Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm 

I've just gotten back from seeing the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.

I went in with a bias because I heard a rumor which I now know to be false, about the movie not even mentioning Freddy Mercury's sexuality. I now know that to be false, and it is a phenomenal film.

It's a great film, I knew a little about Freddy before that he was of Parsi decent, was gay, and ended up dying of aids.

I do think Rami Malek did a great job playing Freddy and that his casting was a good choice.

I also like the fact that all the music used in the movie was either by Queen or other rock acts, and was appropriate for the time period that the scene was currently set in.

I think my father probably enjoyed it more because he was a teen in the mid 70's and so was around when Queen made it big and was a thing, and even in communist Poland at that time he said they listened to lots of rock music.

I also find it interesting that I much prefer the music from my father's childhood and younger years, than that from mine, generally speaking. It's just better, there is no music better than rock. I also make fun of all these mumble rappers my generation is apparently obsessed with because their faces look like a detention desk, and their teeth look like they got punched in them.

There was one scene in which the band was giving a press conference and Freddy was being harassed by reporters about his sexuality, his parties, and general life style, etc and I loved the come backs like "why don't you develop some manners?" and "what about your lack of sexuality", and the best one to a female reporter that was harassing him about his sexuality and family "does that thing between your legs bite?".

The last scene which was the "Live Aid" scene was very powerful it was basically a small Queen performance with all the great songs, a very good performance as Freddy on stage from Rami Malek, interspersed with some quick camera shots of his family, and the old record label that refused to make "Bohemian Rhapsody" and single and lost queen being all depressed. I don't know who really did the singing, if Rami Malek actually sang as well, or if he was just lip syncing to someone else's singing the singer was great and as I already said, Rami did a great acting performance as Freddy, but if he sang as well, than damn, Rami Malek is a better actor than I thought.

All in all great film, this is worth paying money to see.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Last edited by Twiggy on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:42 pm 

I watched it on the first week it was out last xmas break, it was definitely timely in the movie being release right now as people understand more the sexuality rights compare to that time, and aids epidemic. Freddie Mercury was actually Persian descend and He grew up in India and move to England after. Queen's music is really great and timeless compare to music that came out nowaday's, it was really too bad that we lost Freddie Mercury, love his voice and songs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 pm 

Yes that's right Persian descent. His family fled Muslim persecution in India, ran to Persia, and then to the UK later. Got a little confused because a few people in the film called him a "Paki".

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 pm 

I have "A Night at the Opera" on 8-Track all repaired in good condition too.

luckily I have 3 devices which can play 8-tracks, one fireplace 70's stereo console, one stand alone player, and one Webcor receiver from 1973 with an 8-track player.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
I've just gotten back from seeing the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.

I went in with a bias because I heard a rumor which I now know to be false, about the movie not even mentioning Freddy Mercury's sexuality.
I now know that to be false, and it is a phenomenal film.

not sure where you would have heard that... its a documentary of the band so for sure they would have to
mention it specially this day and age and Rami Malek would have to play the part of Freddy Mercury's sexuality or it wouldn't be a documentary
Rami Malek did all his research on Freddy before doing the movie including getting info from remaining band members.

Twiggy wrote:

I think my father probably enjoyed it more because he was a teen in the mid 70's
I also find it interesting that I much prefer the music from my father's childhood and younger years, than that from mine, generally speaking.
It's just better, there is no music better than rock..

that's because that's when music was real music...there is still some decent music its just harder to come by
now a days... :wink: