Different way of life here. If there is 2 people in a line up, someone will make a scene.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 pm 

leadslinger your town is smaller than mine. We have 5500 people. Guess I live in a big town. We now have auto doors on beer store. LOL
We have big military base along the water. town is growing massively as all the Toronto people are moving here in flocks now. Darn cityidiots! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 pm 

Life in big cities, truly big cities can be stressful and really busy, so I understand those like my parents who wanted to move out into the country a little and take things slower.

We live in the middle of nowhere, but not that far in the middle of nowhere, so we can still drive into a few near by cities when we need to get stuff done. We no longer have all the stress and rush of the city though.

There's also a reason I do most of my shopping online though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:57 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Life in big cities, truly big cities can be stressful and really busy, so I understand those like my parents who wanted to move out into the country a little and take things slower.

We live in the middle of nowhere, but not that far in the middle of nowhere, so we can still drive into a few near by cities when we need to get stuff done. We no longer have all the stress and rush of the city though.

There's also a reason I do most of my shopping online though.

So true. What we used to go thought to buy stuff before internet. Now we can get anything we want. yes life is relaxed in a small place. My kids are all in the city making a living. They will be back here someday when they realize that they don't need as much money away from the city. Want a loaf of bread here just stop on the road with your flashers on and run into store. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
leadslinger your town is smaller than mine. We have 5500 people. Guess I live in a big town. We now have auto doors on beer store. LOL
We have big military base along the water. town is growing massively as all the Toronto people are moving here in flocks now. Darn cityidiots! :lol:

I grew up always around Airforce bases. Born in Cold Lake Alberta ( 4 Wing ) Then dad got posted to 12 Wing Shearwater ( Dartmouth NS ) then 14 Wing Greenwood, then back to Shearwater. Then parents split up. He moved to Ontario. So CFB Petawawa.

I grew up mainly in a town called Lower Sackville. ( Sack Vegas ) was it nickname that was 100,000 People, then I moved into the City of Halifax ( 300K + ) But then out this way.

They say Middleton is around 2000 people, I say Nictaux might be a several hundred. We got a transit bus... LOL bus stop a KM away. Runs every 2 hours. But HEY they got wifi.

Moms town is more spread out. Little more RURAL. Zero stores. Might have less. We got 14 Wing Greenwood about 12 KM away. Greenwood/Kingston are the big populated areas. Where all the malls and such are.

We gotta drive 50km to goto a Home Depot, or a Kent. For hardware store we got a small Rona or Home Hardware. So alot of the time you gotta make due. We have very little for electronic stores. No Best Buys, no real big pet stores. So 90% of our shopping is online. Or make a trip into the city.

Thursday I had to go into the city for wife's Surgery.. Well I hit rush hour and didn't I curse? Then trying to leave down town Halifax at 4pm, took me 30 -40 mins just to get to the outskirts. None of us really missed his.

But one thing I found about being rural. Everything else is more $$. Because they know Miss Daisy isn't going to drive 20mins to a Superstore. If she did, would take her a year to get there. Jumping in her huge Buick, going 30 down a 80 zone, barely seeing over the steering wheel.

But main reason why I moved out this way.. You cannot hear CRAP.... 11pm, you hear nothing.. No fart can civics going down the road at mach 10.. Houses are cheap and you get land.

But then I found, property tax is high.